Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 08:06 PM

830 posts, read 1,059,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
My life has not turned out the way I wanted it to but then again who's does?
But I was supposed to be living in Poland married to a nice polish woman but I am living in Milwaukee(which I love) and I married a nice country girl who is Norwegian. I work in finance and so does she but I actually always wanted to be a truck driver(local). I didn't want fancy things or a big house or a prestigious suburb or hob nob with the movers or shakers but here I find myself in a job and area of which is the opposite of what I wanted just 4yrs ago. I actually am very happy but a few regrets but generally I have came to a point money or no money I will be happy but I am amazed how many depressed people are out there.

So all in all are you happy with your life?
My happiest time was when the kids were young. Everyone was young, even my parents. This is not my favorite time of life. I don't mind getting older but my family is dying off and I am having a tough time with that. I realize we all die and I actually don't fear death for myself, I am just really sad that the people I love are leaving. I am very sensitive even as I age and I am not coping well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,923,247 times
I really really am. I think of all the years I tried to make myself happy to no avail. Then there was the day I learned how to turn my life over to Jesus. From that point on, even my worst days now is far beyond all my best days previously.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:06 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,345,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I feel like the odd ball here among all these happy folks.

As it stands right now, I'm currently not happy with the way things are going in my life. I know things could be worse, and I'm blessed to live in a safe country and have a somewhat stable job, but I just feel like I've had a lot of things thrown at me, that I don't think a lot of people normally have to deal with.
we all go through our own trials, I am sure that you will come out of this fairly unharmed. I thought my life was a wreck and it was(post #5) but I worked my way around it.

Quote:
I suffer from major depression and social anxiety, so it's somewhat hard for me to make friends. I actually tried, but have gotten rejected a lot by people. I had one good friend I met a few years ago, but he died in a car accident. I wanted to go see a psychologist, but things are so tight at my job it's kind of hard now to get time off. Them I'm also dealing with my sexuality (I'm a closet gay guy due to my family being ultra conservative) and trying to live a "double" life without getting caught.
What most people dont get is that you are not here to audition for peoples friendship, by hiding who you really are you are limiting yourself from the people who would call themselves your friends. Friends come and go, but you will always be you. Other people should not make you who you are, you need to establish this yourself.

Quote:
I have a mentally ill sibling and parents who are getting older, so I'm constantly worried about how I'm going to take care of them. I just wish sometimes, I could have a normal life, with a good job (or my own business, lol) with a wife and children, but it will never happen for me. Despite all this, I try and put a smile each day and just press on, because things could always be worse.
I am glad you try to put on a smile, but why is this socalled "life" that you invision for yourself not obtainable? You can do whatever you want. Nobody but you sets these limitations. If you are afraid people will not like or understand you then who needs them...the people that are going o be your friends will accept you for who you are.

If you like, I have sent you a friend request...I would like to talk with you more if you like. Maybe my life experiance can help you. Maybe my trials through life can help guide you, if not give you a more posotive insite.

I encourage all of you to read a book called its time for your comback, by tim story...it is a little religious...ok alot...but if you can just see it for what it is worth...it is a great read.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,007,221 times
I think people should spend more time on their moral or moods or emotional state what ever you want to call it. People get worked up for such small things, like a 1950's miller ad once stated "Enjoy Life"

Just Listen:

YouTube - 50's Miller High Life Beer Commercial

Old 06-04-2009, 09:39 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,722,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I feel like the odd ball here among all these happy folks.

As it stands right now, I'm currently not happy with the way things are going in my life. I know things could be worse, and I'm blessed to live in a safe country and have a somewhat stable job, but I just feel like I've had a lot of things thrown at me, that I don't think a lot of people normally have to deal with.

I suffer from major depression and social anxiety, so it's somewhat hard for me to make friends. I actually tried, but have gotten rejected a lot by people. I had one good friend I met a few years ago, but he died in a car accident. I wanted to go see a psychologist, but things are so tight at my job it's kind of hard now to get time off. Them I'm also dealing with my sexuality (I'm a closet gay guy due to my family being ultra conservative) and trying to live a "double" life without getting caught.

I have a mentally ill sibling and parents who are getting older, so I'm constantly worried about how I'm going to take care of them. I just wish sometimes, I could have a normal life, with a good job (or my own business, lol) with a wife and children, but it will never happen for me. Despite all this, I try and put a smile each day and just press on, because things could always be worse.
Many people have had sad things happen in their lives, and all go through bad patches. Circumstances beyond one's control play a very large part, and it is understandable and not blameful to not be happy because of them. No one who lives a long life will not experience this. That being said, things change, and many people become happier as they get older. I don't believe happiness will elude you forever. . When we are bogged down, we often think "this is the way it is" and it's impossible to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but everything changes one way or another.

Don't lose heart. We all have to plod on, but I bet your ship will come in.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:58 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,345,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I think people should spend more time on their moral or moods or emotional state what ever you want to call it. People get worked up for such small things, like a 1950's miller ad once stated "Enjoy Life"

Just Listen:

YouTube - 50's Miller High Life Beer Commercial
Thank you...That made my day...Miller High life...who knew?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,334,877 times
quoting from an "earlier" post. . . "we all have to plod on". I disagree. . . we can plod if we wish too, of course, or we can dance and sing, even "fly" along. As one who has a lifetime of experience with clinical depression, now corrected with SSRI's, I am not unaware that many who suffer from this disease are not as "lucky" as I am, some need to experiment with different medications, or change medications ocassionally, to enjoy relief (me, I just have to up the dose every 4 years or so), but treatment is "out there and available", and once the brain chemistry changes, you would not believe how many things become "possible". . . the critical one "being who you really are", does in fact change everything. E2KSJ3, please seek help. ALL of the "unhappy" gay folk that I know appear to be unhappy, not because they are gay in a largely straight society, but because they continue to hide who they really are. . . I don't care if you are 92 years old. . . please get real with yourself and others. . . get the medical help you need. . . what, after all, do you have to lose except your unhappiness!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
Miller High Life ad-------

I kept waiting for big jolly dude to come in with a dolly and start hauling out their High Life.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:41 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,641,880 times
This is the first time I have came to the "Great Debates" forum! I was afraid it was all people arguing about politics, and I wasn't going to go there!

Am I happy with my life??? You bet I am! It is quite different than what I had planned at the ripe old age of 16 (being a beach bum and partying every day),............ It is much better!! I am married, have two kids and live in a beautiful area of the country. I have been through some real hard times when I was younger, but I believe that is what gives you character! We are average, financially. It would be nice to have a little more money, but I have never placed that much importance on money. I think chasing the almighty dollar is what destroys so many people these days. As long as I can pay the bills and put food on the table, I'm good!

Sure I would change a few small things, like it would be great if I just had more time to be spontaneous and do "whatever". I also do wish that my dh shared my philosopy on life (life's too short to be mad, go with the flow, etc.), and wasn't always stressed out and worked up over things that really don't matter. But otherwise, it's all good!

By the way, to the OP, my husband is a truck driver - - - and he'd like to have a "desk job"!!!!! I guess maybe the grass isn't always greener on the other side!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 23,007,221 times
Quote:
By the way, to the OP, my husband is a truck driver - - - and he'd like to have a "desk job"!!!!! I guess maybe the grass isn't always greener on the other side!
You see I was a truck driver for 3 years and loved every minute of it. I didn't go OTR so I was home every night but I just enjoyed every single day. But I didn't make as much as I do know however it was a much easy and peaceful life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates