U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:09 PM
 
1,779 posts, read 2,038,927 times
Reputation: 616

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
I think gay and lesbian should have the right to marry one another if they wanted to. I don't understand why any religion would be against love for any reason.
exactly most Homosexuals are more loving and caring than most people.

What is so wrong with Homosexual relationships other than that it is supposedly a "sin"?

Oh, and why hasnt god destroyed San Fransisco or Amsterdam, or any other place that has legalized the rights of homosexuals and allowed them to marry?

 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Mississauga
1,575 posts, read 1,708,295 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
I think gay and lesbian should have the right to marry one another if they wanted to. I don't understand why any religion would be against love for any reason.
I can understand why people would think homosexuality is a sin if the book they believe in as the word of god indicates it is a sin. The problem I have with these people is that they are very selective with their interpretation.. I always make the argument that if we were to have a theocratical society based on biblical principles, it would simply cease to function due to population revolt. This is why I will never accept the argument that the bible should be the arbiter of societal law. There are way too many incosistencies, contradictions for it to be taken literally or for that matter even as a figurative guide.

Even if you think homosexuality is a sin, revolting and discusting and that homosexuals are going to hell, you should still advocate equal rights because religion should always be only used for personal application not societal application. All of the people who start throwing in religious connections as to why homosexuals should be denied rights - none of them in these forums have been able to tackle this square on - none -
 
Old 06-08-2009, 06:52 PM
 
342 posts, read 582,845 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
So you want special rights?
No, I want distinction. Just like when I had my child I wanted to give them a name that would make it easy to distiguise what sex she was. Or should we call all the children the same thing so they won't be decriminated against. I don't want special rights I just want different terms for different situations
 
Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM
 
342 posts, read 582,845 times
Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
They do not want the term they want the rights that are given to a married couple.
I disagree, they have the rights in my state, but they still want the term. Like I said I'm fine with the rights.
 
Old 06-08-2009, 07:06 PM
 
1,779 posts, read 2,038,927 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
I disagree, they have the rights in my state, but they still want the term. Like I said I'm fine with the rights.
Who cares what they want to call it. The fact remains they will not stop until they get equal rights. Just because you would like to call it something different will not cause them to go away. We have alot of words that have different meanings some have similar meanings and some have very different meanings.
 
Old 06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Mississauga
1,575 posts, read 1,708,295 times
Reputation: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
I disagree, they have the rights in my state, but they still want the term. Like I said I'm fine with the rights.
I don't understand what is rooted in the need for you to have to seperate terms... plus there is no way to guarantee equal rights without an equal term.
 
Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 AM
 
1,779 posts, read 2,038,927 times
Reputation: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I don't understand what is rooted in the need for you to have to seperate terms... plus there is no way to guarantee equal rights without an equal term.
Until a homosexual is deemed by the world to not be human we are forced to offer them the three most basic human rights which are, Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Until you deem them another species you have to allow them to obtain these things...Guess what, nobody has a right to say what the defenition of these terms mean to an individual.

life - It is their lifestyle there for it is their life

Liberty - personal freedom from servitude or confinement or oppression, by denying someone egual rights you take this away

Pursuit of Happiness - What bring a person joy, Who has the right to define what makes another person happy?
 
Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 AM
 
1,718 posts, read 1,991,416 times
Reputation: 613
Yup, I've seen this question posted before and I've posted the following before:

The reason the OP is not getting an answer as to who is being hurt by the fact that there are gay people around is that no one is being hurt by the fact that there are gay people around.

For example, if a gay couple lived next door but you didn't know about it, it would not affect your life in any way. Some people in the neighborhood may have a big problem with it but only once they found out about it.

So, the ONLY thing they don't like is the idea of it. That's it!

- Reel
 
Old 10-12-2011, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Chicago
1,312 posts, read 1,528,711 times
Reputation: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Well to answer the question in the subject of your post...because you can't leave us alone, be that by gay pride parades, protests, or even your post here. No one asked you to post this...you did because you can't leave the issue alone yourself...
Consider what homosexuals feel like and being completely repulsed by the idea of men, let alone they, *edit* themselves, having intercourse, feeling, groping, kissing, snuggling, etc. with women on television, radio, print, internet, general every day-to-day life. Whether being homosexual is natural, abnormal, or a complete and total travesty that makes any deity weep (for varying reasons) is not relevant due to the fact that this is America. People are allowed to be who they want to be.

By the way, the last St. Patrick's Day parade you protested/boycotted was when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Your comparisons are like comparing apples to oranges.
I believe the most accurate way to phrase that is: "Your comparisons are like comparing apples to fruits."

If that's not the case then are you saying that homosexuals are not humans? Apples are fruits. Oranges are fruits. Can you name how many fruits there are in the world? Can you name all the ethnicities in the world?

I can't. The interwebs might have the exact answers. But I'm not looking. That's not the point. Fruits like people share common ground in the fact that they want to live. Different places produce different fruits. An orange is totally different from a banana is totally different from an apple is totally different from a cherry. But everyone of those are fruits, correct?

On a biological level, apples, oranges and humans operate on a fairly level playing field. Part of the five kingdoms type of deal. So drawing a comparison between apples and oranges is a far more favorable comparison than one that uses a kite versus a filling cabinet metaphor.

This phrase should also be used to compare things that are so similar, but yet so different. Politics comes to mind. Apples and Oranges? Democrats and Republicans? So different, but so similar.

But where are the homosexuals?

For people like you (sorry if I am assuming, and if I am, I apologize beforehand, and I will afterward) who think of homosexuals as an "Apples to Oranges" kind of situation then what about tomatoes?

Where do they stand in this debate? Are they fruits? Or are they vegetables? They certainly seem like fruits by all biological standards, but they LOOK LIKE vegetables. Should tomatoes get the destinction of being a fruit because they most resemble one? Or do they more closely resemble a vegetable, and that's the deciding factor?

But in America, of all the places that are the "Most Freest", the people are so divided about whether tomatoes are something that deserve the basic rights that plants need no matter where in the world they are located.
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,235 posts, read 23,780,887 times
Reputation: 19877
How about I think the whole entire concept of marriage is a big farce. So big deal. a minister or judge declares you married, big deal...it is still just another man, not a greater force in life, that says I now pronounce you.....

we have such dumb ideals (?) that have been instilled in us since the beginning of time. maybe what we have been doing all along is not such a great idea after all.....

why cant two people of the same sex marry?, what is so wrong with that...just because a billion years ago someone said only a man and woman can get married....we cant change things.....oh please.....our rules or what ever you want to call them are so old and antequated, they need so much updating it isnt even funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top