Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I don't see why I would need to learn spanish. I've never come across a situation where it would have proved useful. Everyone I have routine contact with speaks fluent English - that's the way I like it.

That being said, I don't see why we need to cater to anyone that doesn't speak English. My grandparents came from Europe nearly 100 years ago and didn't know a word of English. They learned English and assimilated properly. The same requirements should go for everyone else coming to the US. English is the language of business in this country, like it or not. Besides, if I had any desire to learn a second language, it wouldn't be spanish anyway.
Good post!
On a daily basis how many people does one encounter in the US where it would benefit themselves to communicate with a Spanish speaking person. For me, in the Boston area, the answer is zero.
If I were to move to another country that spoke a different language, job number 1 for me would be to learn the language.
We are not doing Spanish speaking immigrants any favors whatsoever by speaking Spanish.
If they want to jump into the water then they need to learn to swim!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Thing is we arent Turkey & nobody is suggesting to irradicate any other culture or lock anyone up. People will always be able to speak, write & communicate in any language they choose. But they will need to know & understand English in order to deal with legal things, or hire an interpretor.

Theres no reason for A spanish drivers test or Spanish school notices, Spanish instruction on Gov't websites & bulliten boards. As I said earlier its quite the slap in the face for other immigrants that arent lucky enough to be Spanish speaking. Its unfair & unjust & should be fixed up.

Here is a website that has some information in other languages.
Multilanguage Gateway - General Information in Other Languages - FCIC

Needing to know English and making it the Official language are two very different things.

I find your argument ludicrous. Yes, there is a reason for a Spanish drivers test. You either want people to learn the language or the laws. As I said before, and I have also stated elsewhere, it takes 7 years to fully comprehend the English language. That is if you are taking classes and have the opportunity to speak it. You don't want to fight both at the same time.

Now, I speak to a lot of English speaking born in the US who couldn't grasp the law if you beat it over their head. And do you know why? Because the majority of well educated Americans can't read above the 10th grade level. That's right, can't handle a court document. They actually had to dumb down instructions from the Doctors office.

Yes, there is a reason to send home school notices in Spanish. If mom or dad doesn't speak English but is literate in Spanish then they can be aware of what their child is up to and be aware of the changes in the facility.

The only person who is slapped in the face is you. Because your argument that if no one else can have it then no one should have it is crap. That is a very lame attempt to sound as if your standing up for the rest of the others when, frankly, you would be just pleased as punch if you could eradicate those cultures too.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
[quote=jtur88;9037196]

Quote:
If English were declared the official language of the USA, what do you want? Do you want it to be against the law for two people in a public place to be overheard speaking any other language to each other, or what?
No one said that speaking another language would be outlawed.

29 states currently have written into their constitutions laws declaring English as the official language. Even Massachusetts!

[CENTER]Official Language Law of Massachusetts (1975)[/CENTER]
Constitution of the Commonwealth of MASSACHUSETTS
Article XX.
No person shall [have the right to vote, or] be eligible to office under the constitution of this commonwealth, who shall not be able to read the constitution in the English language, and write his name: -- provided, however, that the provisions of this amendment shall not apply to any person prevented by a physical disability from complying with its requisitions, nor to any person who now has the right to vote, nor to any persons who shall be sixty years of age or upwards at the time this amendment shall take effect.

The really stupid thing about this state is that, despite this law, ballots are still written in several other languages.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:37 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
You took it in a literal sense. I was being dramatic to get my point across. No language is better than another. However, in the USA, English IS. WHY? Because you need to know it here in order to advance in our society.
I would assume that many of these people aren't interested in advancing or paying their way through life here. Living off the productive members of society is the name of the game. We make it so easy for these people not to assimilate - so why should they.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
[who shall not be able to read the constitution in the English language, ]
The funny part about this is, every time the US or the Massachusetts Supreme Court hands down a ruling, it turns out that several of the SC Justices cannot read the constitution in English, and write dissenting opinions about what they thought it said..

Quote:
No one said that speaking another language would be outlawed.
]
Several people, including weedsnake (whom I addressed) stated particular concern about people rudely and inconsiderately speaking a foreign language within earshot of them, so I assumed that if there were to be an officiall language with any legal teeth, this is one of the things they would want repaired.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-29-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:46 AM

472 posts, read 740,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Several people, including weedsnake (whom I addressed) stated particular concern about people rudely and inconsiderately speaking a foreign language within earshot of them, so I assumed that if there were to be an officiall language with any legal teeth, this is one of the things they would want repaired.
"I don't live in NY, but I think it is unacceptable, rude, and disrespectful of people to live in this country for 10 years and not make any effort to learn the English language. "

You assume too much. I said nothing about speaking a foreign language within earshot. I don't care at all what language people use in private conversations and do not expect tourists to know English. I do, however, object to people who have been in this country any length of time demanding that the government provide interpreters and/or documents in their native language.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 AM

25,723 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
29 states currently have written into their constitutions laws declaring English as the official language. Even Massachusetts!

The really stupid thing about this state is that, despite this law, ballots are still written in several other languages.
Exactly my point. You've declared hot dogs the official ball game food; so what? Didn't do a thing. People are still going to eat whatever they want at the game. All you've done is waste time and money passing a white elephant law.

If you are so worried about a flyer being printed in Spanish, you don't need an official language law to stop it. Call your congressman. But you know, the money spent on that flyer is a grain of sand on the sea of federal spending. If you are worried about wasted tax money, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Start with something that is actually worthwhile.

And if the real problem is really that you don't like to hear Spanish in the grocery store... well, tough. As long as you live in a free country, it's none of your concern. Freedom of speech: doesn't matter whether it's Spanish, English, Swahili, Malay, French... or babbling like an ape. Each has his/her own choice.

If one lives in the US, one should be able to communicate in English. Beyond that, it's nobody's business.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
I do, however, object to people who have been in this country any length of time demanding that the government provide interpreters and/or documents in their native language.
I speak Spanish well enough that I doubt if anybody in Mexico thinks of me as being rude or inconsiderate. But if I needed to concern myself with any official matters while in the country, I would certainly want to see an English version of it before I act upon it. I doubt if any Mexican would feel put upon if I made such a request. Nor would they characterize it as a "demand".

I've lived in places where the everyday business language in the street was French, Spanish, Arabic, Romanian, Indonesian, and Guarani. Never did anyone seem so bent out of shape when I needed to have something explained to me in English, and roll their eyes as if I had no right to such a consideration.

What you fail to take into account, is that it actually cheaper for the government to produce documents in several languages, than to have clients spending inordinate amounts of time with government field workers trying to have an English-only document expained to them in English, and then having to file the document over and over again until they get it right.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:59 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
I speak 2-1/2 languages...wish I understood half a dozen. No major reason just a personal preference in knowledge thats all. Never know when you might hear someone speaking in a tongue not realizing that others might understand what is being said (be it good or bad).

Being a gringo amongst many Mexicans who are Legal or Illegal in the US I am privy to what is being said in the public mkt place while shopping. Most of what I hear is mediocre at best. Nothing wrtong with that.

Related a story many times of what happened to me as a teen when a women and her daughter were talking about my appearance while on public transportation ride home from school.

They were critical of my appearance as I said and when my stop came up I leaned forward to press the buzzer and said in their language (Hungarian) "excuse me please". Both their mouths dropped open on realizing that I had understood every word they had said.

Change that to any other language you choose...the results are the same.

Speak any language you choose in private...while in public English should be the norm.

Steve

Old 05-29-2009, 12:25 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,467,062 times
I'm trilingual and I know a lil Sanskrit and Spanish as well. The whole Spanish as a second national language thing is laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates