U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times

Advertisements

I always make the best of what I have and enjoy life to it's fullest. I have to say though, right now, I am happier than I have ever been - or ever thought possible.

Now, if I can just get my professional life to be as good as my personal life, everything will be perfect.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:58 PM

7,678 posts, read 18,913,063 times
Quote:
Stand out on the highway in the US and try to hitch a lift. See of one of the first 100,000 cars stops.
First off, since 40 years ago we were all taught not to pick up strangers, second would you pick up a hitch hiker if you heard all the horror stories ?

Waukesha - A 20-year-old hitchhiker who authorities say claimed he had a gun and threatened to kill two men who picked him up was charged Monday with disorderly conduct, criminal damage to property and obstructing an officer.

I'll take my chances of not picking up a stranger. Doesn't mean I'm not friendly.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,038,206 times
No intention of pushing buttons but for those of you who are arguing and say they don't have a good life, and your not happy...What is not to be happy about? Think about it...you obviously have a roof over your head, electricity, constant communication with the whole world. Wanna know how I know this? Cause you are on this forum reading this or chatting with people with various life experience, this in no time to be sad, angry, or bitter. We live in a day where information is freely traded and you can learn about anything you want.

You have more potential than anyone had 20 years ago. Yes, I am only 25 but I have lived a life that most don't live. Most people that have gone through what I have are in their 50's or 60's. I am grateful for the smallest things in life.

But, Then most also have never been where I have. One thing I learned is that, life doesn't play the waiting game. Its not going to slow down and let you catch up. You have to go with it, don't let life lead you. You need to get out infront of it and take it where you want to go. You dont have to hit rock bottom to learn this.

The movie, "the bucket list" is a great example of how not to waste a single moment. You don't have to be on your death bed to make a list. I take every opportunity that comes my way. I also add things to my list all the time.

Ever since my Mom passed away 5 years ago on June 1st, I have lived...people think I am crazy, but 40 years from now when they are wishing that they had done more I will be able to smile and remember the things I have done.

Ask yourself, how do you want it to end...wishing you had done more, or remembering all the adventures you had?
Also forget that saying that life is too short, its the longest thing you do.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,215,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The main reason is because it is hard to live in the third world without family connections, which I do not have. Your family is the social security system there.

I've lived in six third-world countries, where you think life is a real struggle. It's not. Everybody gets by because families help their own, and if that fails, strangers help everybody, no questions asked, no suspicions. Nothing asked in return.

Stand out on the highway in the US and try to hitch a lift. See of one of the first 100,000 cars stops.

Well, I am sure they have crime in 3rd world nations, and crime is the reason people don't pick up hitch hikers.

But if you prefer that, why be here?

Many Americans move around for jobs, just like their ancestors had to move for jobs. I am not saying this is preferable.

But I don't see any huge immigrations to 3rd world nations.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Boy, I disagree with both of you. Go live somewhere where life is a real struggle and see if you get help..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
First off, since 40 years ago we were all taught not to pick up strangers, second would you pick up a hitch hiker if you heard all the horror stories ?

I'll take my chances of not picking up a stranger. Doesn't mean I'm not friendly.
I'm starting to lose track here. Do Americans help others, or not? Does that make America a happy place or not?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:24 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
i dont do happy happy very well, i dont like the lotto type thing it usually roller coasters straight down right after.
i will go for the series of small successes. i will take the long way home.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:08 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,707,909 times
I'm becoming happier as I become older and learn more about the world around me and how sane and grounded I am compared to it. It also becomes apparent that life doesn't last forever and you have to make the best of it.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:22 AM

1,525 posts, read 3,294,748 times
Heck no. I've worked my whole life. The expected payoff was wealth and autonomy. Yet one economic screw up after another, that I was not participating in, had managed to screw my life up vicariously.

Didn't have a dime in the market or overpriced mortgage in this last one. Have burned through over a year and a half's living expenses hunting for the next decent position.

You only get to be young once. In the U.S. the ideal is "young, good looking, and rich". If you don't get all three, then the fact is, your life is a compromise from the best it could be.

Any other point of view is largely a rationalization that starts sort of like:

"Well, I don't have [fill in rich and famous person's name] life... *but*... blah, blah, blah..."

Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 PM

5,554 posts, read 5,868,866 times
I'm content and sometimes quite happy. It took a lot of living, some great pleasures and some tragedies to help me know what I need for my own happiness. One thing I have learned, it is not dependent on other people. A good person can greatly enhance your life, but only you yourself can establish your own good sense of well-being. Keep the toxic people out of your life and surround yourself with those and that which makes you smile - usually the small things: Many things about my granddaughter, a son who can bring me to fits of laughter, sitting on the sofa on a summer afternoon and just staring at all the green and listening to all quiet - many, many things. I could go on and on. In fact, I've made a list (a very long one) of the simple things that bring me much happiness.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:00 PM

963 posts, read 1,372,050 times
I feel like the odd ball here among all these happy folks.

As it stands right now, I'm currently not happy with the way things are going in my life. I know things could be worse, and I'm blessed to live in a safe country and have a somewhat stable job, but I just feel like I've had a lot of things thrown at me, that I don't think a lot of people normally have to deal with.

I suffer from major depression and social anxiety, so it's somewhat hard for me to make friends. I actually tried, but have gotten rejected a lot by people. I had one good friend I met a few years ago, but he died in a car accident. I wanted to go see a psychologist, but things are so tight at my job it's kind of hard now to get time off. Them I'm also dealing with my sexuality (I'm a closet gay guy due to my family being ultra conservative) and trying to live a "double" life without getting caught.

I have a mentally ill sibling and parents who are getting older, so I'm constantly worried about how I'm going to take care of them. I just wish sometimes, I could have a normal life, with a good job (or my own business, lol) with a wife and children, but it will never happen for me. Despite all this, I try and put a smile each day and just press on, because things could always be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or