U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times

Advertisements

Who cares what a pastor gets paid by his church? Really, whose business is it? Nobody is being coerced to do anything. It's not public money. And while it may be absolutely stupid, if a church decides to pay a guy a million a year, it's pretty much their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:23 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,615,444 times
Many of the churches that call themselves Christian are actually worshipping Satan in the guise of Mammon and the parishioners do not realize it. The preachers certainly do and have decided earthly rewards like money, sex and drugs in the here and now, are far more important than taking a chance that heaven or hell does not exist.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,643,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whips View Post
Just a question,not to get to controversial on the subject. Religion can cause heated conversation. Is it fair for a mega church to pay these salary? Would you attend a church that pays a million or two for salary?

I would like to think a preacher will preach God words out of the kindness of his heart,instead of a paycheck. If a preacher give most of his time to church,he should be compensated,but not that much. I think a normal salary is ok,no more than the average members salaries whom pays their tithes. Example, a pastor with a 1.5 million salary,but the people who attends the church live in stricken neighborhoods,which the church itself is located in a poor neighborhood.
The Bible says 'A man is worth his wages' ...but shelling out a Million Dollars to a Pastor is not only rediculous, but, its a poor testimony because Christ and his Disciples were homeless/poor/and didnt lavish in materialism. I believe a Pastor should get adequately compensated because they do work hard and are genuinely concerned for peoples wellbeing, but, folks like Benny Hinn give Christianity a black eye....both for his lavish living as well as his utterly heretical teachings with Dog and Pony Onstage antics. Thats not to say ALL Televangelists are Charletons...many are not . And its a shame the Critics of the Christian Faith dont want to admit this and would rather lump all Leaders into one Melting Pot. Jesus Christ is still the only hope for this nation regardless of the abundance of prosperity preachers for personal gain.

If youve never seriously investigated the credibility for the Christian Faith, you need to because your eternity may hang on it ; heres the absolute best source ive found where you can get scholarly , historically accurate, scientifically accurate Evidences for God, Christ, his Ressurection, Life after Death , Miracles , etc... : www.impactapologetics.com . My personal favorite is the featured book called :" I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist" which combines the Evidences for the Christian Faith with the impossible faith an atheist has to have to believe in its tenets. Regards.

Last edited by RVlover; 10-06-2009 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: add

Old 10-06-2009, 03:31 PM

777 posts, read 1,096,519 times
Let’s say the million-dollar preacher converts only one single non-believer during his long 40 year career behind the pulpit. That one saved soul would think it was $40,000,000 well spent—having a avoided an eternity in the fiery pit thanks to the high paid preacher.

Cost per year of fiery pit avoidance = $40mil / infinity, a very small amount.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Letís say the million-dollar preacher converts only one single non-believer during his long 40 year career behind the pulpit. That one saved soul would think it was $40,000,000 well spentóhaving a avoided an eternity in the fiery pit thanks to the high paid preacher.

Cost per year of fiery pit avoidance = $40mil / infinity, a very small amount.
Thats an interesting scenario , but, its not The Preacher who converts anyone ; its "hearing The Gospel" which allows people to see their need to be saved from their many sins by Christs sufficient atonement. And if its not the 40 million dollar per year Preacher he hears it from, then it could be any number of Preachers or any Christian for that matter. BUT...if it WAS the high paid Preacher , he still isnt justified in getting that sort of financial renumeration. Do u agree ?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:57 PM

8,998 posts, read 12,773,128 times
If the members of his/her church don't have a problem with it, why not?

Old 10-06-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
If the members of his/her church don't have a problem with it, why not?
Because :

1. It gives The Christian Faith a black eye with Preachers making an excessive salary.

2. The money beyond which he SHOULD be paid, could go to much needed Ministries within that Church and/or outside Ministries that meet the basic needs of people in this Country or thruout the World.

3. The money beyond which he SHOULD be paid, could go toward paying off the Churches mortgage .

4. When Preachers make a salary of $40 million dollars per year, they usually have a big shift in priorities and start making idols in their life like expensive cars, air plane, thousand dollar Suits, the finest of Hotels, exotic Vacations .... all of which denigrates the Christian Faith and/or The Church in which he serves.

5. Christ, whom the Preacher and all Christians are supposed to immulate, was an unassuming, meek, gentle, and giving Person who didnt even have a place to lay his head ; while Christians arent called to a life of poverty, they must make sure they dont become too influenced by the worlds system for success, power, prestige , etc... and huge sums of money pushes a person in that direction almost universally.

6. A super large Salary often causes the person to rely FAR LESS on God for his needs ; and that isnt a good thing.

7. A Preacher making $40 million per year fuels the already popular opinion that many Preachers are just Charletons and money hungry Carnivores .

8. It would probably cause division within his Church with ordinary Lay people possibly struggling to make a living yet being faithful to give their weekly Tithe...while their Leader is basking in a life of luxury to excess.

9. His Congregation may feel quite challenged in having respect and honor toward him if they feel he is way overpaid ... which would be exasterpated when he pulls up in a sparkling new top of the line Mercedes.

10. MANY super wealthy Preachers have fallen away from the Faith due to the effect it has on them personally .

11. It could very likely cause division within his own family when it comes to inheritances if he showed financial favor toward One child and not another.

12. It often incites suspicion as to how he is using his great wealth.

13. It often leads to money-obsession whereby He could get into illegal or immoral dealings resulting in regret and/or incarceration . That would be bad publicity for his Church, his Family, and for the cause of Christ overall. The love of money is the root of evil.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM

711 posts, read 1,282,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I worked 41 years for Union Carbide Corporation. I hired at about $65 a week in 1952. My first union job paid about $125 a week afterI topped in the grade. My last twenty five years I was the section supervisor in one of the largest mainframe computing centers in the country. My annual salary was $44,500 when I retired in 1993.

In 2007 the median income for single earner families by state ranged from $31,000 in Mississippi to $55,000 in New Jersey. Considering that folks have to live from their income I think maybe a million dollars is still a lot of money.

Imagine how much higher your annual salary could have been if Union Carbide didn,t kill those few hundred people from its poison gas leak at their Bophel plant in India. I think they are still paying that one off.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:08 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,640,572 times
Most churches are just that, money making machines.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:21 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Most churches are just that, money making machines.
Wow, another well thought-out confession.

The overwhelming majority of churches operate on a tiny budget. Unfortunately, you're not understanding that hasn't kept you from exposing your hateful little bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or