U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 PM
 
341 posts, read 344,482 times
Reputation: 113

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
You are judging - and would kill the children referenced in the following article that states reasearch now shows that crack addicted children show NO MORE DAMAGE THAN THOSE BORN TO PARENTS OF SMOKERS. Lets kill all babies of smokers then, by your argument.

Have you ever seen a "crack" baby? I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 65,416,766 times
Reputation: 22274
Call me stupid . . . but I don't understand why abortion is such a big issue in this country.


If a person is against abortion, then she should not have an abortion.

Why is it that personal religious beliefs have spilled over into a national political discussion in this country?

If your religious belief is that you don't work on Sunday, then you get a job where you don't work on Sunday. But my religious belief allows me to work on Sunday, so please don't legislate that no business can be open on Sunday.

If your religious belief is that you can't have a blood transfusion, then don't have one. But my religious belief has no such dictate, so please do not enact a law that prohibits everyone from receiving a blood transfusion.

If your religious belief is that you can't eat pork, then don't eat it. But please don't prohibit hog farms and distribution of bacon to grocery stores.

If you believe that God is going to send you to hell if you have an abortion, then don't have one. But for those among us who don't believe this, why would you feel you need to interfere in my decision to abort? My understanding of the scripture is that God forgives. But so what? There are many amongst us who are not even religious. It is between a woman and God as to whether or not having an abortion is a sin.

So I don't get it.

I personally feel the whole universe weeps when a soul is lost - whether in war, through a miscarriage, through an abortion, through an accident - whatever! But not everyone thinks like me! What in our Constitution says that those who have religious beliefs have the right to enact legislation in order to subject everyone to adherence of their religious beliefs?

What has happened to "personal responsibility" in this land? Whatever you consider to be the moral dictates that govern your life - then you follow them! But please do not expect everyone else on the planet to follow them.

The minute we cross over into imposing a belief system thru/ legislation, we are leaving ourselves open for those mores to change. And then, if the majority (or a convincing leader) decides that this country is over-populated, his/her beliefs can lead to required abortion after two children. How would you all like that? If you think it can't happen . . . take a look at China.

Morality cannot be legislated. Civil order can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Oviedo, Fl formerly from the Philly Burbs!
1,012 posts, read 2,361,029 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Have you ever seen a "crack" baby? I have.
So by your logic, any mother over 40 should have an abortion because their baby 'has a higher risk" of down's syndrome (yes I know there are tests for it...they have a high false positive rate)

Or, if I have a few glasses of wine during pregnacy, or I smoke, then also should have an abortion?

Have you seen ALL babies born to crack addicted mothers? Have you seen them later in life? Many, all, some or a few?

According to your logic, any child that runs the 'risk' of defect should be aborted. I disagree. You would abort so many normal healthy children that way.

I have seen families who have adopted children of drug addicts and they make beautiful families...have you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Oviedo, Fl formerly from the Philly Burbs!
1,012 posts, read 2,361,029 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Call me stupid . . . but I don't understand why abortion is such a big issue in this country.


If a person is against abortion, then she should not have an abortion.

Why is it that personal religious beliefs have spilled over into a national political discussion in this country?

If your religious belief is that you don't work on Sunday, then you get a job where you don't work on Sunday. But my religious belief allows me to work on Sunday, so please don't legislate that no business can be open on Sunday.

If your religious belief is that you can't have a blood transfusion, then don't have one. But my religious belief has no such dictate, so please do not enact a law that prohibits everyone from receiving a blood transfusion.

If your religious belief is that you can't eat pork, then don't eat it. But please don't prohibit hog farms and distribution of bacon to grocery stores.

If you believe that God is going to send you to hell if you have an abortion, then don't have one. But for those among us who don't believe this, why would you feel you need to interfere in my decision to abort? My understanding of the scripture is that God forgives. But so what? There are many amongst us who are not even religious. It is between a woman and God as to whether or not having an abortion is a sin.

So I don't get it.

I personally feel the whole universe weeps when a soul is lost - whether in war, through a miscarriage, through an abortion, through an accident - whatever! But not everyone thinks like me! What in our Constitution says that those who have religious beliefs have the right to enact legislation in order to subject everyone to adherence of their religious beliefs?

What has happened to "personal responsibility" in this land? Whatever you consider to be the moral dictates that govern your life - then you follow them! But please do not expect everyone else on the planet to follow them.

The minute we cross over into imposing a belief system thru/ legislation, we are leaving ourselves open for those mores to change. And then, if the majority (or a convincing leader) decides that this country is over-populated, his/her beliefs can lead to required abortion after two children. How would you all like that? If you think it can't happen . . . take a look at China.

Morality cannot be legislated. Civil order can be.

Folks are going to laugh at my answer here....because I don't think the government should legislate abortion. Surprises y'all didn't I. The original question was not whether or not abortion should be legal , but what was the preferred option in the said scenario....I stated my opinion regarding that.

My personal preference is not to have one. That being said, I believe the government cannot dictate morality, nor should it. I also don't believe it should be licensing marriage...get rid of the whole gay marriage issue...there are lots of things I think the gov't should keep it's nose out of!

