U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,648,289 times

Advertisements

I am stunned. Anybody who doesn't receive the "sacrament" of marriage in a church isn't married? They have civil unions! lol Does than apply to synagogues, mosques, temples, etc. too? I guess so since they don't have sacraments.

I suppose Jesus was a civil union ceremony when he turned that water into wine since his churches had not been established yet.

This is good example why "marriage" needs to be redefined. There is FAR too much RELIGOUS connotation to it in this country today.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,707,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
whereas wearing fishnet shirts and man-thongs and going out of your way to be sexually explicit in public is not part of being gay. It's part of pushing an agenda or your beliefs onto other people who are not interested in either participating or even so much as thinking about the issue at the time. When is the last time you saw a heterosexual pride parade with heteros dressed in that manner and having open heterosexual sex on Main Street? Never, that's when. It would be considered bigotry. That's why many people have problems with gays flaunting their homosexuality in such manners. It's not necessary, it's not making a statement, and it only happens to be antagonistic...just like your post.

As for calling it marriage, that goes down (pun intended) to religion. The word marriage does not refer to a legal standing or bond...it refers to one of the seven holy sacraments of Christianity, and is explicitly defined as between 1 man and 1 woman. If I am a Christian, I do not want one of the tenets of my religion to be bastardized by someone, anyone, whether they be homosexual or polygamist or whatever, for the sole purpose of gaining a legal advantage. Even if the only advantage is equality in symantics. Likewise, a Christian would feel that no heterosexual couple who is joined by a justice of the peace and does not take an oath before God is truly married, but is joined in a civil union. Why do you have to call it marriage, even when a civil union provides the same legal opportunities? To be antagonistic, nothing else.
Not all gays are flaunting their sexuality. I hope you aren't making a sweeping generalization and understand that there are many gay people who lead just as a reserved life as any other. As for the parades, well yes there are no hetero parades but take this into account, when one is born and grows up in society, the assumption alway is this person is straight. For 4-7% of us we are not - so look at the parade as a way of letting society know about this. As for the parades themselves, these are once a year occurences - aside from the naughtiness of the parades ie. nudity and overt sexuality I hardly know why it is a big deal. You are more than free not to partake in the parade, but i do agree - people should be covering up.

As for your connection with religion and marriage. Religion and i'm not talking about Christianity (which only represents 18% of the worlds total population) has never ever had ownership over the term marriage. There are a plethora of definitions of marriage - tell me how do gays bastardize marriage when noboby has ownership over the term. Do you not feel, as a Christian that a divorce would equally bastardize marriage - given the logic of your argument?

Last edited by mississauga75; 06-02-2009 at 03:05 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Marriage became religious because it was a vow, or an oath, between two people, to undertake to do something. Every contract in all societies is sealed with a reference to a diety, as an assurance that the person breaking the contract would be stricken with some dread consequences for his transgression. Our society has barely advanced beyond that of the most primitive cultures, in almost all respects, so it is only natural that we would still believe that an erring spouse can only be kept in line by threats of divine rage.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:05 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,902,291 times
[quote=QwertyFarmer;9094378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Are gays hurting the value of marriage..of course they are and I am going to catch hell for that one. Gays marrying has turned the whole idea of marriage upside down and you can't tell me that it hasn't. =quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post

Gays have turned marriage upside down? Are you serious? You heterosexuals have done a darn good job on your own, having the right to do so, in turning marriage into a farce of reality. Heterosexuals get married in Vegas and divorced hours later. Heterosexuals get married, have 8 kids, have affairs, then get divorced. Heterosexuals marry 5 wives, have 18 children, then get divorced. Heterosexuals order a spouse from overseas, get married, have miserable lives, then get divorced. HHmmm? But, according to you homosexuals are ruining marriage. Frankly, I think heterosexuals are afraid homosexuals may do a better job at marriage than heterosexuals have. Ever heard of glass houses and stones?
"You heterosexuals"? Got a little us an them going on there bub? OK, you don't like heterosexuals, I get the point. I have never wronged a gay person in my life, nor have I a problem with 'you homosexuals' having live in relationships, property rights whatever but generalizing statements like this quoted post TICK me off. Being heterosexual makes one worthy of contempt in your eyes? Give it a rest will ya. Take some of your own advice and quit it with the rocks. Are 'you homosexuals' ruining marrige? Not in my view, but I'm just one person. Posts like the above are certainly ruining any credibility you wish to gain , however. Is there such a thing as 'heterophobic'? Starting to look that way................

Old 06-02-2009, 04:28 PM

727 posts, read 1,650,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
People always ask on this forum why do gay people flaunt that they are gay? (FYI not all gays do this)

Why do skateboarders bring their skateboards everywhere? Why do they always wear skate shoes? Who do rich California girls all wear pink and have purse dogs? Why does someone who loves rap wear baggy clothes? Why do business men always wear suits? Why do people wear affliction and Ed Hardy? Why do people wear gap clothing? Why do people who like country music blast it in their trucks?

Its a simple thing...its their lifestyle. Its the thing that makes you who you are in your eyes. You could care less what others think of you, cause your happy and nobody else should be concerned with what makes you happy, unless it is hurting someone. Not only is it their lifestyle but you have to realize that if you are always seeing it, you are probably looking for it. Think about it...if you are highly political you will see politics everywhere. If you are into shoes...you will see them everywhere.

This brings me to the real question...

Are gay people hurting anyone? And don't give me that junk about them hurting the value of marriage. I am talking about a single gay person. Individually how does one gay person hurt anyone else by simply being gay?

Now put two gay people together in a marriage? How does this hurt anyone?

That is a question I have asked several times and no one can answer?
U lost me with the "Why do people who like rap wear baggy clothes.....thats not accurate BUT........I agree with the rest of your post. I am a straight man but I look at people as people. People always tend to put that label on others. I'm a lover of people and had several gay friends and I dont think twice about their sexual orientation. GAY PEOPLE ARE HUMANS!!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:29 PM

727 posts, read 1,650,835 times
As far as gay marriage I'm middle of the road when it comes to that.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:06 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
gay people are humans, and they are not "flaunting" anything. if they hold hands, i htink that is an expression of affection. if you think that is flaunting, then a boy and a girl holding hands is "flaunting". sounds pretty silly huh?

as for parades. we have all kinds of parades. St pattys. puerto rican day parade. memorial day parade. 4th of july parade. i see no problem with those parades and i dont think those people are pushing agendas either.

quite silly.

lets just leave the gays alone already.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:00 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
There are too many people in this country who have made a life commitment to not leaving people alone.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:22 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,707,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are too many people in this country who have made a life commitment to not leaving people alone.
LOL - you are hilarious and you don't even try

Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,037,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I agree. That is why all credibility of those individuals should be taken away. Or we should actually start treating people the way they treat others. The golden rule says to treat others as you wish to be treated...OK, so start treating people the way they display they want to be treated. If they are nice, be nice...if they're rude, be rude in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or