U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 07:57 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,113,623 times

Advertisements

If they look around them at the world and see that what they see agrees with the stats they most likely do. If they don't they may think that its true in other p[alces toher than where they live. Especailly if they see its common on TV .
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:12 PM

4,179 posts, read 9,124,999 times
Gosh, yes, because we all know TV is reality. Why, the reality shows - and the types of audiences they draw, breathlessly watching, even arguing and disagreeing over who's going to do what to whom, every week - prove it, don't they?

Like Jim Cantore standing in knee-deep water in downtown Charleston, SC, talking about how "global warming causes the tides to flood these streets" - except that those streets flood every time there is a heavy dew, and always have, because the sewer system in Charleston is circa 1860. People will believe anything they are told, with pictures to "prove" it.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:48 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,790,764 times
subsound wrote;
Quote:
Or my favorite, the "Jaws Study" of 95% of shark attacks happen within 10 miles of shore. Well, it's not like they are going to come to your house and bite you...and most people don't go more then that to have a jaunty swim, and most sharks aren't out there because there's less to eat in the open ocean.
It's been proven over and over that 95% of all motor vehicle accidents occur within 10 miles of home. A lot of people moved when they found that out.

Sometimes a little THOUGHT can go a long way. Back in the mid-70s there was a bit to-do about the amount of "stuff" going into landfills. I think someone may have testified to Congress that 50% of the paper going into landfills was disposable diapers! I didn't live in the US at the time, so I was only vaguely aware of disposable diapers, but I thought that was pretty unlikely unless 50% of the paper being produced was disposable diapers!

I think it's Dr. Dean Edell who says that almost 100% of the people involved in traffic accidents have eaten peas or carrots within 72 hours of the accident. Ahhhhh! It's time to outlaw peas and carrots.

golfgod

Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,472,599 times
the government lies like a rug.
only 1/3 of crime here is reported by the cops.
editor of KSUN called saunders on it when he was chief of police
a live TV shoutout.
remember when chevron and DC told us gas price flucuation were not relative to consumption??
liar liar pants on fire.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 PM

1,628 posts, read 5,778,672 times
It has been proven that smoking is the leading cause of statistics.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,469,438 times
Never. They're never right.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:43 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Nevertheless, I will continue to search for statistics rather than admit I was wrong. Or even worse, that you were right.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:00 AM

2,008 posts, read 2,910,861 times
82% of statistics are made up on the spot...

Old 05-27-2009, 08:01 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
82% of statistics are made up on the spot...
That's not true. If you google /statistics are made up on the spot/, you will get authoritative research on the subject that shows that the number can range from 42.6% to 98%. depending on the methodology. And, of course, depending on the result the researcher wanted to come up with to support his position.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:07 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,759,048 times
I look at stats as a simple indicator as what the situation MAY be. If I want to get a better idea I then compare different stats on the same issue and try to find some type of common denominator.

After that I then look around at the situation as closely as I can to see how much the situation may match the stats.

The next step is simply going with what you got and make a decision or conclusion as best as you can.

It is very true that there are people that all they do is show stats for everything they say.
To me they are like the example a long time ago a co-worker told me. I was a young teenager and he told me to not just go with what stats and books tell me. He said to look at life also to see the reality. As he was saying this he put his two hands in front of his face as if he had a book in front of him. He started to walk around the room and stumbling around and telling me that you will stumble in life just like that if all you do is what a book or stats tell you.

Stats are something like theory I guess. You have to try to prove if the theory is wright or wrong.

Last Saturday I was browings through the bookstore and I came across this saying by Pehyi Hsieh:
Action will remove the doubt that theory cannot solve.

I think that in the end whatever stats tell you is irrelevant unless you go out there and try it or see it for yourself.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or