So, I agree with you on this one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,610,800 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
Sounds like a very "Christian" attitude to me...oh wait, Christians are supposed to care for the sick and the needy.

There is no reason this child should be born because that child will be guaranteed to cause harm to everyone else in society either because they are destined to a life of crime (based on that upbringing) or because they will be sick and on welfare. I believe abortion is a bad thing, but nobody has an abortion just for the heck of it...they do it for a reason and that reason is always good. The reason may be financial, because the child will have health problems, it is a threat to the health of the mother or because the child is the result of unwanted intercourse, or because the birth control fails.

No matter what, we don't need more people on this Earth, there's already way too many. Ever try to drive in LA? Tell me the city wouldn't be better off had 500,000 of those people been aborted before they were born...
So maybe your parents should have set an example by aborting you then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
 
1,704 posts, read 2,957,994 times
Reputation: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Call me stupid . . . but I don't understand why abortion is such a big issue in this country.


If a person is against abortion, then she should not have an abortion.

Why is it that personal religious beliefs have spilled over into a national political discussion in this country?

If your religious belief is that you don't work on Sunday, then you get a job where you don't work on Sunday. But my religious belief allows me to work on Sunday, so please don't legislate that no business can be open on Sunday.

If your religious belief is that you can't have a blood transfusion, then don't have one. But my religious belief has no such dictate, so please do not enact a law that prohibits everyone from receiving a blood transfusion.

If your religious belief is that you can't eat pork, then don't eat it. But please don't prohibit hog farms and distribution of bacon to grocery stores.

If you believe that God is going to send you to hell if you have an abortion, then don't have one. But for those among us who don't believe this, why would you feel you need to interfere in my decision to abort? My understanding of the scripture is that God forgives. But so what? There are many amongst us who are not even religious. It is between a woman and God as to whether or not having an abortion is a sin.

So I don't get it.

I personally feel the whole universe weeps when a soul is lost - whether in war, through a miscarriage, through an abortion, through an accident - whatever! But not everyone thinks like me! What in our Constitution says that those who have religious beliefs have the right to enact legislation in order to subject everyone to adherence of their religious beliefs?

What has happened to "personal responsibility" in this land? Whatever you consider to be the moral dictates that govern your life - then you follow them! But please do not expect everyone else on the planet to follow them.

The minute we cross over into imposing a belief system thru/ legislation, we are leaving ourselves open for those mores to change. And then, if the majority (or a convincing leader) decides that this country is over-populated, his/her beliefs can lead to required abortion after two children. How would you all like that? If you think it can't happen . . . take a look at China.

Morality cannot be legislated. Civil order can be.
It happens exactly at the point when my hard earned dollars start paying for it. I am 100% against welfare but I pay for it. I'm against bailing out everyone who's made a bad decision but I pay for it. So I am allowed to voice my oppinion and try to change what I don't like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,610,800 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
There is no "proof". It is simply my opinion that forcing someone to bring a drug-addicted and most likely disabled or defected baby into the world to two horrid people is cruel. I don't feel the baby deserves to suffer.
I personally know a few adults that were "drug babies" and based upon the good life their adoptive parents gave them, I seriously doubt that they would have preferred to be aborted. I wasn't a drug baby but I was born with multiple birth defects that required extensive surgury but I'm glad my biological mother placed me up for adoptive versus aborting me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,610,800 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The unfortunate fact is that the personal choice of abortion has become a harsh political topic ... usually the liberal side favors the right to choose, while the staunch conservatives are often opposed to it. I fall on the conservative side on many issues, but I'm open minded enough to realize that not everything is black & white. The couple should have had enough common sense to use protection, but they are idiots who act before thinking. So now, their carelessness has resulted in a decision of whether to have the baby, or terminate the pregnancy.

Speaking of the politics of this issue, I find it rather ironic how the so called conservatives who are against abortion want the government to step in and ban or restrict it. The same "pro life" crowd will then turn around and call for less government intervention on other matters. Pretty hypocritical, isn't it? This is why I have come to the conclusion that the so called "pro lifers" are really closet bleeding heart liberals posing as conservatives in order to win over their base.
The pro-lifers are concerned for the welfare of the unborn whereas the liberals who are pro-choice are concerned only with the welfare of the mother and don't give a damn about the unborn baby. Many pro-lifers are against abortion but would be willing to support the decision to abort in the event of rape or if the mother's life is in jeopardy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
 
1,704 posts, read 2,957,994 times
Reputation: 592
We can also debate ridiculous scenarios all day but how often do these happen? And lets be real how many "rape babies" do you really think are out there. I think you can cancel those out with the ones who chronically use abortions as birth control. Yet again the rare circumstance will outweigh the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 12:14 PM
 
1,704 posts, read 2,957,994 times
Reputation: 592
[quote=Parrotrosie;9249852]No, I didn't use the application to direct quote you , I used the Cut and Paste feature of my computer to do so, they are your exact words, so semantics there.

You are judging - and would kill the children referenced in the following article that states reasearch now shows that crack addicted children show NO MORE DAMAGE THAN THOSE BORN TO PARENTS OF SMOKERS. Lets kill all babies of smokers then, by your argument.

No just kill the smokers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top