Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you live in a neighborhood with no one else of your race/ethnic group?
Yes, the ethnic group of my neighbors is not important as long as they are good people 42 60.00%
No, I would feel uncomfortable. I would like to live in a neighborhood dominated by my ethnic group 17 24.29%
I want to live in a true United Nations type community 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times

Advertisements

I live in an area of Northern VA that has almost no black people. When I do see a black person walking down the street I assume they are visitors. In our neighborhood there is one black family. I do not have any problem with them living here and they seem friendly and take good care of their home and yard.

But I wonder why they chose to live in a neighborhood where everyone else is Asian or White. I would think it would be a challenge for their kids and they would be opening themselves up for discrimination.

Regardless of your race, would you move into a nice neighborhood where everyone else was not like you ethnically? Or would you rather be in a ethnically diverse neighborhood where there were others like you? Or would you not care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:18 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,664,764 times
My wife & I did just that 3 years ago. We have absolutely no regrets, and couldn't be happier - both with our house and our neighbors!

As a bonus, extended family members who are paranoid of blacks don't come over to our house and bug us!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
You ask why they would move into such a neighborhood. Maybe they are color-blind, have no prejudices, and assume they are just like everyone else.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
To me it doesn't matter.
For the most part my street is white but it's a pretty diverse neighborhood.
Young, old, black, white...

As long as I don't have to worry about my neighbors stabbing me in the back when it comes to political issues, I don't care.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Since I have lived in neighborhoods where absolutely everyone was Hispanic, or everyone was Muslim, or everyone was Asian, I guess it would be OK. I also lived for two years in an apartment complex in the USA where all but two or three of the 50-or-so units were African American occupied.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:25 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Long as people let me cut my lawn & trees when I want I dont care if theyre purple with pink stripes.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:30 PM

If everyone is so open minded then why do so many people choose to live in communities and neighborhoods that are basically one race? Many people who come from a specific immigrant group will choose to live with their people, black with blacks and whites with whites. Are the people on this board really so enlightened and open? Or are they just trying to be politically correct?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,078 times
Albany Park, Chicago.
Viatmnese, Mexican, bosnian, Korena, Combodian, Ecuador, India, Arabic, Nigeria, Greek, Philipenes, Guatemala, Romania, Pakistan... Rich and poor.... Good and Bad... Americanized and not... Foods from everywhere... Young old, ugly pretty...

So glad I grew up there.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I don't see any big deal with it, I don't choose areas to do with skin color in a positive way or negative way. I won't choose a bad neighborhood because it's diverse, or overlook a nice neighborhood because it is. Nice house (and good sized yard), safe area, good schools, nice people...I'm set.

Views would be about as far as I would care, if the neighbors around the house I was looking at were extremely conservatively religious (doesn't really matter what) I would look elsewhere.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:27 PM

I am not talking about a diverse neighborhood but one where you would be the only person of a specific race or ethnic group. I used the example of the Black Man who lives a block over, and from what I can tell he and his family is the only black people who lives in our 450 home homeowners association group. If you were black would you like to live in a community or neighborhood where you were the only African American? Or if you were White would you want to live in an all Black neighborhood? (if the neighborhood still matched your economic and cultural status)

Last edited by Weekend Traveler; 05-27-2009 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates