U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM

31,385 posts, read 31,087,877 times

Advertisements

I don't have a dog in this fight. I think this is a matter for Catholics and their church to decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,922,467 times
What difference does it make--------" what we think"---?

As a Catholic, I am glad that the Catholic Church is not a democracy where rules can be changed based on opinion polls !

Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,550,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Quite a straw man.

Jesus wasn't married

There is no proof of that either way.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:03 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
There is no proof of that either way.
So if the Bible does NOT say something, that means it DID happen?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:03 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,550,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
So if the Bible does NOT say something, that means it DID happen?
Which "Bible" do you mean? The edited version, or the intact version?

All I am saying is that it is very strange that he wouldn't be married.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,329,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I am Catholic for the last 44 years of living! I am starting to think the priests should be able to marry within the church. Every other denomination is able to get married...... How can they preach about marriage/sex etc...when they took a vow of celibacy .......etc.....

What do you think?

I definitely think they should be allowed to!
I never understood why the Catholic church overrides the Bible on this; it says:

A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife...1 Tim 3:2

Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Which "Bible" do you mean? The edited version, or the intact version?

All I am saying is that it is very strange that he wouldn't be married.
What is an example of an "edited" version, and what is an example of an "intact" version?

Old 06-02-2009, 09:41 AM

33,969 posts, read 32,424,502 times
Quote:
I am Catholic for the last 44 years of living! I am starting to think the priests should be able to marry within the church. Every other denomination is able to get married...... How can they preach about marriage/sex etc...when they took a vow of celibacy .......etc.....

What do you think?

My opinion is the Catholic Church doesn't want priests to be able to marry because it would expose how many priests are actually gay but I couldn't prove it.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
My opinion is the Catholic Church doesn't want priests to be able to marry because it would expose how many priests are actually gay but I couldn't prove it.
You're right. You can't prove that. And even allowing priests to marry wouldn't expose that.

Please indulge my little diatribe here (not aimed at you, LauraC)...

We've heard a LOT lately about pedophile priests, etc. I'm not going to even begin defending any of that garbage. In fact, it infuriates me that the RCC moved pedophile priests from parish to parish instead of trying them for their crimes. That said...

I do believe that the number and percentage of pedophile priests is EXTREMELY MINUTE. Conversely, I believe that the number and percentage of wonderful, Godly, hard-working priests is extremely high. But the good guys aren't the ones we ever hear about.

Also, I'm kind of frightened for priests. I have had several very good friends who are Catholic priests. One - Father Brixius - is an absolutely incredible guy. He has done a great job of ministering in a very difficult multi-cultural parish for many years. He has a life-long exemplary record of hard work, piety and genuine love and concern. Unfortunately, any one person - at any given time - could make one allegation, and absolutely ruin that guy's reputation and turn his life upside down. After all, any allegation against any priest is now going to be believed. It not only sickens me to know that that can happen, but probably has happened to some excellent priests.

Grrrr... I'm done now.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,375,671 times
Quote:

What do you think?

I'm Baptist and my wife is Catholic. We were married in the Catholic church and went through all of the Catholic pre-marriage infrastructure. I found it odd that a man who can not marry a woman or father children is expected to counsel men and women in their marriage and in parenthood. Color me protestant, but I feel that a pastor has more credibility; he probably well understands any problem for which you seek his counsel and he can advise you from experience, not just theory and faith.

I have enormous respect for someone who feels a calling so deeply to make the choice to become a priest, but I don't think any man or woman should have to choose between a family and a life in the clergy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or