U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:20 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think most of you would love North Korea. Nothing has changed in 50 years, everyone speaks the same language, there are no immigrants or illegal aliens, criminals are criminals, and are dealt with quickly and harshly, the courts don't bother with silly due process, there is no ACLU, everybody has a gun, queeers are summarily executed, they don't import any foreign junk or toxic dogfood, daytime talk radio tells you what to think, and everybody marches in lockstep with the the conservative right-wingers, whom nobody dares to criticize. Sounds exactly like what most of the posters on C-D keep advocating.
nope --the right wingers want that korea for you but not for their honey and definitely not for their baby.
the right wants a class system with them on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 05:46 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,490,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I thought about this as I was scanning on the craigslist job section. Many jobs prefer you to be bilingual. While it may only be a preference now, will it be mandatory for future generations due to the enormous and continued influx of hispanics? Or will the children of all the hispanic immigrants learn English?

I have nothing against hispanics who are here legally but it kind of angers me that I may have to learn Spanish in an English speaking country..lol. My grandparents from Europe learned English and adjusted very well. Due to the sheer amount of hispanics coming in at once the situation is different of that from my grandparents. Everything is in Spanish so why bother learning I suppose?
I have to agree with what Chris said.

However, I think that we have already entered a time period where it is necessary to start focusing on learning a second language, especially for children in school. Not because of whom is coming in but rather how we can operate in other countries. It does not have to be Spanish. We operate globally. Now, you can make extra money as an interpreter here but you have an added dimension in other countries and with corporations.

I do not see that all jobs will require it simply because people refuse to learn another language or cannot. I will say that when you (general) opt out then you have accepted the consequences that you cannot compete in some areas.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,564,164 times
As much as I find it annoying to have to say this....if I owned a business in Orlando (where I live)...I would require at least half my staff speak Spanish just so they could properly communicate with the customers. All around the world people who deal with tourist revenue have to speak English. Having to speak Spanish here is the same difference. If you want the business....you have to do what you have to do.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM

471 posts, read 855,645 times
Quote:
I thought about this as I was scanning on the craigslist job section. Many jobs prefer you to be bilingual. While it may only be a preference now, will it be mandatory for future generations due to the enormous and continued influx of hispanics? Or will the children of all the hispanic immigrants learn English?

I have nothing against hispanics who are here legally but it kind of angers me that I may have to learn Spanish in an English speaking country..lol. My grandparents from Europe learned English and adjusted very well. Due to the sheer amount of hispanics coming in at once the situation is different of that from my grandparents. Everything is in Spanish so why bother learning I suppose?
I live in NY too and I have to disagree. The reason why you see Spanish as a requirement in NY is because the competition here is higher, there are more people who move to NY for jobs. Speaking another language is an asset to the company. Where I work speaking Spanish was not a requirement. I'm the only person who speaks Spanish there (fluent Spanish that is). However, it has come in handy because we deal with people on the phone and every once in a while comes someone who only speaks Spanish and they call on me. It's job security. Is better to be bilingual or speak even 3 languages it helps you more than it hurts you.

Last edited by gf1025; 06-01-2009 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM

10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
I live in NY too and I have to disagree. The reason why you see Spanish as a requirement in NY is because the competition here is higher, there are more people who move to NY for jobs. Speaking another language is an asset to the company. Were I work speaking Spanish was not a requirement. I'm the only person who speaks Spanish there (fluent Spanish that is) is me. However, it has come in handy because we deal with people on the phone and every once in a while comes someone who only speaks Spanish and they call on me. Is job security. Is better to be bilingual or speak even 3 languages it helps you more than it hurts you.
Good point. We can ask (as we bite our nails), 'Will I be required to learn Spanish?' or 'Must I learn Chinese?' or 'Will I be mandated to learn language XXX?'

I have to say, no you won't. Nobody is out to force you to abandon your native language. You wonít be homeless because you didnít learn Spanish.

But perhaps a better question would be, 'Will it ever hurt anyone (or their job marketability) to learn a second language?'

Here too, I'm going to have to say, no it won't.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:22 PM

471 posts, read 855,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Good point. We can ask (as we bite our nails), 'Will I be required to learn Spanish?' or 'Must I learn Chinese?' or 'Will I be mandated to learn language XXX?'

I have to say, no you won't. Nobody is out to force you to abandon your native language. You wonít be homeless because you didnít learn Spanish.

But perhaps a better question would be, 'Will it ever hurt anyone (or their job marketability) to learn a second language?'

Here too, I'm going to have to say, no it won't.
Spanish is much easier to learn. Start with Spanish and Chinese might be a good choice to learn next. However, I've been trying to learn it for a few years now and man, I have to say it's pretty hard!! (Mandarin Chinese)

Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM

10,296 posts, read 9,975,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Spanish is much easier to learn. Start with Spanish and Chinese might be a good choice to learn next. However, I've been trying to learn it for a few years now and man, I have to say it's pretty hard!! (Mandarin Chinese)
indeed!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
PYT

122 posts, read 247,611 times
Quote:

Highly doubt it'll be mandatory. Most immigrants integrate over time and learn english, especially by the 2nd and 3rd generation.

But that doesn't mean you should stop yourself from learning other languages and cultures. Being bilingual will always put you apart from others.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,037,515 times
I have no problem learning another language. However, If you come to America it should be required that immigrants (legal and illegal) learn enough of the local language to communicate. It is ridicules when you have a store in America and someone walks in speaking a forign language and expects ME to understand. Think about it...would you go to another country and not learn some of the language.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 AM

48,519 posts, read 81,013,914 times
Yes;all foreign will have to learn engish if they ever really want to succeed in the US.That is exactly why teh chinese are teach it as a second language to their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or