U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
 
2,023 posts, read 3,478,310 times
Reputation: 1547
I'm a bit confused here.

What would be the rationale to forbid the National Anthem from being sung? I'm trying to imagine a recent immigrant to the US going into court to argue this. Assuming that this person had standing to bring this to court, what would be the argument?

Now, if it were a case of a facility or sports team voluntarily deciding not to play the National Anthem, that would certainly be their prerogative, and I would assume that they would have to deal with a *bit* of backlash. I would like to say that I couldn't imagine people being this silly, but, unfortunately, the fear of offending others oftentimes does lead to irrational actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2009, 11:21 AM
 
9,655 posts, read 6,759,163 times
Reputation: 5902
the question sounds a bit a a reach to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 AM
Status: "Question everything..." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: 125 Years Too Late...
6,674 posts, read 5,397,258 times
Reputation: 6293
Quote:
Originally Posted by aktanner View Post
At public special events, especially sporting events, it is common for people in the stands to rise while someone sings the national anthem and the U.S. flag flies. With our American ways of life starting to be compromised in order to make immigrants happy, do you feel that one day there will be a point that public events will no longer have the national anthem for fear of offending foreginers? To me, it seems the singing of the national anthem is one of the last remaning staples of American life.
Careful, your agenda is hanging out to where everyone can see it.

So, yeah, why don't you go ahead and tell us about the evil Mexican immigrant and his/her desire to force you into a life of 'Spanishdom'? ¡Hablemos español para siempre!

And what exactly is the ‘American way of life’? I look around and I don’t really see anything worth bothering with except FREEDOM. Oh sure, there is the money-worship and the polarization and the stubborn shunning of efficiency (is my agenda showing too? That’s okay, I didn’t start the thread). But the rest is rather pedestrian. And I don’t believe the typical immigrant is out to take any of that away from you. Fear not.

To answer the ‘question’: no, I don’t see a time when Britney Spears will no longer have the opportunity to slaughter the national anthem at the ball game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,369,670 times
Reputation: 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

Now, if it were a case of a facility or sports team voluntarily deciding not to play the National Anthem, that would certainly be their prerogative,.
Nope. Major League Baseball forced Montreal and Toronto to play "God Bless America" in the seventh inning of every game after 9/11, and I think they still do on Sunday games (and of course, the Expos now play in Washington DC, just to make sure it gets played.) To their credit, the Canadians just shrugged and stood up politely when it was played, as did the players on the field, who were mostly from the Dominican Republic.


Imagine spectators at games in America being forced to endure a maudlin patriotic song (not even the national anthem) gushing over some other country in our ballparks.

It brings to mind the classic Canada song on MST3K

youtube.com/watch?v=4RHVoFpncgA (Copy/paste, so as not to clutter the board with an annoying full-screen still))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:35 PM
 
2,023 posts, read 3,478,310 times
Reputation: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nope. Major League Baseball forced Montreal and Toronto to play "God Bless America" in the seventh inning of every game after 9/11, and I think they still do on Sunday games (and of course, the Expos now play in Washington DC, just to make sure it gets played.) To their credit, the Canadians just shrugged and stood up politely when it was played, as did the players on the field, who were mostly from the Dominican Republic.
Oh, THAT'S why the Expos moved?

Seriously though, I think you mis-interpreted my post. What I was saying was that if an arena or league (for whatever sport) in the US decided not to play the US national anthem, that would be their prerogative.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Imagine spectators at games in America being forced to endure a maudlin patriotic song (not even the national anthem) of another country in our ballparks.
It already happens in hockey arenas. If a US team is hosting a Canadian team, "Oh Canada" is played.

Again, though, this isn't really what I was getting at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:44 PM
 
Location: southern california
49,384 posts, read 45,951,277 times
Reputation: 40474
maybe, it could happen. current god of the nation is individuality. the mind set is "unity is weakness the individual conquers all". the anthem is all about unity.
the average individual here is pathetic and weak
on 911 - four united men poorly armed, overpowered 250 rugged individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,369,670 times
Reputation: 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post




It already happens in hockey arenas. If a US team is hosting a Canadian team, "Oh Canada" is played.
.
It is a traditional courtesy to play the national anthem of the teams participating in the game. It is quite another thing to require that another country's patriotic songs be played in addition to the traditional national anthem opening, without mandating the playing of any of their own patriotic songs.

Major League Basebell, an American corporate entity headquartered in the USA, made it contractually obligatory that its non-American affiliates play an American patriotic non-anthem during their games, implying a captive participation of non-American spectators. That is hard to defend in principle..

There are, by the way, many countries in which the national anthem is played in movie theaters before the main feature. Canada used to be one of them, but I haven t seen a movie there in a long time. In Newfoundland, Oh Canada is played at the beginning of a movie, and "Ode to Newfoundland" (a much more beautiful song) is played over the closing credits.

In African countries, a portrait of the dictator in full regalia is shown on the screen before the main cinema feature, accompanied by the playing of the very long national anthem, with armed soldiers wandering up and down the aisles to make sure everybody is showing the correct comportment of awe. I don't think America wants to go there, although Ive read a lot of posts here from people who secretly do, I suspect.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-30-2009 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 12:48 PM
 
Location: In a house
5,227 posts, read 4,898,416 times
Reputation: 2475
Some people are simply ashamed of America. I pity them. Small minded folks who find fault everywhere & ignore the good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:01 PM
 
2,023 posts, read 3,478,310 times
Reputation: 1547
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Major League Basebell, an American corporate entity headquartered in the USA, made it contractually obligatory that its non-American affiliates play an American patriotic non-anthem during their games, implying a captive participation of non-American spectators. That is hard to defend in principle..
How is it hard to defend in principle? It's an American entity. And, it's a contract. Last I heard, contracts are only enforceable if they're entered into willingly...


Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are, by the way, many countries in which the national anthem is played in movie theaters before the main feature. Canada used to be one of them, but I haven t seen a movie there in a long time. In Newfoundland, Oh Canada is played at the beginning of a movie, and "Ode to Newfoundland" (a much more beautiful song) is played over the closing credits.
Ok, what's the problem here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In African countries, a portrait of the dictator in full regalia is shown on the screen before the main cinema feature, accompanied by the playing of the very long national anthem, with armed soldiers wandering up and down the aisles to make sure everybody is showing the correct comportment of awe. I don't think America wants to go there, although Ive read a lot of posts here from people who secretly do, I suspect.
This one isn't even worth my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,369,670 times
Reputation: 28723
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
How is it hard to defend in principle? It's an American entity. And, it's a contract. Last I heard, contracts are only enforceable if they're entered into willingly...


.
The Toronto Blue Jays have voluntarily entered into a contract with MLB. But that mere fact by itself does not validate the actions of MLB as being in conformity with "fundamental principles". The Blue Jays could hve complied by whizzing through a 7-second version of GBA, but the Canadians, unlike the Americans, have a shred of common decency and respect for the patriotic feelings of people in strange and distant lands.

You buy an airline ticket, you enter voluntarily into a contract with the airline. The airline can still make you endure all sorts of inhuman indignities, and you have a right to pyss and moan, but not to refuse to comply with intolerable unilateral non-negotiable contractual terms that are thrust upon you as the cost of doing business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top