Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,828 times

Advertisements

People always ask on this forum why do gay people flaunt that they are gay? (FYI not all gays do this)

Why do skateboarders bring their skateboards everywhere? Why do they always wear skate shoes? Who do rich California girls all wear pink and have purse dogs? Why does someone who loves rap wear baggy clothes? Why do business men always wear suits? Why do people wear affliction and Ed Hardy? Why do people wear gap clothing? Why do people who like country music blast it in their trucks?

Its a simple thing...its their lifestyle. Its the thing that makes you who you are in your eyes. You could care less what others think of you, cause your happy and nobody else should be concerned with what makes you happy, unless it is hurting someone. Not only is it their lifestyle but you have to realize that if you are always seeing it, you are probably looking for it. Think about it...if you are highly political you will see politics everywhere. If you are into shoes...you will see them everywhere.

This brings me to the real question...

Are gay people hurting anyone? And don't give me that junk about them hurting the value of marriage. I am talking about a single gay person. Individually how does one gay person hurt anyone else by simply being gay?

Now put two gay people together in a marriage? How does this hurt anyone?

That is a question I have asked several times and no one can answer?

Last edited by fractured_kidult; 06-02-2009 at 12:27 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,296 times
Well to answer the question in the subject of your post...because you can't leave us alone, be that by gay pride parades, protests, or even your post here. No one asked you to post this...you did because you can't leave the issue alone yourself.

Your comparisons are like comparing apples to oranges. Skateboarders bring their boards everywhere so they can (guess what) skateboard! They wear skate shoes because that's what someone wears when they skateboard, just like golfers wear golf shoes and bowlers wear bowling shoes. It's part of the activity, whereas wearing fishnet shirts and man-thongs and going out of your way to be sexually explicit in public is not part of being gay. It's part of pushing an agenda or your beliefs onto other people who are not interested in either participating or even so much as thinking about the issue at the time. When is the last time you saw a heterosexual pride parade with heteros dressed in that manner and having open heterosexual sex on Main Street? Never, that's when. It would be considered bigotry. That's why many people have problems with gays flaunting their homosexuality in such manners. It's not necessary, it's not making a statement, and it only happens to be antagonistic...just like your post.

As for calling it marriage, that goes down (pun intended) to religion. The word marriage does not refer to a legal standing or bond...it refers to one of the seven holy sacraments of Christianity, and is explicitly defined as between 1 man and 1 woman. If I am a Christian, I do not want one of the tenets of my religion to be bastardized by someone, anyone, whether they be homosexual or polygamist or whatever, for the sole purpose of gaining a legal advantage. Even if the only advantage is equality in symantics. Likewise, a Christian would feel that no heterosexual couple who is joined by a justice of the peace and does not take an oath before God is truly married, but is joined in a civil union. Why do you have to call it marriage, even when a civil union provides the same legal opportunities? To be antagonistic, nothing else.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Well to answer the question in the subject of your post...because you can't leave us alone, be that by gay pride parades, protests, or even your post here. No one asked you to post this...you did because you can't leave the issue alone yourself.
First off, Im not gay. Second, I only posted this so that I could get an honest clear headed answer, which I am still waiting for. And actually, If people would just leave gay people alone, this post wouldnt be here.

Quote:
Your comparisons are like comparing apples to oranges. Skateboarders bring their boards everywhere so they can (guess what) skateboard! They wear skate shoes because that's what someone wears when they skateboard, just like golfers wear golf shoes and bowlers wear bowling shoes. It's part of the activity, whereas wearing fishnet shirts and man-thongs and going out of your way to be sexually explicit in public is not part of being gay. It's part of pushing an agenda or your beliefs onto other people who are not interested in either participating or even so much as thinking about the issue at the time.
I hope you dont own any shirts that have sayings or have any meaning...cause then you would be a hypocrite.

See, I could say the same thing about people who have fancy cars or clothes. I think if you have to flash your money/religion/political views around your pushing agenda.

Pushing an agenda on someone else...like making it wrong to be who you want to be, even...wait for it...GAY. I am going to assume that you are a Conservative, I think they push an agenda of fearing change. They dont like change, change is bad...unless it makes them money.

Quote:
When is the last time you saw a heterosexual pride parade with heteros dressed in that manner and having open heterosexual sex on Main Street? Never, that's when. It would be considered bigotry. That's why many people have problems with gays flaunting their homosexuality in such manners. It's not necessary, it's not making a statement, and it only happens to be antagonistic...just like your post.
Really...what would you call madri gras? And in regards to the gay parade...I have never seen sexual acts during a gay pride parade. A thought comes to mind...how do you know so much unless you went to one? Let me guess, you were protesting it. And their parade isnt antagonistic, its called freedom of speech. People have religious parades...political parades...and simple a parade just to have a parade...so, to you they have to be antagonistic.

Quote:
Likewise, a Christian would feel that no heterosexual couple who is joined by a justice of the peace and does not take an oath before God is truly married, but is joined in a civil union. Why do you have to call it marriage, even when a civil union provides the same legal opportunities? To be antagonistic, nothing else.
Who cares what it is called. BTW I am a christian, and my church doesn't turn ANYONE away. Also, only extreme religious freaks would not accept a couple joined by the justice of the peace.

And my question still goes unanswered...How does the daily life of a gay person affect your daily life? How is it hurting anyone?

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Default I am somebody

Originally Posted by fracturedman
Quote:
People always ask on this forum why do gay people flaunt that they are gay? (FYI not all gays do this)
Because they like James Brown songs and like the black people in the '50's they are somebody.
I guess like the black Americans are proud to be black, gay people are proud to be a homosexual even when the majority looks down upon them.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:28 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
People always ask on this forum why do gay people flaunt that they are gay? (FYI not all gays do this)Why do skateboarders bring their skateboards everywhere? Why do they always wear skate shoes? Who do rich California girls all wear pink and have purse dogs? Why does someone who loves rap wear baggy clothes? Why do business men always wear suits? Why do people wear affliction and Ed Hardy? Why do people wear gap clothing? Why do people who like country music blast it in their trucks?Its a simple thing...its their lifestyle. Its the thing that makes you who you are in your eyes. You could care less what others think of you, cause your happy and nobody else should be concerned with what makes you happy, unless it is hurting someone. Not only is it their lifestyle but you have to realize that if you are always seeing it, you are probably looking for it. Think about it...if you are highly political you will see politics everywhere. If you are into shoes...you will see them everywhere.This brings me to the real question...Are gay people hurting anyone? And don't give me that junk about them hurting the value of marriage. I am talking about a single gay person. Individually how does one gay person hurt anyone else by simply being gay?Now put two gay people together in a marriage? How does this hurt anyone?That is a question I have asked several times and no one can answer?
Good post but you do realize this post is going to spark a lot of controversy, right? The answer to the first part of your post is simple..people need to mind their own business. That sounds short and abrupt but is so true. What do any of us care if that rapper dude is walking down the street with his drawers hanging off his butt, hat cocked sideways with Grandpa Henry's huge shirt on?? Who is he hurting?? Do you know him?? Has he done something to you to make you dislike him? OH...it is his clothes??? Hmmmmmmmm Big issue, huh??? So, everyone needs to dress exactly alike so that we are all happy and no one has anything to be critical about. Now how boring would the world be and how ridiculous would I as a 61 year old, short, round woman look in those big baggy pants? First of all, I have short legs so they would be PALATZZO pants on me..LOL. Second of all, a huge shirt would drag on the ground..nice.

The gay thing? I do think there are two kinds of gays. There are those who flaunt their "GAYDOM" in our straight faces and scream "UNFAIR" constantly when it comes to wanting to live exactly as straight couples do. You chose this life and it will never be the same as a straight couple's so deal.... We as straight couples deal with a lot of issues as well and don't get the "Press" gay couples do.

The second gay type are those who live a quiet life content to be who they are without having to toss it in anyone's face. I have several gay female friends who have been my friends for at least 20 years. One couple has actually been raising two children and doing a great job of it. We never discuss equal rights, don't care what the other wears and they visit our straight home and socialize with no fuss or complaining.

Are gays hurting the value of marriage..of course they are and I am going to catch hell for that one. Gays marrying has turned the whole idea of marriage upside down and you can't tell me that it hasn't. If it is not so, then why all the upset over it? When things are working as they should in life, life goes on without a hitch and everyone is happy. When life experiences a glitch and a big one like same sex marriage of course people are going to be upset. The whole secret to enduring the controversy over this is to live you life as you see fit...no one has to like what you are doing and for that matter I don't expect anyone to like what I do either and don't care who does or doesn't approve.

I do feel, however, that it is time for us as Americans to concentrate on the more important issues at hand like the economy and people out of work, losing homes, living in cars, living in the street. Banks are closing, businesses are failing and we are here battling over same sex marriage. Somehow it just doesn't seem balanced and needs to be fixed. In words you have heard a thousand times over..."Why can't we all just get along" and perhaps all of our issues could be resolved.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:40 AM

261 posts, read 944,036 times
Angry WHOA! Let me take the blinders off!

Quote:
Quote:

Your comparisons are like comparing apples to oranges. Skateboarders bring their boards everywhere so they can (guess what) skateboard! They wear skate shoes because that's what someone wears when they skateboard, just like golfers wear golf shoes and bowlers wear bowling shoes. It's part of the activity, whereas wearing fishnet shirts and man-thongs and going out of your way to be sexually explicit in public is not part of being gay. It's part of pushing an agenda or your beliefs onto other people who are not interested in either participating or even so much as thinking about the issue at the time. When is the last time you saw a heterosexual pride parade with heteros dressed in that manner and having open heterosexual sex on Main Street? Oops! Did you forget Mardi Gras? Never, that's when. It would be considered bigotry. That's why many people have problems with gays flaunting their homosexuality in such manners. It's not necessary, it's not making a statement, and it only happens to be antagonistic...just like your post. HHmm? What is it called when men do cat calls to a woman crossing the street? Are they too not flaunting their male testosterone driven sexual impulses in public, and frankly not the only example that comes to mind of heterosexual male penetration of their heterosexuality in public. Pun intended

As for calling it marriage, that goes down (pun intended) to religion. The word marriage does not refer to a legal standing or bond...it refers to one of the seven holy sacraments of Christianity, and is explicitly defined as between 1 man and 1 woman. If I am a Christian, I do not want one of the tenets of my religion to be bastardized Again, you must have a major memory loss issue, do you think Catholic Priests molesting children is not the epitome of bastardizing YOUR religion. by someone, anyone, whether they be homosexual or polygamist or whatever, for the sole purpose of gaining a legal advantage. Even if the only advantage is equality in symantics. Likewise, a Christian would feel that no heterosexual couple who is joined by a justice of the peace and does not take an oath before God is truly married, but is joined in a civil union. Why do you have to call it marriage, even when a civil union provides the same legal opportunities? To be antagonistic, nothing else.

Why are YOU so personally affected by the word marriage, I thought the god you follow says that it is he who you must have faith in, not man. So, your obsession over the word marriage is no more than a distraction and useless attempt to stand up against a force that has no fight with you or your god. Our fight is against the tyranny of religious zealots, maybe you, who feel an overwhelming sense of ownership to specific words in the English language and subsequent politically driven decisions made by some but forced on all.

Your beliefs as well, of the overall presence of gays are so disturbingly misguided, it is sad. If I were to take your same rationale of why homosexuals should not marry and apply them to heterosexual christians, I would have to list pages and pages worth of serial rapists, serial killers, serial child molesters, war instigators, land thieves, oppressors of the poor, a divorce rate above 50%, and an over bloated sense of self worth that seems bent on forcefully making all others globally obey YOUR tenants. Which of course change with the wind, the times, or each ones personal convenience.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 AM

261 posts, read 944,036 times
Angry Wtf!!

[quote=Connecticut Pam;9094202]Are gays hurting the value of marriage..of course they are and I am going to catch hell for that one. Gays marrying has turned the whole idea of marriage upside down and you can't tell me that it hasn't. =quote]

Gays have turned marriage upside down? Are you serious? You heterosexuals have done a darn good job on your own, having the right to do so, in turning marriage into a farce of reality. Heterosexuals get married in Vegas and divorced hours later. Heterosexuals get married, have 8 kids, have affairs, then get divorced. Heterosexuals marry 5 wives, have 18 children, then get divorced. Heterosexuals order a spouse from overseas, get married, have miserable lives, then get divorced. HHmmm? But, according to you homosexuals are ruining marriage. Frankly, I think heterosexuals are afraid homosexuals may do a better job at marriage than heterosexuals have. Ever heard of glass houses and stones?

Last edited by QwertyFarmer; 06-02-2009 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: quote not visible

Old 06-02-2009, 06:49 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
...it refers to one of the seven holy sacraments of Christianity, and is explicitly defined as between 1 man and 1 woman. If I am a Christian, I do not want one of the tenets of my religion to be bastardized by someone, anyone, whether they be homosexual or polygamist or whatever, for the sole purpose of gaining a legal advantage. Even if the only advantage is equality in symantics. Likewise, a Christian would feel that no heterosexual couple who is joined by a justice of the peace and does not take an oath before God is truly married, but is joined in a civil union. Why do you have to call it marriage, even when a civil union provides the same legal opportunities? To be antagonistic, nothing else.
Wait what?! Since when did Christianity claim marriage solely as their own?

Cause I am pretty sure marriage and the concept behind it was around WELL before Christianity.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:14 AM

And so that there is no question About it. I have found over 12 different threads on this site alone that OP are meant to do nothing but bash the gay community. And maybe 3 that support it.

You also have to realize that the gay people that flaunt their stuff all about, do not make up a majority of the community. less then half is about right. But you cant judge a whole community by the actions of a few.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I leave them alone because they leave me alone. I'd probably leave them alone even if they didn't. After all, I even leave Christians alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates