U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 AM

71 posts, read 146,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Huh? Most churches I know are out there looking for sinners, to invite them in to save them.
I did not say they all or even that most of them did I said they could.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,279,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No it's not. Discrimination is never okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
It is not "OK" to discriminate against anyone.
You guys don't think before you post, do you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
How does an interviewer KNOW that a person is gay?
You're obviously not from San Francisco.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom99 View Post
Part of what I am asking is if you think homosexuals should really be included as a protected minority group.
No, I don't think so.

Couldn't you just say that homosexuals are choosing to be gay and therefore they deserve the treatment they get?
I don't believe I said any such thing, did I?

At any moment they could just choose to be heterosexuals right?
Again, I don't believe I said any such thing, did I?
Are you angry, or am I reading this wrong?

Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 AM

22,151 posts, read 26,616,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
"Why can't we all just get along"

Rodney King.
Yeah, Rodney King, the career criminal!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,915,161 times
Default entreat me not to leave thee...

Quote:
Who says that by discriminating against someone you aren't treating them kindly? You can feel that you've treated a gay person with dignity and respect although you treated them very differently than you treated a heterosexual person. According to dictionary.com, discrimination is the, "Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit."
i, for the sake of argument, accept your advance; however, i used the word
"discrimination" in a purely colq. sense. i believe most would assign a negative and unflattering meaning to the word, as i used it. what is the disparity of treatment between a and b. these parameters must be known to answer your entreaty.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 AM

5,230 posts, read 7,321,196 times
Quote:
So, do you think it is okay for an employer to refuse to hire someone because they are gay?

I think its ok for a private sector business owner to hire or fire anyone they choose for any reason they want.
Gov't or municiplal employers are a different matter & hireing or fireing should be based solely on the applicants ability.

Quote:
Also, do you think that someone who kills someone because they are gay should be guilty of a hate crime?
They are guilty of murder, I think murder should be a capital offense & dont think it matters if the victim was gay or not.
Do you think a gay person has a greater right to life than normal people?
If a gay person kills a straight person is that a hate crime?

Quote:
If you believe its wrong to discriminate against gays and also oppose gay marriage could you explain why this makes sense to you.
Because one has nothing to do with another. I think its wrong to discriminate against anyone based on race, gender or sexual prefference.

That said I think its rediculous to consider same sex couples as married. We are what we are & if a persons gay so be it. But thats what they are & while they may love & cherish one another it simply is not the same as a hetero couple. Its no less, only different. Just as I have no right to expect people to consider me Black, Asian or Latino when I am white.

Quote:
The way I understand it is if sexual orientation is only a choice made by an individual then how can homosexuals be discriminated against since they could just choose to be heterosexuals if they wanted to be treated like everyone else? For example if an employer refused to hire people who came to an interview wearing their jackets inside out, they would not be guilty of discrimination. Those people made a choice to come to the interview that way and know that their behavior is socially unacceptable and could cost them a job. The same logic can easily be applied to gays if homosexuality is only a choice.
Huh? A gay person has a right to keep his private life private. I he chooses to wear homosexuality like a badge knowing it makes some people, uncomfortable its pretty silly not to expect repurcussions.

Quote:
However, the medical community has generally accepted that sexual orientation is not a choice.
Medical or scientific? I dont think the medical communiny is all that interested in it. After all its not a cureable thing. Science says different things at different times. It was considered a sexual disorder for a long time & I'v seen nothing that would change that, other than the need to not offend. Its actually pretty sad & disturbing that science be influenced by human emotion. But I digress.

Quote:
If people see homosexuals as a group that can be discriminated against then it makes no sense to ban same sex marriage. By wanting to ban same sex marriage you are saying that marriage is a right that can only be enjoyed by heterosexual people. If homosexuals want to marry then they must become heterosexuals. This makes sense if homosexuality is only a choice.
You talk in circles. Homosexuals are not being discriminated against if homosexual marriage is banned. They can marry just like anyone else.
Whats discriminatory is saying its ok for homosexuals to marry just to get marriage benefits but exclude other same sex pairs who arent gay but share a household. If gay people can marry it turns marriage into a simple contract between individuals. So if a person lives with their brother, friend, cousin, father, etc they should be able to get equal consideration.

Quote:
However, many states have laws against discrimination based on sexual orientation, although I don't know if their are any federal discrimination laws based on sexual orientation. Homosexuals can only be discriminated against if they are understood as that can't change their sexual orientation to match what is scene as 'culturally acceptable'. The fact that there are laws against discrimination based on sexual orientation and that many people who oppose gay marriage claim they have nothing against gays suggests homosexuals are viewed as a distinct group and discriminating against them is becoming less socially acceptable.
The fact is that in most instances gay people are not discriminated against & when they are its usually because they are looking for something to complain about. What is socially accepted & whats right are not one & the same.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:20 AM

13,117 posts, read 9,205,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
It is not "OK" to discriminate against anyone.
That's an unreasonable sweeping generalization.
It's one thing for a government to forbid discrimination in the exercise of political liberty. It's a whole 'nuther thing for private people to be denied their right to CHOOSE.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,981,619 times
Who cares if being gay is a choice? I don't see why that matters regarding whether it's OK to fire someone for being gay. It's also a choice to be a particular religion, to be married, to be pregnant and, to some extent, to be a military veteran. Those are protected classes. Is it OK to be passed over for a promotion because your boss doesn't like Catholics? If you don't like it, shouldn't you just choose a different religion?

I understand the stickiness when the freedom to do business with limited government interference clashes with minorities desiring to have equal rights and opportunities. I just disagree that the argument about whether homosexuality is a choice matters one bit in the discussion.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:23 AM

8,649 posts, read 14,872,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
How does an interviewer KNOW that a person is gay?
I had a guy apply in high heels once.

Last edited by Houston3; 06-01-2009 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: reworded

Old 06-01-2009, 09:14 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I had a guy apply in high heels once.
I can only hope it wasn't for a construction job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or