Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:14 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

I don't really care as long as we are all free to think and believe as we wish, and as long as nobody is trying to ram something down my throat or 'convert' me. Live and let live.

Then again, I'm great at ignoring people. Just nod my head and smile--seriously, I don't even really hear what they are saying once I turn them off. I'm a million miles away. I've come to appreciate that rather head-in-the-clouds ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:18 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I'm 26 and friends with a lot of god lovers like myself and I have never heard anyone tell me how they were born again unless I asked. Just my two pennies
Ever been down south in the Bible belt?

Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Ever been down south in the Bible belt?
Just to Louisiana, Texas, Florida, Cali.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
That's a great line in the movie departed: "I did well in school also, they call that a paradox" - Jack Nicholas

Isn't every school basically liberal? just like every business class is republican?
Actually, I was exactly thinking of Frank Costello when I typed that. Love that character

What's dangerous about the liberal school is that I don't really think it's a good idea to put a child in any school of thought and mould his/her way of thinking by external influence.

As the child grows, he picks his ideology by "himself" and the school plays no part in there. What the child "learns" does.

This is how I found my ideology and all of us did, until NOW.

For example, in today's biology classes, there are teachers who promote homosexuality as a sub-set of biology, there are plenty of them. And this is just plain wrong.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
I'm 26 and friends with a lot of god lovers like myself and I have never heard anyone tell me how they were born again unless I asked. Just my two pennies
You should get down south to the Bible Belt.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,473 times
I prefer a mix of people, but I have no problem with people looking for conservative areas, liberal areas, "diverse areas" or anything else.

(whatever these terms mean. I mean, honestly, people use "liberal/conservative"around here like there's a set definition of what one should think. What about a pro-choice conservative? What about a pro-death penalty liberal? What about a social liberal and fiscal conservative?Most people do not fall into the 100% liberal or 100% conservative category. Thankfully, most people--at least I hope--consider each issue on its own merit)

Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,349 times
Quote:
Why are liberals so concerned with living around their own kind? I have noticed probably 300 threads that read "Looking for Nice Liberal Area".

Now liberals claim to be all about diversity but how come they don't want to live in a diverse area when it comes to politics? Maybe conservatives just have no choice since every city in America is majority liberal so I guess we just get used to it and deal with it. I live in a gay/liberal area and I'm a very conservative person, and religious as well. I have no problem being the only conservative within 5miles. I have a gay neighbor and were great friends I just don't see the big deal with living around like minded political families.
I have lived in both areas. I prefer a more liberal area. It is not just an attitude towards other people, it is an attitude towards getting problems as in roads and such solved.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:59 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
Quote:
Why are liberals so concerned with living around their own kind? I have noticed probably 300 threads that read "Looking for Nice Liberal Area".

Now liberals claim to be all about diversity but how come they don't want to live in a diverse area when it comes to politics? Maybe conservatives just have no choice since every city in America is majority liberal so I guess we just get used to it and deal with it. I live in a gay/liberal area and I'm a very conservative person, and religious as well. I have no problem being the only conservative within 5miles. I have a gay neighbor and were great friends I just don't see the big deal with living around like minded political families.
Diversity as far as race, culture, lifestyle, etc goes. Not politics. That's just asking for conflict in my opinion.

You probably don't realize it, but you're only one of the small number of conservatives who value diversity. The majority of conservatives are opposed to diversity and multi-culturalism. They have a narrow-minded view of what "American" is (meaning they reject the term melting pot when it's convenient). They also feel that every group of people should follow their "morals" (ie. no to homosexuality, sex before marriage, etc.). Favoring diversity, multi-culturalism, and alternative lifestyles is considered a liberal position. So basically, the people in support of those things are usually liberals.

P.S. By "they", I mean the majority of conservatives. Not all of them.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:04 PM

305 posts, read 539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Actually, I was exactly thinking of Frank Costello when I typed that. Love that character

What's dangerous about the liberal school is that I don't really think it's a good idea to put a child in any school of thought and mould his/her way of thinking by external influence.

As the child grows, he picks his ideology by "himself" and the school plays no part in there. What the child "learns" does.

This is how I found my ideology and all of us did, until NOW.

For example, in today's biology classes, there are teachers who promote homosexuality as a sub-set of biology, there are plenty of them. And this is just plain wrong.

The schools aren't as liberal as you think.

What would you think about a home-schooled child or one who is educated at a private school with a strong conservative bias who was exposed to nothing but right-wing ideologies? How are they going to find "their" ideologies?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:32 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoughton View Post
The schools aren't as liberal as you think.

What would you think about a home-schooled child or one who is educated at a private school with a strong conservative bias who was exposed to nothing but right-wing ideologies? How are they going to find "their" ideologies?
First, I don't think one has to 'find' his/her ideology within the ivory towers of any established party. It may take a week, it may take a month, it may take 20 years, but think about it on your own. YOU decide what YOU stand for. Once you've decided, look at what's out there. If there's a match, go for it. If not, don't bend over and drop your pants. Follow your OWN beliefs.

As for children, hopefully, by the time the child is old enough to do things on his/her own, he/she is also able to form cohesive thoughts for himself/herself. A normal person can be exposed to ideas and ideologies without becoming ‘enslaved’ to them. Perhaps a lemming can’t, but any reasonably intelligent person can. One can hear the swill gushing from both the conservatives and the liberals without marching lockstep down either path. If some point from the liberals or conservatives is appealing, go with it; if not, don’t. It’s not an all-or-nothing proposition. And kids can and do think for themselves. If that were not the case, nothing would have changed from the beginning of mankind until now.

I think some of you grant way to much weight to ‘parents indoctrinating their kids.’ We all know that parents are certainly an influence, but unless they are using some sort of brainwash/torture technique, kids absorb the info, digest it, and then decide for themselves. Personally, I share very little political/moral ideology with my parents. I played by their rules when I was growing up and then decided for myself after that. I think that’s what a functional person typically does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates