U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:16 PM

12,816 posts, read 8,957,978 times

Advertisements

Depends on if they speak English or not. I see a group of Latinos who don't speak or understand English, I immediately think illegal. If they speak English I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 08:44 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,445,541 times
What Do You see When You Look At A Hispanic Family?
I see a family.

Anything more or less is probably wrong.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 PM

8,972 posts, read 10,618,560 times
If I look at a Hispanic family very long, they begin to look at me. At that point, I realize I've been staring, and I turn away. So when I look at ANY family more than just briefly, I mostly feel embarrassment, because staring is rude. Besides, I can't tell immediately whether someone is Hispanic or not.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 PM

2,297 posts, read 4,021,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
I don't see color anymore...no I'm not color blind. but all I see is a family, unless they are waiving a gun around I could care less. They seem more family oriented then most White Americans...actually every race is more family oriented then white families...and I am white.
Ok, this comment really pi$$es me off. It's ok to dis the white family (oh, excuse me because you are white it makes it ok, whatever) We are a white family and very family oriented as well as all my white friends who have families. Guess you are hanging out with the wrong white crowds.

As to the op, if they are acting decent, who cares. I don't give anyone much thought when we are out unless they are acting like fools, regardless of what color/ethnicity they are.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,217,447 times
Retired in Mexico I see how the families are. Know a married person with kids that lives in a house with his brothers family, wife and kids...they share a big house and the sisters in law do the cooking and cleaning etc as any household would do. They get along fine. Economically the brothers work together in construction so all benifit from there endeavors. Everyone does their share in the vast household.

Same could be said for the Italians...who are also family oriented.

As to the OP question...we don't stare at them ...only see a large group of people that are close knit...mainly family oriented.

Steve

Old 06-05-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Retired in Mexico I see how the families are. Know a married person with kids that lives in a house with his brothers family, wife and kids...they share a big house and the sisters in law do the cooking and cleaning etc as any household would do. They get along fine. Economically the brothers work together in construction so all benifit from there endeavors. Everyone does their share in the vast household.

Same could be said for the Italians...who are also family oriented.

As to the OP question...we don't stare at them ...only see a large group of people that are close knit...mainly family oriented.

Steve
So, Hispanics and Italians are family oriented because they live with their whole extended family, but white people aren't because we live with our immediate family?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM

7,914 posts, read 7,744,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I usually see people with dark hair and eyes.

And a lot of times, the dad is wearing a cowboy hat.
I think I like your response the best.

Most of the time I don't have any thoughts beyond that. In fact, often I bike through these parks that are popular social gatherings for Hispanic families. They bbq, play volleyball, and truly enjoy each other. I enjoy watching them because this simplicity is not very prevalent in American culture. (I will admit that I have noticed more "white" families doing this sort of thing since the economy soured.)

On the other side of the coin, I get very angry whenever I look at mug shots and read police blotters in our local papers, because Hispanics are always in the majority for crime.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
So, Hispanics and Italians are family oriented because they live with their whole extended family, but white people aren't because we live with our immediate family?

Ok, while I was cooking dinner I was thinking about this and actually answered my own question with my own statement. I see what you are saying now, Italians and Hispanics are more family oriented because they are way more involved in their whole family (extended) whereas white people are family oriented but it's more so directed towards their immediate family, correct?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:50 PM

14,388 posts, read 12,164,879 times
When I see a Hispanic family, I often wish I spoke better Spanish so that I could greet them properly.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 PM

88 posts, read 213,075 times
Default First and foremost they are unlawful

first and foremost you are forgetting the number one point, they are unlawful illegial people who ARE BREAKING THE LAW. They need to turn themselves into the local immagration office and seek LEGAL STATUS HERE . Until you do that you DONT BELONG HERE. The number one reason besides big gov. overspending here in california and the reason we are broke is because of all the FREE SERVICES THE ILLEGALS GET WITH MY TAX PAYER MONEY. So someone who is here legally and really needs help from a government agency cant get it or doesnt get enough because of the illegals.

UNBELIEVABLE REALLY AND TRULY UNBELIEVABLE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates