U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:44 PM

339 posts, read 627,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
BTW, a passport is not the only document accepted for Canada. There are four other cheaper options.

Travel | How to get the right ID for Canada trip | Seattle Times Newspaper

I just talked to a guy in Maine, he said people in Maine are vigorously fighting against the enhanced drivers license, for the privacy invasion reasons already noted in this thread. Enhanced DL is available only in Washington, Michigan, New York and Vermont.
Uh...what's the privacy invasion? Do you have a driver's license? Have you ever given your social security number or had to show your birth certificate for anything? I bet you do and have, and I bet you would to collect a benefit or a pay check of some sort. If someone said...I can only give you your lottery winnings if you show us you are a citizen, you would be ripping the old file cabinet apart to find it.

Where does it stop jtur...where does it stop? Go off the grid brother. Only trade and use gold as currency...live off the land, etc. Otherwise...you are a hypocrite. Your already doing all the stuff you say you are against. You probably signed some sort of contract and gave your information for the internet. Why...because you like to be on CDF. You can be tracked...better watch it. "They" can find you this way. I know you are just that important, because you keep saying you are (in a roundabout way).

BTW...That's just dumb for your Maine friend to vigorously fight (he probably emailed some congressman...hope he didn't hurt his finger in that fight) against enhanced driver's licenses. Now he has to tote his birth certificate around with him. Good plan. He just made his border crossing even more difficult. Awesome.

You crack me up. I have to believe you spew some of this stuff just to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,582,247 times
Unfortunately, we live in a world that demands proper identification. If a person has nothing to hide....just get the documentation you need and you shouldn't have any problems regardless of where you want to go. It's inconvenient....but understandable.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:13 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,138,161 times
As someone who has crossed the US/Canadian border at least 75 times in the past 3 years, and who, in her past life, worked for the US Customs Service, I can say, without hesitation, that *certain* people at the borders (on all sides) don't need the passport requirement as a reason to harass individuals coming into their country. And, I highly doubt that this "new" passport requirement on its own will make any noticeable difference at the border.

I suppose since I have nothing to hide, I don't have any issues with the people at the border scanning my passport, running a trace on the tags on my car, or, in one circumstance, actually x-raying my vehicle. I simply don't understand how this is such a huge issue. "Invasion of privacy"? Gah, if you don't like it, don't enter another sovereign state.

And, if it's true, I don't understand why there is a fight against enhanced drivers licenses. Just like the Nexus Pass, these are *absolutely* voluntary.

There will always be people at the border who take their positions a little *too* seriously. But, it's also the right of a sovereign country to decide who to let through their borders and under what circumstance.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,323,323 times
Passport is not just the issue here honestly. Its the start of a slow downward spiral in the US that started courtesey of the disasterous Patriot Act. Things always start off minor at first. They slowly suck you into losing freedom instead of taking it all at once. All this in the name of keeping us "safe"...lol. Protecting us from the boogie man...lol. Osama is out there....sure he is...so is Santa Claus.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Passport is not just the issue here honestly. Its the start of a slow downward spiral in the US that started courtesey of the disasterous Patriot Act.
I don't see how the passport makes a real difference, honestly.

Though I suppose it can make a difference symbolically, perhaps, if that's the way that you choose to view things.

Frankly, though, the most violated I ever felt visiting a foreign country was when I entered Canada through YVR about 3 1/2 years ago. If you think that the US asking for a passport is invasive, try imagining a border guard swiping your toothbrush with one of those drug detecting wands.

I've traveled to a lot of different countries in my time, and have NEVER crossed a border without having to show some sort of identification. Back in the 90's, it was a driver's license on the US/Canadian border, or a Spanish government-issued student ID card when I was traveling in the EU. Now it's a passport. Since I've had one since I was about 9 years old, it doesn't really make too much of a difference to me.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:31 PM

10,366 posts, read 9,996,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Osama is out there....sure he is...so is Santa Claus.
You may be surprised to find that there are those out in the world who are not exactly flushed with pleasure when it comes to the United States--right or wrong. I'm not one to over blow that sort of thing and I'm generally willing to give the benefit of the doubt. But, at the same time, I don't think it is a good idea to pretend like there is nobody out there who is willing to 'take a swing' at the US if given a chance. After all, it has happened before.

I don't like it. I think it sucks. But, that's the way it is.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:36 PM

Also, if you don't want to be harassed at the border, try getting a Nexus Pass (also called the "Trusted Traveler Program"). Of course, it requires you to give quite a bit of information to the authorities, but if you don't have anything to hide, crossing the border is a breeze.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,603,351 times
How come nobody gets it? Have you ever heard the initials NSA? No? What do you know. The media never talks about it. Congressmen never talk about it. It's that building out in Fort Meade, Maryland. Nobody knows what goes on in there. Its the Area 57 of the East. From aerial photos, it has a parking lot for 18,000 cars. What do you think the people are doing in there? The NSA budget is $0.00. It runs on discretionary spending attached to other bills. Nobody can ever know how much they spend, or what they spend it on.

They are scanning this message. Assassinate. Bomb. President. Hijack. There, a red flag just went up, and somebody in the NSA building has already read this post, before you did. They know who I am and where I live and where all my relatives live, and how much gas I bought last time I filled my tank and where I bought and what time of what day. My car is old, so there is no hidden GPS in it, unless somebody stuck one under the frame, so I have them somewhat buffaloed at the moment. They don't know where it is parked, but they know where I live and they know what time of day I'm usually on line. They know I check the price of gold several times a day. They know how much I spend at the supermarket. They might know what I buy, depends on how hard they are trying. They don't just know who I call on the phone, they have recorded the conversations. They won listen to them until I send up the red flag. Assassinate. President. Bomb. There, now they know. What do they do with the information? We will never know until it is too late. Why is it so important for people to drive 18,000 cars to work every shift, to gather information that they don't intend to use? Why won't they tell us what they intend to use it for? Why don't they want us to know?

Nobody knows, but it is estimated that there are acres and acres of computers in bombproof shelters under the ground at the NSA. They waited seven years to institute the Canada passport scheme, because it took them that long to contract for enough electricity to power a few new acres of computers necessary to document all the information on the new enhanced DLs and passports and Nexus cards.

Our soldiers are abroad, thinking they are risking their lives for our liberty and way of life, and will return to discover that it was all given away by those of us who remained behind.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-01-2009 at 10:16 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nobody knows, but it is estimated that there are 18 acres of computers in the ground under the NSA. They waited seven years to institute the Canada passport scheme, because it took them that long to contract for enough electricity to power a few new acres of computers necessary to document all the information on the new enhanced DLs and passports and Nexus cards.
I'd ask you if you are truly serious, but I think I'd be doubly afraid at the answer.

Geez, I don't know. If "they" are truly interested in my insignificant dealings when I'm crossing the border, I have no issues whatsoever with it. When I cross the border, they know the exact registration history of my car, down to the location where it was first purchased in Florida. And, this should freak me out, because?

If they know enough about me to realize that I am not a threat going across the border, either way, I don't give a hoot. Heck, even if they harass me once in a while because they have nothing better to do, so be it. I know they have no reason to turn me back, and they're not going to find anything that they shouldn't, so it's not a big deal.

And, I have yet to understand from your posts why you think sovereign countries shouldn't have the right to use the sort of information that they do in determining who they allow into their country. Border control can get your criminal history at the touch of a button. In what universe would this be a bad thing? Rather than simply accepting that you're an American, they can find out if you're also serial drunk driver or a child molester. Why shouldn't they be able to know this information?

Old 06-01-2009, 10:22 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,603,351 times
Mishigas, they could care less who crosses the border. That is a smoke screen. The objective is to gather information about you ALL the time, and requiring you to get an enhanced DL with a radio transmitter chip in it is almost as good as implanting the chip in the back of your neck. How can I make that more clear to you?

Think "WWHD". What Would Hitler Do? Im serious. If Hitler had had the data accessing technology and capacity that our government has, what would he have done with it? How sure are you that the data about us all will never fall into the hands of someone that will misuse it? Google Senator Joseph R. McCarthy.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-01-2009 at 10:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or