U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
Reputation: 35909

Advertisements

The first time I got a checking account, the bank handed me a card and said "Write your name and address on this card and show us what your signature looks like at the bottom. What style checks would you like?" That is the alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
 
6,307 posts, read 7,159,664 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD View Post
The alternative is to move into the wilderness (in a remote area) and live off the land. That's it. And...I'm being serious. You will never get an answer to your question because, for the simple fact that they are responding, means that they are still "on the grid". But...being on CDF is fun for them, so they will give up their information to get a computer and internet access. And...for everything else that they like or makes their lives easier. The other "stuff" is all the government infrigning on their rights...until they need it or it works for them.
Thanks.

Now I can stop beating my head against the wall over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM
 
6,307 posts, read 7,159,664 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The first time I got a checking account, the bank handed me a card and said "Write your name and address on this card and show us what your signature looks like at the bottom. What style checks would you like?" That is the alternative.
Yup.

Maybe I should have tried that one when I applied for the bar exam.

Or, maybe banks should just loan people money because they have a "nice face" and *really* promise to pay the money back.

It simply doesn't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
Reputation: 35909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Yup.

Maybe I should have tried that one when I applied for the bar exam.

Or, maybe banks should just loan people money because they have a "nice face" and *really* promise to pay the money back.

It simply doesn't work.
Of course, it was harder to get a loan than a checking account. You had to tell them where you worked, and sign a separate piece of paper. Some people were declined.

It simply does work. It worked for centuries. Banks made money, without charging $30 a day in overdraft fees. If a check came back NSF, they'd phone you and ask when you can cover it. It simply did work. Because the American people then had honor and character. Why don't we any more? People trusted banks and banks trusted people. What has gone so horribly wrong with our culture, our people? Why do you think it is worth saving now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 10:57 PM
 
6,307 posts, read 7,159,664 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

It simply does work. It worked for centuries. Banks made money, without charging $30 a day in overdraft fees. If a check came back NSF, they'd phone you and ask when you can cover it. It simply did work. Because the American people then had honor and character. Why don't we any more? People trusted banks and banks trusted people. What has gone so horribly wrong with our culture, our people? Why do you think it is worth saving now?
So, every institution, including the government, should believe that you are who you say you are, simply because you tell them so?

That's ridiculous.

And, where does this "Americans don't have honor and character anymore" BS come into play with this? It is the reality of our WORLD, not just America.

I know that you'll shudder at this, but I will use another "border example" here to demonstrate my point. A while back, I was stopped just short of the Canadian border by US Customs officials. Strange. There was a checkpoint there, with MANY guards. I was stopped, and my car was x-rayed. A minor inconvenience. But, being through the border as much as I am, I *do* notice trends, and I knew that within a week or two, there would be news of a drug bust coming. Sure enough, not a week later, a rather large drug ring was busted...orchestrated by Canadians.

Now, I ask you. With the obvious tip-off that the US government had about this, what were they supposed to do? Stop me and believe me when I told them who I was and what I was going to be doing in Canada, without doing some extra investigation?

I am NOT a good liar, so it wouldn't have worked anyway. But, what if I was? And, what if this had taken place at some random stop not at the border?

I *know* that I have honor and character, but I sure as hell don't believe that most people in the world do. The government (and for that matter, any other institution that has assets to protect) has to do what they can to protect themselves. The reality of our world dictates that the mere fact that someone says that they are "John Doe" doesn't make it so. Not by a long shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
Reputation: 35909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post

I *know* that I have honor and character, but I sure as hell don't believe that most people in the world do. .
I believe most people do. You must have had some run of bad luck. I would conservatively guess that 95% of the people, all over the world, that I've encountered for any reason, were honorable people of good characters. Even I can detect the ones who are not, so certainly a border official or a bank officer can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
 
6,307 posts, read 7,159,664 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Even I can detect the ones who are not, so certainly a border official or a bank officer can.
Now who's being naive?

*shrug* If you actually believe that no one can fool you, then you are better than the leaders of just about every country on this earth, and there's nothing more that I can say to you on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,270,198 times
Reputation: 17979
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The first time I got a checking account, the bank handed me a card and said "Write your name and address on this card and show us what your signature looks like at the bottom. What style checks would you like?" That is the alternative.
That is pretty much the attiude that let the 9-11 terrorist train in thsi cou8ntyty for their mission. Everyhtng was govenbramnt hassassent. i thni passports should be require to exit and enter the country.You use to be able to go to drivers license and say you lost your drivers licanse and want to also report a change of addresss. If you gave anothers name and number from say a check;wala you had a drivers licnese in that persons name issued by the driver license it self. often used by illegals and criminals.Also a temperary one to use while you waited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,787,572 times
Reputation: 35909
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
often used by illegals and criminals..
They're way ahead of you. They know how to get a passport or an enhanced DL quicker and easier than you or I can. Or just drive across the border at any of hundreds of unmanned border crossings. In winter, snowmobilers from Michigan go across Lake Huron to get a beer in Canada.

This whole thing is a PR stunt to make people think it is necessary to be scared and use Homeland Security as a nanny to look under their beds for them. Making people get passports is like McDonalds putting signs in the rest rooms to make customers think the employees wash their hands before returning to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2009, 04:44 AM
 
1,779 posts, read 2,042,402 times
Reputation: 616
So youre telling me that you would rather loosen security at our boarders so that your oh so precious info is safe...do you really think its safe? All someone has to do is get a check, piece of mail, receipt, or any number of documents and they could mess you over. By making everyone have proper ID and allowing the government to verify who you are...you are safer. When it comes down to it do you really think what you are "protecting" isnt already out there...if you have ever paid a bill online or have a checking account...guess what? its here in cyberspace just waiting for some terrorist to hack into some database and steal your credit.

Hey if they want my credit so badly go right ahead...I watch it like a hawk and so should you.

I am also curious...what do you do that is sooo important that you have to hide it....if you have something to hide you should be watched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top