U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,522,215 times

Advertisements

To answer the question in the title of this thread, because they are human beings, whether any of us agree with that lifestyle or not.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:45 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,826,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Well to answer the question in the subject of your post...because you can't leave us alone, be that by gay pride parades, protests, or even your post here. No one asked you to post this...you did because you can't leave the issue alone yourself.

Your comparisons are like comparing apples to oranges. Skateboarders bring their boards everywhere so they can (guess what) skateboard! They wear skate shoes because that's what someone wears when they skateboard, just like golfers wear golf shoes and bowlers wear bowling shoes. It's part of the activity, whereas wearing fishnet shirts and man-thongs and going out of your way to be sexually explicit in public is not part of being gay. It's part of pushing an agenda or your beliefs onto other people who are not interested in either participating or even so much as thinking about the issue at the time. When is the last time you saw a heterosexual pride parade with heteros dressed in that manner and having open heterosexual sex on Main Street? Never, that's when. It would be considered bigotry. That's why many people have problems with gays flaunting their homosexuality in such manners. It's not necessary, it's not making a statement, and it only happens to be antagonistic...just like your post.

As for calling it marriage, that goes down (pun intended) to religion. The word marriage does not refer to a legal standing or bond...it refers to one of the seven holy sacraments of Christianity, and is explicitly defined as between 1 man and 1 woman. If I am a Christian, I do not want one of the tenets of my religion to be bastardized by someone, anyone, whether they be homosexual or polygamist or whatever, for the sole purpose of gaining a legal advantage. Even if the only advantage is equality in symantics. Likewise, a Christian would feel that no heterosexual couple who is joined by a justice of the peace and does not take an oath before God is truly married, but is joined in a civil union. Why do you have to call it marriage, even when a civil union provides the same legal opportunities? To be antagonistic, nothing else.

Something is seriously wrong with you. That is what they said before the civil rights movement. Why should blacks be allowed to marry whites? Why do they protest for their rights? Why don't they just leave the whites alone? right....?

Gays do nothing else than blacks did back then. They fight for their rights. Rights we all should have! Your post makes no sense at all. It is full of hate. And you call yourself a "christian" ?

God would turn over in his grave if he could read your post.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:05 PM

1,779 posts, read 2,039,728 times
here is the best example that I can come up with why some members of the gay community might show their ways off to the public...Simply it is a celebration of freedom. To the younger generations this might not make sense but I will try.

Think about the prohabition on alcohal...lasted 14 years. 14 years of no booze allowed in america...today that sounds foolish. It would never happen these days. When that dry spell ended there was partying in the streets for days. Beer was in the hads of almost every adult.

Slavery...What slavery ended, there was celebrations going on all around the US. Why not, after years of the worst possible lifestyle your finally free.

When The black community was finally recognized as equals...this day also spawned a week long celebration.

Womens rights...When women rights where finally granted celebration was wide spread as well.

We live in a day and age where people dont wait for overall exceptance. We live the life we want without care of what others think. I am not Gay, however I can somewhat see why some would show it off...Everyday I clearly show off my tattoos and my lifestyle...I am proud of it. I feel I have nothing to hide, If you cant except my lifestyle, I could care less...I am not here to gain exceptance form anyone. However, I do proudly show who I am publicly and let everyone know that I am here to stay. I will not hide, cower, or leave becasue YOU cant except I am who I am.

Just like most religions that I feel are pointless, they are here to stay and constatly make their presance known. Almost any group or class that you could fit someone into is proud to be what they are and publicly display that. We may not agree with how they choose to display it, but it is really non of our business.

If you are ashamed of who you are, why? Whats the point of being you if all you do is hide it...let the world know who you are...its called freedom...and nobody, not even the government can take that right away.

Name me one group that doesnt force their own agenda on everyone else? Every group and organization does it in their own way...they may deny it but, you show me a group that doesnt try to show off their ways to everyone and I'll show you how they do.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:22 PM

19,081 posts, read 21,220,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
When is the last time you saw a heterosexual pride parade with heteros dressed in that manner and having open heterosexual sex on Main Street?
You've never heard of Mardi Gras? Fantasy Fest in Key West (which is a mix really). Heterosexuals have been dressing and behaving in a sexual manner in public long before homosexuals hit the streets.

Quote:
As for calling it marriage, that goes down (pun intended) to religion. The word marriage does not refer to a legal standing or bond...it refers to one of the seven holy sacraments of Christianity, and is explicitly defined as between 1 man and 1 woman.
Marriage was not conceived by Christendom. Here's a bit of history of marriage via wiki.
Marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
If I am a Christian, I do not want one of the tenets of my religion to be bastardized by someone, anyone, whether they be homosexual or polygamist or whatever, for the sole purpose of gaining a legal advantage. Even if the only advantage is equality in symantics. Likewise, a Christian would feel that no heterosexual couple who is joined by a justice of the peace and does not take an oath before God is truly married, but is joined in a civil union. Why do you have to call it marriage, even when a civil union provides the same legal opportunities? To be antagonistic, nothing else.
Marriage is not yours to take and give, nor is it dependent on your brand of monotheism.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 PM

530 posts, read 568,858 times
What I have never understood is hetero's fixation on gay's. Why do you care? If it doesn't personally effect you in any way....why do you care? I personally see people as humans. We are to be loving and accepting of all people. Isn't that what Jesus did ( those of you who want to use religion...get out your bibles and read). He took water from the ***** even when everyone else couldn'tt understand...and changed her life. So to be christian is to love and accept others no matter of the things you like and dislike about the way they live their lives. I am not personally gay, but to each their own and good luck. If you find love in this life, you are blessed regardless of whom that person may be!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,102,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Well if your question is why are you gay here goes

Since my childhood I have had attraction to members of the same sex. This became very apparent to me once I hit puberty and started fantasizing about boys. I'm gay because I believe I was born this way and there is nothing wrong with it. I also strongly believe it is genetic - a gay gene has already been discovered and manipulated in the animal kingdom. I'm happy being gay and don't see anything wrong with it. I have a great job and good family life and i'm well adjusted in society.

Why is sexuality the centre of your world

Well it truly is not! Most of us have jobs, family and TV addictions like everyone else. Being gay is about as big a part of me as being heterosexual is to you. If we do tend to be fixated it is because we as a group have grown up in a society that has never validated our sexuality from the get-go so yeah - there might be a bit of compensation going on and given what we've gone through - isn't it understandable to you
Thank you for your answer. You, in my opinion, are the example of the people I want to know, work with and be neighbors and friends with. I want our similarities to be more important than our differences.
As far as marriage goes, many countries in Europe require everyone to have a civil contract. They actually go to city hall and sign a contract. That is the legal marriage. Then they can get all dressed up, go to church and have a big party. I think if the US would adapt that, this whole issue would cease to exsist.. And to those who have religious problems, don't ever forget that there is nowhere in the bible that gives YOU the right to judge anyone. You can avoid if it makes you more comfortable, but you cannot judge or try to change others by anything more than your example.

Last edited by yukiko11; 06-05-2009 at 02:42 AM..

Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,708,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
Thank you for your answer. You, in my opinion, are the example of the people I want to know, work with and be neighbors and friends with. I want our similarities to be more important than our differences.
As far as marriage goes, many countries in Europe require everyone to have a civil contract. They actually go to city hall and sign a contract. That is the legal marriage. Then they can get all dressed up, go to church and have a big party. I think if the US would adapt that, this whole issue would cease to exsist.. And to those who have religious problems, don't ever forget that there is nowhere in the bible that gives YOU the right to judge anyone. You can avoid if it makes you more comfortable, but you cannot judge or try to change others by anything than your example.
Thanks much - the world is always better when people build bridges and not look for reasons to knock them down

I'm in Canada and can marry my bf if i choose

Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,102,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
I too began having feelings for the same gender at a very early age (7). Unfortunately, due to ZERO role models providing an example of healthy gays or lesbians, I completely suppressed these feelings to my own detriment, while trying to conform to the straight world throughout adolescence. This is what I find to be one of the most hurtful things that rarely is even touched upon in these forums or in the mainstream media as well. There are thousands of children in our country right now who have NOWHERE to turn with the feelings they have inside. The majority of our society has no issue at all flaunting heterosexuality, so where does this leave an 8 year old who has an innocent crush on someone of the same gender in school? In my opinion they are left out in the cold.

I personally do not identify myself as a lesbian through conversational announcement, I do however introduce my partner to new people as "my partner", and I carry myself in such a way that most catch on fairly quickly. This I find is my responsibility to all who I come in contact with, as being a minority, I feel a personal responsibility to offer a healthy example of gay living in an effort to provide what was so severely lacking in my childhood.

I also would like to mention how the freedoms that heterosexuals have far outweigh that of gays and lesbians, be it social freedom or legal. This too hurts all of our citizens by creating a rift where none should be. Regardless of your religion, race, creed, social status, or personal opinion, gays and lesbians are truly no different in terms of our emotional needs, health needs, or social needs. We too would like to say how much we love someone openly and share with friends and family the same milestones that heterosexuals already take advantage of.

Additionally as humans, especially Americans, we learn how to partake in healthy relationships through trial and error combined with input in most cases of friends and/or family. If a gay or lesbian is in an abusive relationship, but know one knows they are in a same sex relationship, who does that person turn to to get help? This is repeated over and over again in the gay and lesbian community; too many have had no role models to show them how to live healthy lives and healthy relationships. I dream of the day that this conversation is nothing more than nostalgic.

Thank you for taking the time to read my opinions and comment if desired.
Thank you for your honest reply. I have also suffered the pain and rejection of being different. For most of my life, I was overweight. This was due partly to my genetics and partly to my upbringing by parents raised during the depression who put great importance on an abundance of food. Although I have an IQ of 151 most people considered me to be stupid because I couldn't loose the weight. There was predjuice in the workplace as well. I was unable to demand the same salary as my co-workers even though my performance was far superior and when times got tough, I was always the last to be considered for lay off. I finally lost most of the weight to the delight of others. Is my life better? No because all of the years of starvation compromised my health..
People don't generally like what is different from them because it takes them out of their comfort zone. That is why I am trying to figure out how we can all have better understanding to make all our lives better.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 AM

1,779 posts, read 2,039,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
That is why I am trying to figure out how we can all have better understanding to make all our lives better.
We are a select bunch who try to figure out how we can live in harmony in any small form.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:15 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,911,247 times
The issue here at hand isn't about one leaving the other alone. This is something with two sides, and the facets of what gay people can and cannot do in their home are not the only thing in the balance. The real issue at hand here is what the outcome means for both sides more importantly what losses are spelled out for each side. the losses and gains for both sides of this are apples and oranges.

I have come to the conclusion that much of the anti gay movement comes from the fear of an already shrinking religious influence. There are in the anti-gay side some valid arguments that deserve discussion. Unfortunately whatever validity these arguments have is usually lost in the emotional swirling of this fear of religion taking one more step into obsolescence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or