U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,307,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It has many immigrants, but they tend to be French speaking.

"Tend" is not the right word. Immigrants to Quebec from non-English speaking countries are obliged to enroll their children in French-language schools. There are English language schools, but they are open only to children of parents whose mother language is English. All others must go to French schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 AM

7,561 posts, read 10,682,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
"Tend" is not the right word. Immigrants to Quebec from non-English speaking countries are obliged to enroll their children in French-language schools. There are English language schools, but they are open only to children of parents whose mother language is English. All others must go to French schools.
Yes I know. But there are also a great many folks from Haiti, French-speaking Africa, etc.

You are correct with regards to Quebec's language requirements. Viva le Quebec, Libre!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM

6,673 posts, read 5,387,207 times
As someone hinted at earlier, most folks in the States don’t really follow anything outside the states (I’m taking the actual comment to its logical conclusion ). But when they do, it’s usually something negative. I can hear in now over the back fence: Oh my good lord, can you believe they require students to speak French!

Well, duh, that’s their language! Why shouldn’t they? Can you believe our schools are conducted in English?

I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts (chocolate’s my favorite) those who are indifferent or anti Québec French would be all over 'rallying to the cause' if the languages were swapped. If Québec were struggling to retain English in an encroaching French-speaking Canada, they would suddenly be quite sympathetic. (I like Daylight Donuts best)

We tend to sympathize with struggles that result in commonality with us. We tend to ignore or discourage struggles that result in differences. It tends to be less important whether those struggles are just causes or not (Now, before having an aneurism or reaching for nitro pills, notice I used the word ‘tend’)

Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 AM

5,913 posts, read 4,946,658 times
A substantial portion of this country has its roots in traditional Spanish speaking areas. Maybe the official language of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, and a few other states should be Spanish.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:38 AM

38,744 posts, read 37,307,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
A substantial portion of this country has its roots in traditional Spanish speaking areas. Maybe the official language of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, and a few other states should be Spanish.
It was Spanish, before the 1840s.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Don't know Put it to a vote.

The difference is that in Québec, French is the language of business, government, and a vast majority of the people (80% mother tongue) right now.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:32 PM

365 posts, read 730,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Don't know Put it to a vote.

The difference is that in Québec, French is the language of business, government, and a vast majority of the people (80% mother tongue) right now.
I don't really know what point you’re trying to argue here?

Quebec is majority French region within a majority English country.
U.S.A. is majority English country with a growing Spanish minority.

That people who support English-only in America should in theory support French in Quebec?

One is a case of a "minority group" getting rights from the "majority".
One is a case of a "majority group" denying rights to a "minority". Apples to Oranges my friend. Unless I'm missing something...

Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 PM

7,561 posts, read 10,682,076 times
Quote:
Actually, New Mexico is officially bilingual- Spanish and English.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
I don't really know what point you’re trying to argue here?

Quebec is majority French region within a majority English country.
U.S.A. is majority English country with a growing Spanish minority.

That people who support English-only in America should in theory support French in Quebec?

One is a case of a "minority group" getting rights from the "majority".
One is a case of a "majority group" denying rights to a "minority". Apples to Oranges my friend. Unless I'm missing something...
Correct me if I’m wrong, but your vote is that their struggle is unjustified because although they are a majority within their region (a very LARGE region of 600,000 square miles), it is ‘overruled’ by being within an even larger non-French speaking region. In our case, we are justified because our region just happens to encompass our entire nation.

My vote is they are justified (as are we) because the region is very large, the language is traditional to the area, the culture is unique to them, business is conducted in that language, and daily life is overwhelmingly carried out in that language.

Other votes? I should have made it a poll: Do you support Québec’s desire to retain their language, tradition, and culture or not? Why? How do you compare it to the US struggle to retain English only?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a hypothetical for you: let’s say the entire western half and eastern seaboard of the US became majority Spanish speaking. Let’s say the Spanish language was (by popular vote) made official. You live in the middle, still speaking English. What would your attitude be toward your English at that point? After all, it would be for the good of the entire nation if you learned Spanish, wouldn’t it? I’ll bet most of you would refuse to give it up... whether or not it is for the common ‘good.’ In fact, I’ll bet many of you would become quite militant about it. Sound familiar?

Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 PM

14,369 posts, read 11,936,084 times
I support Quebec's efforts to retain their culture et les autres choses, but I do not for a moment support the ham-handed, quasi-fascistic way they have gone about it: in effect, by punishing and discriminating against the anglophones who have lived there as long as the francophones have.

Perhaps if the Quebeckers were a little more equitable to the minorities within their borders, they would be regarded more positively by the majority without (not that they do not already benefit from the numerous concessions made by the Canadian government to their pride and vanity...).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates