U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,021 posts, read 20,523,664 times
Reputation: 20381

Advertisements

They are not going to come out and tell you that you will not be hired if you dont speak spanish unless the job specifically requires it, but dont think it is merely a plus. The employer will hire a spanish speaker over a non spanish speaker. My empolyer will not hire anyone that smokes, but my employer certainly will not tell you that although you might be told non smoking is a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM
 
341 posts, read 343,079 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do you actually believe they are going to say straight out that you must speak spanish to be considered? Can you say lawsuit?

LOL. Seriously. It's a nice way of saying : We are going to chose bilingual speakers over you. Sucks that ya don't speak spanish pal.


Every place I know does this. Just not blatantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,356 posts, read 9,992,499 times
Reputation: 9107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
LOL. Seriously. It's a nice way of saying : We are going to chose bilingual speakers over you. Sucks that ya don't speak spanish pal.


Every place I know does this. Just not blatantly.
Note: Post not directed to anyone in particular.

Well, if that's REALLY the way it is (I don't agree, but let's assume), then whining about it isn't going to change it. Learn Spanish. If somebody told you needed to learn calculus or microbiology for another 20 grand a year (think of the Ford F-980 Locomotive-Diesel Super-Dooper Cab you could buy with that!), you'd do it, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Reputation: 35874
I don't get it. I live here, I talk to my neighbors, I shop every day and talk to store employees. I phoned two professionals in job placement. I read the classified in my own paper. And I still have to be told what is going on in my own town and my own neighborhood by people who live several states away, who are mainly informed by shrill hate-filled blogs about how my neighbors have destroyed America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 12:47 PM
 
341 posts, read 343,079 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Note: Post not directed to anyone in particular.

Well, if that's REALLY the way it is (I don't agree, but let's assume), then whining about it isn't going to change it. Learn Spanish. If somebody told you needed to learn calculus or microbiology for another 20 grand a year (think of the Ford F-980 Locomotive-Diesel Super-Dooper Cab you could buy with that!), you'd do it, right?

Hey, I'm not saying I am unwilling to learn Spanish. I just would like to know that I am learning it to fulfill myself..not to cater to all of these ignorant people who live here and are SO unwilling to learn English.

I know that it's not easy to learn a new language...but some of them don't even try.

And yes...if I could earn another 20 grand a year I would take calculus and microbiology...actually, I am LOL...and I will be earning much more than 20k extra a year once I am finished with this degree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,727,451 times
Reputation: 10450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
I know that it's not easy to learn a new language...but some of them don't even try.
I hear that. There's certainly been a change in attitude over the last 80 or 90 years. My grandparents came to this country from eastern Europe. The first thing they did when they got here was sign up for English classes. They had the notion that if you wanted to fit in with the society in this country, you should be able to speak the language.

That isn't the prevailing belief any more--if I may commit a little understatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,021 posts, read 20,523,664 times
Reputation: 20381
Quote:
Well, if that's REALLY the way it is (I don't agree, but let's assume), then whining about it isn't going to change it. Learn Spanish. If somebody told you needed to learn calculus or microbiology for another 20 grand a year (think of the Ford F-980 Locomotive-Diesel Super-Dooper Cab you could buy with that!), you'd do it, right?
I keep hearing how it is so hard for new immigrants to lean english taking up to 7 yrs. and that is why they continue to speak spanish so we should accommodate them, yet you believe I should learn spanish (by the way I see many free esl classes, but Ive not seen one free ssl class) to be considered for a minimum wage job again because immigrants (legal or illegal) dont want to bother to learn english.

We arent talking about extra effort to get a job promotion or a job that would actually otherwise require a new language or calculus. Example, two math teachers apply for a job and the one that dosent speak spanish isnt even considered because 2% of the schools population are newley arrived from over the boarder and havent mastered the english language. Why should that person have to go back and take 7 years to learn spanish. It seem logical that it should be up to the newly arrived to take the initive to learn english even before entering the country.

Im not against the US being a bilingual country, but it does need to be a very gradual change. Starting with mandatory second language in kindergarden so that the next gernerations grow up speaking 2 languages. I dont believe spanish should be forced down our throats because 20 million illegals dont want to learn english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 AM
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
10,356 posts, read 9,992,499 times
Reputation: 9107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]yet you believe I should learn spanish
I don't. If you read my previous posts, you'll see where I'm coming from. It's just that everyone keeps caterwauling that you have to learn Spanish to even get a job. That's simply not true. I just said 'learn Spanish' in my last post because if someone really feels they can't get a job unless they learn Spanish (again, BS), then they should probably go ahead and learn it before they have some sort of aneurism or a nervous breakdown. They've become obsessed with it... so... just go with it. Learn it and get it over with.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
two math teachers apply for a job and the one that dosent speak spanish isnt even considered
Well, I've been teaching math for 15 years and I haven't used Spanish once as related to my teaching. I really think people over-blow this Spanish thing. I speak Spanish. I live in an area that is roughly 10 - 15% Hispanic. That being the case, I hardly speak Spanish enough to maintain fluency. I've gotten rusty. The Hispanics around here see a white person and they speak English; they don't WANT to speak Spanish with whites. I have to 'force' them to... and I can speak with a near native Spanish accent! If your Spanish is too 'gringo,' they refuse to speak Spanish at all. They just continue in English. Tell me they are trying to force us to speak Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Cumberland Co., TN
20,021 posts, read 20,523,664 times
Reputation: 20381
Quote:
That's simply not true. I just said 'learn Spanish' in my last post because if someone really feels they can't get a job unless they learn Spanish (again, BS), then they should probably go ahead and learn it before they have some sort of aneurism or a nervous breakdown.
Americans used to have this thing about standing up and fighting for what they believe in instead of laying down and being run over such as not having to change and make these kind of accomadations for people that most likely are here illegally. Why should we not be the ones making demands.
Quote:

The Hispanics around here see a white person and they speak English; they don't WANT to speak Spanish with whites. I have to 'force' them to
Not the case where I live. Even hispanics (of course not all) that do speak english will pretend they dont. When Ive had the occasion to go to the elementary school or head start most of the hispanic kids dont speak english and the teachers have been forced to take classes to learn spanish. Our town had to hire a hispanic policeman to deal with the number of non english speaking hispanics. Our court has set up a free drivers ed for hispanics (spanish) only because of the large number of dui and other traffic violations. Our health departement opened an additional office for hispanic clients due to the number of non english speaking people. This is all tax $ funded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2009, 04:25 PM
 
709 posts, read 1,542,220 times
Reputation: 351
Quote:
As an American I often ponder why we cringe at the idea of a second language, specifically Spanish. Why do we aboslutely refuse to learn a second language? Pride? Patriotism? Xenophobia? Lazy? What?
Why does the population of Mexico cringe at the idea of a second language, specifically English. Why do Mexicans refuse to learn a second language ? Pride ? Patriotism ? Xenophobia ? Lazy ? What ? Why is it that the majority of the population in Mexico is not bilingual ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top