U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a neighborhood with no one else of your race/ethnic group?
Yes, the ethnic group of my neighbors is not important as long as they are good people 42 60.00%
No, I would feel uncomfortable. I would like to live in a neighborhood dominated by my ethnic group 17 24.29%
I want to live in a true United Nations type community 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:41 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
The bulk of America is still rural, .
More than half of all Americans live in one of the 40 biggest metropolitan urban areas, so the "bulk" of America is very much urban-suburban. The rest of what you say is quite true and on the mark, but it applies now to only a very tiny minority of people who have resisted the call to the bright lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM

943 posts, read 2,707,182 times
Default People who live in homogeneous neighborhoods always hide behind the schools

If the white man moved into an all black or Hispanic neighborhood how would that impact the kids experience? Do you think that they will fit in at school? Will the black and Hispanic kids discriminate against the white kids in neighborhood and school activities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I grew up in basically white majority suburban towns. And the only reason my parents chose to live there is because the public schools were considered very good. Our having a good quality of education was all that mattered to our parents. The colour of our neighbors' skin had nothing at all to do with the real estate choices that they made.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:18 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
If the white man moved into an all black or Hispanic neighborhood how would that impact the kids experience? Do you think that they will fit in at school? Will the black and Hispanic kids discriminate against the white kids in neighborhood and school activities?
I largely agree with you. I have always felt that any parent who pays attention to their kids education, can pack them off in the morning to any school, and they will come out in the end with as good an education as they are capable of achieving.

I also see the point of many parents who have countered that they have to pay a great deal more attention if their kids go to a poor school. It's harder to find out how well the kids are doing, and they cannot depend on any in-school help in problem areas.

There are also many gray-area parents unwilling to monitor their kids education, but who can afford to live in a high-rent neighborhood, and for them, they are paying out-of-pocket to have their kids baby-sat at school. It's their call.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:27 PM

727 posts, read 1,651,065 times
I would prefer a mixed neighborhood.....Asians,Latinos,Haitians etc. etc. As long as they dont care about me bbqing outside and as long as they dont mind me blasting my music inside my own house. I'd be fine.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 PM

342 posts, read 582,633 times
I never saw any of my neighbors until we had purchased and moved in. I guess now we need that to be on the realestate disclosure form. 1 black in the neighborhool, 1 asian, etc. Or I guess you could stake out the neighborhood for awhile. The yards looked nice, the homes kept up that's all I cared about. still haven't seen all my neighbors.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:21 PM

23,005 posts, read 31,965,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I live in an area of Northern VA that has almost no black people. When I do see a black person walking down the street I assume they are visitors. In our neighborhood there is one black family. I do not have any problem with them living here and they seem friendly and take good care of their home and yard.

But I wonder why they chose to live in a neighborhood where everyone else is Asian or White. I would think it would be a challenge for their kids and they would be opening themselves up for discrimination.

Regardless of your race, would you move into a nice neighborhood where everyone else was not like you ethnically? Or would you rather be in a ethnically diverse neighborhood where there were others like you? Or would you not care?
Actually i did have this experience back in Southern VA. I was the only black kid on my street in a middle-class neighborhood that was better off than most of the surrounding neighborhoods. My mother basically moved me there so i could attend better public schools. The neighbors were very accepting and i never felt that my race was an issue (my behavior was another issue.)

I live now in a diverse mixed-race neighborhood in Northern VA where i dont feel a part of the community and the people make minimal efforts to get to know or befriend me. Personally, i'll be happy to live in any great neighborhood that i feel a part of and i dont care if my neighbors are all one color or different colors.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:23 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,147,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
More than half of all Americans live in one of the 40 biggest metropolitan urban areas, so the "bulk" of America is very much urban-suburban. The rest of what you say is quite true and on the mark, but it applies now to only a very tiny minority of people who have resisted the call to the bright lights.
We rural folks have bright lights..they're called *stars*.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,569,222 times
I live in a big complex and am only one in a handful of 'white' families. The rest are all different shades, languages and backgrounds. Watching all the little kids play together while at the playground or pool.... shows how silly and judgmental we become as we grow older.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:41 PM
miu

16,469 posts, read 33,425,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I largely agree with you. I have always felt that any parent who pays attention to their kids education, can pack them off in the morning to any school, and they will come out in the end with as good an education as they are capable of achieving.

I also see the point of many parents who have countered that they have to pay a great deal more attention if their kids go to a poor school. It's harder to find out how well the kids are doing, and they cannot depend on any in-school help in problem areas.

There are also many gray-area parents unwilling to monitor their kids education, but who can afford to live in a high-rent neighborhood, and for them, they are paying out-of-pocket to have their kids baby-sat at school. It's their call.
Well in MA, most of the good public schools happen to be in the suburbs... and the towns that have the good public schools are predominately white.

From talking to other adults over the years about their childhood experiences, I consider myself to be very lucky to have grown up where I did. I never got bullied in school. Everyone was really nice to me. All my friends went on to good colleges. So there were no distractions of knowing kids who got into trouble, or got pregnant, or being fearful of others. So I could concentrate on my studies and having a great childhood. And my parents didn't have to monitor my schoolwork either, which was good since they were both workaholics.

I think that my childhood experience would have been completely different and not as happy or productive had we instead lived in the city. If I had children, they would also get a good suburban upbringing, even if it meant that they were to grow up surrounded mostly by white middle class people. I would take them into the city on weekends for cultural experiences though.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,469,773 times
Integration wins the day for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates