Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times

Advertisements

Then THEY were not your friends to begin with.

I could see that if you were an extremist. Thus far, I do not believe that I have come across that level of extremism in any of your posts.

It is possible to go to extreme in the left that they sleep in the arms of the extreme right.

Last edited by Pandamonium; 06-02-2009 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: They not WE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why are liberals so concerned with living around their own kind? I have noticed probably 300 threads that read "Looking for Nice Liberal Area"....
In my post above I mentioned that I live in one of the brightest red counties of one of the brightest red states (Wyoming). We get tons of inquiries on the Wyoming board from conservatives wanting to move to a conservative area. They're tired of fighting the liberals where they currently live. Many seem to be "way-out-there". I'd think they'd have to be to consider moving because of political beliefs.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I could see moving b/c of taxes going up or crime getting out of hand due to either conservative policies or liberal polices that have cause the effect but if you live where I live 100% liberal and very little problems then who cares. I'm with ya man.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 PM

305 posts, read 539,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I think some of you grant way to much weight to ‘parents indoctrinating their kids.’ We all know that parents are certainly an influence, but unless they are using some sort of brainwash/torture technique, kids absorb the info, digest it, and then decide for themselves. Personally, I share very little political/moral ideology with my parents. I played by their rules when I was growing up and then decided for myself after that. I think that’s what a functional person typically does.

Likewise, many of not most of you of the conservative persuasion grant way too much weight to the "indoctrination of the liberal agenda at the public schools". Like Chris has explained quite eloquently in his post about the limits of parent influence, the schools only have so much influence to bear given all of the other potential influences.

And this liberal will also admit that the same is true about students of conservative backgrounds who are homeschooled or attend private schools to "avoid" liberal influences.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:08 PM

To go back to your original question: What I want in a community is for it to be walkable, with bike paths and recreational opportunities like a community pool and fitness center, a nice variety of restaurants, farmers' market, coffeeshops, a smoke-free place to drink good microbrews, good bookstores, a variety of shopping outlets for reasonably priced quality items, and most of all, acceptance of others who haven't lived in this community all of their lives.

For whatever reasons, these tend to be in more liberal communities. If I could find a conservative community that would be one of this type I'd probably be very comfortable there.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoughton View Post

For whatever reasons, these tend to be in more liberal communities. If I could find a conservative community that would be one of this type I'd probably be very comfortable there.
You see this is where I have to disagree, like I said earlier it might be just b/c I'm up north in Milwaukee but we have a lot of small towns/suburbs that have all that and are conservative as well. Cities have always been more liberal than conservative and small towns/suburbs are usually more conservative as well.

That's why I like Milwaukee b/c it's more of a mix than let's say an austin tx or madison wi or rural Texas.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You see this is where I have to disagree, like I said earlier it might be just b/c I'm up north in Milwaukee but we have a lot of small towns/suburbs that have all that and are conservative as well. Cities have always been more liberal than conservative and small towns/suburbs are usually more conservative as well.

That's why I like Milwaukee b/c it's more of a mix than let's say an austin tx or madison wi or rural Texas.

I live within 3 hours of Milwaukee. Where??? (I'm looking for possible places to retire....FYI I live in Dubuque)

And I do really enjoy Milwaukee. Especially the east side.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:50 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoughton View Post
To go back to your original question: What I want in a community is for it to be walkable, with bike paths and recreational opportunities like a community pool and fitness center, a nice variety of restaurants, farmers' market, coffeeshops, a smoke-free place to drink good microbrews, good bookstores, a variety of shopping outlets for reasonably priced quality items, and most of all, acceptance of others who haven't lived in this community all of their lives.

The shopping variety, including good bookstores, is a bit limited, but other than that, it seems you're describing my community. Ahhhhh, the one I just mentioned in which Obama stole 18% of our votes in the general election. I still can't figure how he got that many.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
They're tired of fighting the liberals where they currently live.:
Why don't they just stay where they are and stop fighting, instead of going someplace else to stop fighting?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
As a retired transplant from liberal Seattle to a rural, more laid back, but also more conservative part of Northern California (yes, Cali has those), I didn't intentionally seek a liberal place, although I can still sympathize with those who do.

It seems as though conservatives sort of 'assume' that everybody else is just like them (or ought to be), so they often have a tendency to tell jokes, send emails, bumperstickers and the like that take for granted everybody hates Obama, liberals, gays, blacks, aetheists, gun control, whatever. Liberals may have their own share of "prejudices", but they generally have enough courtesy (and common sense) not to go out of their way with obviously inflammatory material, especially in an unknown or mixed audience.

That just never seems to occur to most of the conservatives I've seen here. Worse, even when it's gently pointed out that something might be obviously offensive, they get kinda cranky about it and still behave like they're "entitled".

Last edited by mateo45; 06-10-2009 at 01:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates