U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM

341 posts, read 342,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think people should be able to speak whatever language they want to. BUT... if this alienates them from society as a whole in any way, it's all on them. Nobody else should have to bend over backwards to accommodate them. English is the majority language in the United States, so everyone ought to be conversant in it. Any other language you want to speak, fine. But you can't start jumping up and down, yelling "discrimination" when things don't go your way.
EXACTLY. You are 300% correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,570,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
My question is : Why do some foreigners and immigrants refuse to learn our language? Why do we need to cater? It's nice to know more than one language...but I don't feel it needs to be a requirement...at all. There needs to be some common solidarity.
Exactly. Why should WE struggle to learn another language in our homeland while strangers flood our borders refusing to assimilate by learning our language and customs?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,211,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
As an American I often ponder why we cringe at the idea of a second language, specifically Spanish. Why do we aboslutely refuse to learn a second language? Pride? Patriotism? Xenophobia? Lazy? What?

Lets take a look at Canada shall we? Canada has two official languages; English and French. I'm not 100% sure about this, but a majority of Canadians do not complain about it do they? It is only logical America should have another language and that language is the language of our neighbors, Spanish.

There are many countries that have multiple languages, official languages, and work together.

It is said it is not difficult to learn Spanish, according to the U.S.. English is said to be the most difficult.

The United States does not have an official language. Should a bill be passed claiming English and Spanish the official languages?

The benifits of Americans learning a second language are huge, not only will America catch up with the modern world but we could communicate with millions of other people (350 million).

With Spanish growing at a fast rate and Spanish already being the ?third? most spoken language in the world, it only makes sense. The amount of immigrants from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries only speeds up the Spanish speaking population in America while leaving Americans that were born here unable to speak the second most common language. Infact most Immigrants that speak Spanish also speak English.

So what do you think? Should Americans learn Spanish or be like most 3rd world countries and only speak one language?
Have you talked to many Canadians? Let me tell you, every time I go up there, somebody is complaining about all the headaches that bilingualism causes.

Sorry. But if I picked up and moved to another country, I would fully anticipate learning the language. My grandfather moved here and learned English. Why wouldn't somebody who moved here learn it too?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,953,604 times
As a formal Canuck...born and raised in Ont Canada...still have family from both sides back there.

Have not talked to them in a while but the last time they were unhappy with the French imposing their Pro France ideologys on the rest of Canada.

The dual language is not welcome by many Canadians be it English speaking or by other foreign language speaking people. In my case we were all Hungarians in my family. We all spoke English as was the only language before the dual system change.

Besides the language...many were unhappy with the forced conversion to the metric system.

The US tried to change the gas to Liters some yrs back in Calif but the people resisted.

Here in Mexico (Baja) the grocery mkts weigh meat by the Kilo (2.2 lbs = 1 Kilo). Heck...no one buys over two lbs of meat at one time. Generally in smaller amounts. Steak and pork chops are cut paper thin to make it look like your getting a large piece of meat. This is why I refuse to buy any here but will purchase a nice cut state side.

Why price everything at the kilo price when everyone buys a smaller portion...1/2 kilo more or less similiar to our l lb in the states.

Off the subject a little...just a comparison to the ridicules change to Dual English/French and the headaches it brings. Imagine what Americans would do if the country was forced to be Dual English/Spanish because of all the ILLEGALS in the states.

With the vast immigration of the early 20th century into Canada and the US...they brought their heritage language with them but learned ENGLISH because that was what the language of the new country was. They did not demand Canada or the US to learn other languages in order to accomodate them.

Gosh...ranting a little steam makes me feel better.

Steve

Old 06-03-2009, 10:43 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
america was founded and born bek of good 2nd language skills, (french).
last 40 years of good life have made us very lazy and caused memory loss of who got us here.
actually last 20 years of good life we can thank cheap mexican labor. pity it all had to end.
now we are guna have to hustle.
yep learn spanish asap and stay out of debt the new cruel slave master.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:12 PM

341 posts, read 342,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Exactly. Why should WE struggle to learn another language in our homeland while strangers flood our borders refusing to assimilate by learning our language and customs?

Seriously. I think it should be a law. If you want to be a USA citizen..you must pass a test in ENGLISH. If you can't...then you don't get your chance at citizenship.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM

898 posts, read 1,194,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
As an American I often ponder why we cringe at the idea of a second language, specifically Spanish. Why do we aboslutely refuse to learn a second language? Pride? Patriotism? Xenophobia? Lazy? What?

Lets take a look at Canada shall we? Canada has two official languages; English and French. I'm not 100% sure about this, but a majority of Canadians do not complain about it do they? It is only logical America should have another language and that language is the language of our neighbors, Spanish.

There are many countries that have multiple languages, official languages, and work together.

It is said it is not difficult to learn Spanish, according to the U.S.. English is said to be the most difficult.

The United States does not have an official language. Should a bill be passed claiming English and Spanish the official languages?

The benifits of Americans learning a second language are huge, not only will America catch up with the modern world but we could communicate with millions of other people (350 million).

With Spanish growing at a fast rate and Spanish already being the ?third? most spoken language in the world, it only makes sense. The amount of immigrants from Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries only speeds up the Spanish speaking population in America while leaving Americans that were born here unable to speak the second most common language. Infact most Immigrants that speak Spanish also speak English.

So what do you think? Should Americans learn Spanish or be like most 3rd world countries and only speak one language?
Chan eil aon rud ceārr air ionnsachadh cānain eile, ach is ann leam-sa a tha taghadh a' chānain. Carson a dh'ionnsaichinn Spāinntis. The iad-san a' tighinn an-seo, dha na Stāitean Aonaichte. An-seo, tha Beurla againn. Bu chōir dhaibh-se a dh'ionnsachadh a' chānain againn-se, oir tha iad a' tighinn an-seo. Ma rachas mi gu Mexico, bu chōir dhomh a dh'ionnsachadh Spāinntis, oir tha Spāinntis aca an-sin. Ionnsaichidh mi na cānain anns a bheil m'ųidh, agus chan eil ųidh sam bith agam air Spāinntis.

There is not one thing wrong with learning another language, but it is up to me to choose the language. Why should I learn Spanish? They are coming here, to the United States. Here, we speak English. They should learn our language, because they are coming here. If I went to Mexico, I would have to learn Spanish, because they speak Spanish there. I will learn the languages I'm interested in, and Spanish isn't one of them.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:26 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,556,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Seriously. I think it should be a law. If you want to be a USA citizen..you must pass a test in ENGLISH. If you can't...then you don't get your chance at citizenship.
That's already the law.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 PM

10,341 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Chan eil aon rud ceārr air ionnsachadh cānain eile, ach is ann leam-sa a tha taghadh a' chānain. Carson a dh'ionnsaichinn Spāinntis. The iad-san a' tighinn an-seo, dha na Stāitean Aonaichte. An-seo, tha Beurla againn. Bu chōir dhaibh-se a dh'ionnsachadh a' chānain againn-se, oir tha iad a' tighinn an-seo. Ma rachas mi gu Mexico, bu chōir dhomh a dh'ionnsachadh Spāinntis, oir tha Spāinntis aca an-sin. Ionnsaichidh mi na cānain anns a bheil m'ųidh, agus chan eil ųidh sam bith agam air Spāinntis.
Ahh, Gāidhlig--Scottish Gaelic. Cool. Math fhčin! You are a rarity.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 PM

10,341 posts, read 9,982,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That's already the law.
Yes it is. And to know basic US history. I helped my ex-wife go through the citizenship process (before we were married). Today, she knows English just fine, but spends most of her time speaking her native Spanish. She lives in a free country and is free to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates