U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 06:53 PM

16 posts, read 38,155 times

Advertisements

I recently found out that I have citizenship in both Japan and the United States, however before I become 22 I will be legally required to abandon my citizenship to one of these countries. I would have really liked to have been able to keep my dual nationality. Do you agree or disagree with the policy of having to abandon one of your citizenships if you are of dual nationality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 PM

15,616 posts, read 9,156,993 times
Different countries handle this in different ways. For example, my friend was born in the UK but grew up here in the USA and is a US citizen. She has a British passport and a US passport. The UK recognizes her as a "dual" citizen. The US only recognizes her US citizenship - they do not honor her British citizenship.

Personally, I think dual citizenship is bogus - maybe especially for a US citizen but also, I'd think, for any person who loves their country. I take the pledge of allegiance and my rights and responsibilities as a US citizen seriously. My pledge is to this country and this country only.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:12 PM

6,111 posts, read 4,862,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Different countries handle this in different ways. For example, my friend was born in the UK but grew up here in the USA and is a US citizen. She has a British passport and a US passport. The UK recognizes her as a "dual" citizen. The US only recognizes her US citizenship - they do not honor her British citizenship.

Personally, I think dual citizenship is bogus - maybe especially for a US citizen but also, I'd think, for any person who loves their country. I take the pledge of allegiance and my rights and responsibilities as a US citizen seriously. My pledge is to this country and this country only.

There is one useful thing about having dual status and two passports (i.e. US and a third country i.e Britain). There are times when you might be ashamed or get into trouble presenting foreign officials with a US passport. For example, travel to places like Iran, Cuba, or Venezula. A US passport is not valid for travel to Cuba and a Cuban visa stamp is illegal and evidence that you have broken US law.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 PM

471 posts, read 855,557 times
I'm a dual Citizen but I'm not allowed to have 2 passports. I only have my American Passport. I am, however, allowed to vote in both countries. I love being a dual Citizen. Although, I only vote in the United States since I live here I like having the option of voting in both countries. I don't think is right to have to "give up" citizenship in one country.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:39 PM

13,115 posts, read 9,199,435 times
You might investigate dual NATIONALITY. Nationality is a characteristic of birth, while citizenship is a political liberty.
Americans can get a passport as an American national OR a U.S. citizen.
You might have to choose which nation you wish to exercise political liberty, vote and hold office, but that shouldn't affect your dual nationality status.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:46 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,147,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post

No, it's not "bogus". My daughter, a born US citizen, married an Australian. She now holds dual citizenship. Since she is living and working in Australia, and contributing just as any born citizen would, there is no reason for her not to be recognized as a citizen of that good country. But on the other hand, there is no reason for her to give up her US citizenship, either.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:57 PM

16 posts, read 38,155 times
I'm not certain but from what I've read so far the two terms seem to be used interchangebly, at least in regards to japanese policy. According to the united states embassy in japan "If you do not choose a nationality, you may lose your Japanese nationality. Because of this, it is important to consider this issue carefully". Also "The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates