U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times

Advertisements

On what basis, then, do you say you have such a good life now, compared to most of the rest of the people in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:17 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,045,104 times
Yep, I'm happy. Very happy.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:38 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On what basis, then, do you say you have such a good life now, compared to most of the rest of the people in the world?

I have electricity, plumbing, clean water right from the tap, cars, I never go hungry and have lots of "toys" to play with. I can walk down the street at night without fear of being murdered by a drug cartel and/or the police for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Outside of western society that would be your normal life. I don't know how you could miss the massive poverty problems in Paraguay if you lived there, as well as the huge divide between the few rich people and everyone else. As I remember Asuncion was above average on the South American pretty city list, but out in los campos it is a different world.

Isn't it obvious the 1st world has it better than the 3rd? But despite all the crap and privileges we have, we don't appear to be any happier than they are. The poster wanted to know if I was happy... I should be but I'm not. It doesn't sound like you are happy either. So, the question is: "why?"

Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I have electricity, plumbing, clean water right from the tap, cars, I never go hungry and have lots of "toys" to play with. I can walk down the street at night without fear of being murdered by a drug cartel and/or the police for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Outside of western society that would be your normal life. I don't know how you could miss the massive poverty problems in Paraguay if you lived there, as well as the huge divide between the few rich people and everyone else. As I remember Asuncion was above average on the South American pretty city list, but out in los campos it is a different world.

Isn't it obvious the 1st world has it better than the 3rd? But despite all the crap and privileges we have, we don't appear to be any happier than they are. The poster wanted to know if I was happy... I should be but I'm not. It doesn't sound like you are happy either. So, the question is: "why?"
I lived in a town of about 1,000 people, a couple of hours outside Asuncion, and as far as I could tell, it was pretty much like any other town in Paraguay. It is not obvious at all to me that the first world has it better than the third. In Bolivia, I lived in a town of maybe 100 people, which had a road leading to it, but the only vehicle I ever saw on that road was the bus that made one daily two-hour round trip to Tarija. If I had gone around and asked people what they wanted, that they didn't have, many of them would probably not have been able to think of anything, except maybe another cow.

I've been in about 120 countries, including almost all of them in Africa. Starvation is almost unknown, actual hunger is rare. An overwhelming majority of the planet lives in a money economy---they have money, they buy things, they have most of what they need and most even have a little money for things they want. I've been in rural places where they don't, and some fall through the cracks in cities, as well. But for the most part, people of the world have few needs that are not being met.

There are very few places in the world where I felt less safe walking down the street than I do in an unfamiliar American city. At least, in most other countries, if I ask a stranger for help, I will not be ignored or turned away.

As for your last question, I refer you to post #4 in this thread.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM

458 posts, read 1,136,208 times
As each year goes by, and I am not that old, I find I am more understanding and accepting and patient of things than the year before or 5 years ago. I do not need material "gains" as much as I thought I did. I seem to see things more clearly, and want more out of myself and my family than I do my bank account. I am happy with my life, there are things that could be different or changed, but that will come with time, I am happier today than I was last year, and I am sure I will be happier next year than I am this year, and if not there is always the year after. I don't expect to be happy every day of every year for the rest of my life, as things do happen. But for the most part as of right now, I am happy.

I also try to be the best person I can, the best mother, wife and friend. I try to be an understanding and devoted daughter and sister. But I also make time for me, to give me the down time I need to rejuvenate so I can be all those things. As long as I know I am true to who I am, as best as I can be. That just adds to my happiness.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:28 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,212,225 times
I am happy today that I am able to navigate a guitar fretboard. If I can become the best musician I can be, and play my own music that will make me happy.

I don't expect any person to make me happy. I haven't met any person who wants to have a deep friendship, except married men who claim they aren't married. So I got off the "love wagon" long ago.
I don't expect to find "Love" and if I did, I would be very suspicious of it. The ones doing that kind of talk turn out to be liars.

I work hard at my two jobs, keep up to date in my field, do creative things, and am a political junky.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:21 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

There are very few places in the world where I felt less safe walking down the street than I do in an unfamiliar American city. At least, in most other countries, if I ask a stranger for help, I will not be ignored or turned away.

You must not look like an American then. The first question everyone asked me with that suspicious look and their gun hand behind their back was if I was CIA.

But your point is taken. People in general are more likely to just walk right past you when you need help in America. So I'll buck the trend and give you a snuggly wuggly virtual hug even though I don't really like you so far.

Peace out

Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,212,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
You must not look like an American then. The first question everyone asked me with that suspicious look and their gun hand behind their back was if I was CIA.

But your point is taken. People in general are more likely to just walk right past you when you need help in America. So I'll buck the trend and give you a snuggly wuggly virtual hug even though I don't really like you so far.

Peace out

Boy, I disagree with both of you. Go live somewhere where life is a real struggle and see if you get help.
I have had strangers help me and I have helped strangers.

I wonder why, if some think America is so bad, why live here? Obviously you are contrasting this nation to something you deem as better.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Boy, I disagree with both of you. Go live somewhere where life is a real struggle and see if you get help.

I wonder why, if some think America is so bad, why live here? Obviously you are contrasting this nation to something you deem as better.
The main reason I now live in America is because it is hard to live in the third world without family connections, which I do not have. Your family is the social security system there.

I've lived in six third-world countries, where you think life is a real struggle. It's not. Everybody gets by because families help their own, and if that fails, strangers help everybody, no questions asked, no suspicions. Nothing asked in return.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post

The main reason is because it is hard to live in the third world without family connections, which I do not have. Your family is the social security system there.

I've lived in six third-world countries, where you think life is a real struggle. It's not. Everybody gets by because families help their own, and if that fails, strangers help everybody, no questions asked, no suspicions. Nothing asked in return.

Stand out on the highway in the US and try to hitch a lift. See of one of the first 100,000 cars stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or