U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:32 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,077,271 times

Advertisements

SB you just described A LOT of big cities in the US> it is no suprise that your experience is from MX DF.

it is completely different in the smaller towns and farms i have travelled thru in MX> its the difference between des moines and perry iowa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Nice little story of the man helping his family by working Illegally in the US.

Answer this. Why do the people in Mexico have security bars around the windows?
Why is it necessary to lock the outside gate with a key and chain/padlock when you already have two dogs in the yard for security?
Why is it necessary to lock your car no matter where you park in Mexico no matter if only for 5 mins?.
Why is it necessary to lock up any tools and the like and not leave them out in your front yard etc?.
Why is it necessary for a store to have so many security men (in uniform/no guns) in the pkg lot or at the store entrance?
Why is it necessary for a store that only sells childrens toy to have a security guard at the door?
Why is it necessary for a bank to have security guards around the outside and on the roof of a a bldg across the street when they do not have any bullets for the rifles?
Why is it necessary for a store that sells flashlight batteries to have them locked up behind the counter when in the US they are sold out in the open?

Ok I have said enough already.

The answer to all of the above is " THEY STEAL STEAL STEAL "

People in Mexico who steal on a level of petty theft etc (US definition) are never prosecuted or put in jail consequently these same people that cross into the US Illegally have the same mentality. If it is left out in the open it's fair game and theirs to take and keep.

I saw all of the above in Mexico City in the three yrs I lived there.

If everyone was put into jail for stealing then over half of the country would be behind bars. I have said that many times and will continue to say the same thing in the future.

I'm not prejudiced against Mexico as I've lived here in Baja 13 yrs and love the country. The problem is with some of the people and their thinking process. They have NO problem with bending or breaking a law if it suits their needs.

Bound to get some flak...if the truth hurts...so be it...if the shoe fits some then let them wear it.

I am not going to sugar coat Mexico or the US for that matter. Both countries have their faults...good and bad.

From what I've read here many are making everything about the Hispanics as being Rosey in the descriptions...sure there are many real nice ones ...I'm referring to all those that break our US laws in their ventures to support the family back home.

Breaking a Law should not be condoned in their own country or in the US.

So...by your own admission...you lock your door when leaving your apt for a time period. Guess you don't trust your neighbors or others for that matter.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 01:36 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,077,271 times
i see a family like any other one.

i, thank allah, dont go around fretting over whether someone is illegal or not.

thats a sad way to live. its a paranoid life. one of fear.

i look at people as my equal...

Old 06-09-2009, 08:08 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,972,121 times
I need to do a little clarifying of my opinions on the post.

Everything posted was as I saw and NOT read about in the paper or on TV.

The padlock and chain and two dogs was my Mexican wifes idea...reason? people steal here.

The bank robbery?...I was having breakfast at a Wolworths (name familiar?) when the sirens and police cars converged on the bank across the street from me...looked out the window and saw the comotion. The English language paper "The NEWS" reported the lady cop with NO ammo for her rifle and therefore could not shoot at the robbers.

As to the toy store security...I was looking for a collectable toy car that was being sold at the stores around town...thus visited many stores with security guards at the door.

Ok...was talking a large city like Mexico City where there is bound to be more crime.

Lets go to a smaller city...Rosarito, Baja, a few miles north of where I live.

Auto parts store (more then one) all have a security guard.

So do the banks in town.

So do the Large Grocery chain stores.

A neighbor (tony) had his car stolen from the Mkt parking lot while he was inside. Some months later it was found in TJ being used as a taxi...stripes...decals and all.

Batteries being locked up (home Depot in Rosarito).

Closer to my home as to the STEALING.
Five lots over the house under construction was entered thru the rear window...no furniture etc...nothing taken.
On my other side they jimmied a side window...entered and stole a small elect drill and a screwdriver which they used to unlock the deadbolt on the front door to exit.
Above me a Mobile home...1st time they tore off the siding to the floor/wall and entered taking a small vcr and some tapes...2nd time thru the roof at the rear bedroom...left some frozen meat on the kitchen table...drank half a can of beer...left behind whiskey bottles out on the counter...left the very large TV by the front door but could not open the security gate from the inside so they left mty handed.
House across the way was entered thru the back outside staircase...thru a window and took a portable TV.
Kitty corner house was broken into and they took a VCR hand remote.
Further down a couple of mty lots is a mobile home that had their car stolen from the front yard. The poor guy was without any transportation for 6 months.

Now you can see why I say they STEAL STEAL STEAL.

Could go on with other things I've seen...why bother...nothing is going to change.

Steve

Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,248,709 times
Looks do not determine a person's worth. There are many poor families living in bad areas who are good people. Hispanic is a distasteful term to me because it groups many races and cultures under one name. The problem is that the people who were accustomed to the corruption and crime common to many parts of Latin America have come here and settled in groups. High crime areas contain an ample supply of 'African americans" and trailer park trash as well. What do I see when I look at a Hispanic family? I see human beings that I may get to know someday.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:32 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times
Steve, Rosarito is practically a suburb of Tijuana---with lots of rich gringoes to steal from. Not exactly the kind of place where you'd find Mexico's lowest crime risk, either. Not to put down your experiences, but Mexico City and a gringo suburb of Tijuana are probably about as representative as New York City and Palm Springs.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,972,121 times
Honest people with any integrity do not STEAL for any reason.

As I had stated in my posts...I'm the only American in this sub division and UNTOUCHED by thieves.

A majority of the homes that were broken into were owned by Mexicans...one from Argentina with a Mexican wife...(My next door neighbor)...Mobile home above me is from Venezuela with a Mexican wife whose grandfather was a signer on the Original Mexican Constitution.

Bottom line is Mexicans stealing from Mexicans... besides from a few other Americans I heard.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,779,336 times
[quote=tallrick;9217186]...Hispanic is a distasteful term to me because it groups many races and cultures under one name... [quote]

I think that's true of most of our modern big terms, though; white, black, Asian, etc. - they all lump a huge variety of cultures together, with the only defining feature being color of skin, although in many cases even that isn't that similar, either. I can see your point if you think that the overall lumping of people into these types of categories is in itself distasteful, but I personally wouldn't agree that labeling people (or people themselves labeling themselves as Hispanic) is any much different than any of the other big broad labels.

Race or ethnicity-based broad labels change with time, too (or rather the way people sort themselves or others into various groups), depending on larger cultural context.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:53 PM

1,070 posts, read 1,332,432 times
Default What do you see when.......

you look at AN Hispanic family? Let me TELL YOU what I see.....I see a family that can be from any of the 18 COUNTRIES that speak SPANISH. Each one of them of a different color, culture, customs, and behavior, who may have come to this country looking for the AMERICAN DREAM, some legal, others not, but all with the same hope, motivations, and dreams.........

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 PM

2,242 posts, read 5,438,459 times
No one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates