U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Reputation: 2524

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
All sorts of things are possible, including a camel getting through of the eye of a needle. In my eyes, those I have known who achieved their millionaire status, did an awful lot of stepping on people to get there. Or else simply inherited the machinery or the inventory, which is hardly a valid way of judging whether they deserve it or not.
So still, you are making an assumption that because you have seen this on others someone else cannot be an honest individual. To me I call that stereotyping.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2009, 01:32 PM
 
21 posts, read 305,227 times
Reputation: 13
I'm going to ask this again.

Can anybody name a preacher who is being paid $1 million or more per year FROM HIS CHURCH?

Unless there are such people, this entire thread is rather inane, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hard View Post
I'm going to ask this again.

Can anybody name a preacher who is being paid $1 million or more per year FROM HIS CHURCH?

Unless there are such people, this entire thread is rather inane, right?
Maybe ask the OP writer if he knows since he or she brought up the point. I would think it is not off the ballpark to say he is referring to someone he knows makes that much money for him or her to ask that question.

Even if there is not such people the philosophical point at discussion can make the thread worth exchanging views.

However, I do not see that happening as something out of this world.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh but I'm ready to relocate......
727 posts, read 1,650,835 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Just a question,not to get to controversial on the subject. Religion can cause heated conversation. Is it fair for a mega church to pay these salary? Would you attend a church that pays a million or two for salary?

I would like to think a preacher will preach God words out of the kindness of his heart,instead of a paycheck. If a preacher give most of his time to church,he should be compensated,but not that much. I think a normal salary is ok,no more than the average members salaries whom pays their tithes. Example, a pastor with a 1.5 million salary,but the people who attends the church live in stricken neighborhoods,which the church itself is located in a poor neighborhood.
I think first........Money is a blessing! I'll say that....and I do think that theres no pricetag or cap on the word that a Preacher/Reverend/Pastor preaches. I do know that the Bible says "A camel can go through an eye of a needle before a rich man can enter heaven." And what that means is to me is if your labeling yourself rich that means you put that wealth before God.......IMO. If theres a preacher that is blessed wealthy and isnt supporting the people that support him......Imo that man needs to seek further into himself and he needs to have a conversation with himself and God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh but I'm ready to relocate......
727 posts, read 1,650,835 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hard View Post
I'm going to ask this again.

Can anybody name a preacher who is being paid $1 million or more per year FROM HIS CHURCH?

Unless there are such people, this entire thread is rather inane, right?
Exactly.......I dont think so either. I would say TD Jakes is blessed wealthy but he does alot with his blessings from what I see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
 
782 posts, read 3,431,994 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hard View Post
I'm going to ask this again.

Can anybody name a preacher who is being paid $1 million or more per year FROM HIS CHURCH?

Unless there are such people, this entire thread is rather inane, right?
I will not list names. The debate is about churches paying million dollar salaries to preachers. We all should known names of pastors who were under investigation of their lavish lifestyle. If you don't know goggle it. I have a problem with understanding why will a church pay millions to interpret the bible,which you can read yourself and try to get an understanding yourself. I believe in God is the creator and Jesus is our load and savior. I never heard of stories of Jesus getting rich from healing the sick and preaching the word of God. If I'm wrong set me straight. I also believe and separation between church and state. How you be a leader of your flock and a politician. If your getting paid a salary should they be devoted to the church instead of worrying about what Iran is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
 
782 posts, read 3,431,994 times
Reputation: 398
The church I'm talking about isn't a mega-church like creflo dollar or benny hinn. Few thousand not tens of thousands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
So still, you are making an assumption that because you have seen this on others someone else cannot be an honest individual. To me I call that stereotyping.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
I stereotype every day. A car going by with a trunk full of vibrating woofers repeating the F-word over and over is being driven by a black guy. People speaking Spanish in the supermarket are Hispanic. People who ride the bus can't afford cars, or their license has been suspended. Kids whose mom drives them to daycare in a 15-year old car have no father at home. Grossly overweight people eat out a lot. People buying lottery tickets are maxxed out on their credit card.

Sometimes Im wrong, but stereotypes are a fairly good general guide. All those people above, I just let them go and do what they want, and I don't judge them, so it doesn't matter if I stereotype them or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 05:27 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,755,085 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I stereotype every day. A car going by with a trunk full of vibrating woofers repeating the F-word over and over is being driven by a black guy. People speaking Spanish in the supermarket are Hispanic. People who ride the bus can't afford cars, or their license has been suspended. Kids whose mom drives them to daycare in a 15-year old car have no father at home. Grossly overweight people eat out a lot. People buying lottery tickets are maxxed out on their credit card.

Sometimes Im wrong, but stereotypes are a fairly good general guide. All those people above, I just let them go and do what they want, and I don't judge them, so it doesn't matter if I stereotype them or not.
Stereotypes can be negative and/or wrong.
Where I think you are wrong in stereotyping is to conclude that because other priest have gone wrong to expect all will be wrong. Not all blacks will have a trunk full of vibrating woofers, are they?
People who ride bus can't afford cars? Wow! That is a good one. Many may decide to ride a bus because they rather not bother with the hassles of parking and the rush hour. Many in Washington D.C. do that. Go to the parking lot of the Pentagon and you will see how lots of people commute to work every day and they do have cars.
Kids whose mom take them to daycare in a 15 year old car have no father at home? That is another one. You are really stretching it.

Stereotyping to such extent may be a possible indicator of a close mind and just lump label people, usually in a negative way as you provided the examples. You did not gave a single positive example. To me that seems to be you judge people very much.
I do not deny that there are certain habits that may provide a clue as to what people may do but there is a difference of expecting a priest to be bad because you have seen others bad examples.

The hispanic example, by the way, is not a good one. Of course if you hear them speak Spanish is a given. Had you written that if you see a hispanic group you would expect they speak spanish simply because of their looks, that is stereotyping.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
 
21 posts, read 305,227 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
I will not list names. The debate is about churches paying million dollar salaries to preachers. We all should known names of pastors who were under investigation of their lavish lifestyle. If you don't know goggle it. I have a problem with understanding why will a church pay millions to interpret the bible,which you can read yourself and try to get an understanding yourself. I believe in God is the creator and Jesus is our load and savior. I never heard of stories of Jesus getting rich from healing the sick and preaching the word of God. If I'm wrong set me straight. I also believe and separation between church and state. How you be a leader of your flock and a politician. If your getting paid a salary should they be devoted to the church instead of worrying about what Iran is doing.
I'm guessing you won't list names because you can't. And there's no debate if there are no churches paying preachers million dollar salaries.

I know there are preachers who make a LOT of money from book sales, etc (Joel Osteen comes to mind). But I seriously doubt there are any that make anywhere near $1 million per year, in salary, from a church.


I think it's also relevant to note that a $50,000 per year salary will go a long ways for a guy living in a rural area, but it's not much for a guy living in an expensive urban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top