Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 02:10 PM

32 posts, read 81,576 times

Advertisements

After watching several news-shows, I have been disturbed by what these news shows' guests have been saying. They call "illegals" rapists, child molesters, theives, gang members, murders... the list goes on. Obviously, yes, there is going to be some illegal immigrants who ARE bad people. But we shouldnt label them ALL this way. There are much more Americans Citizens doing these same things, and worse, who are never caught. There are some good, law-abiding illegal immigrants who have just come here for the good ole' American Dream, the illegal way. Processing dates are slow, taking a decade or more in some cases. Though, the growing population has become a serious problem. Another point I make, is that many legal, non-english speaking, and english speaking hispanic immigrants are being discriminated against every day for who they are, an hispanic. They are tired of being considered a lower class because of the bad reputation of illegal hispanics. Many feel American Citizens, cacausians specifcally, look down at them and see them as criminals, when they are not. So, I ask, what do you see when you look at a hispanic/spanish-speaking family grocery-shopping, or at a resturant, enjoying dinner?
Do you discriminate against them too, making asumptions without personally knowing them? Or do you see them fairly, as every American should ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
I usually see people with dark hair and eyes.

And a lot of times, the dad is wearing a cowboy hat.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:15 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooscoosmama View Post
There are some ... law-abiding illegal immigrants who have just come ... the illegal way.
Ahh, see any sort of contradiction or paradox there?

As for the general question:

What I see are people, unless anyone gives me any reason to see anything different. Okay... I’m lying in the case of Hispanics: I also see someone who I may be able to practice my Spanish with. But other than that, I just see people... same as anyone else.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:20 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times
Quote:
What Do You see When You Look At A Hispanic Family?
People. Being hispanic dont mean their illegals, but even if they are their still people, just criminal people.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:31 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,471 times
Quote:
What Do You see When You Look At A Hispanic Family?
A beautiful family out and about, sharing some time together. I do not look at any race/nationality any other way as I do my own. It does not matter what color of skin someone has, in every race there are good people and bad. I do not look at everyone as being bad first then find out if they are good. I look at them as good until otherwise proven wrong. No matter their color.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:39 PM
ECG

42,606 posts, read 2,745,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
People. Being hispanic dont mean their illegals, but even if they are their still people, just criminal people.

...so you perceive every hispanic as a criminal?

Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 PM

458 posts, read 1,355,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG1951 View Post
...so you perceive every hispanic as a criminal?
Forgive me if I am wrong but I do not think thats what was meant. At least that's not how I read it.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:13 PM

32 posts, read 81,576 times
Oh no,no,no I am in an hispanic family. I posted this because this is the way some hispanics believe the rest of the population see them as. Please keep posts as inpersonal as possible, Im only looking for other peoples' opinions here. Many friends stressed their feelings to me of being an imposter in their own land.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:46 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
After watching several news-shows, I have been disturbed by what these news shows' guests have been saying. They call "illegals" rapists, child molesters, theives, gang members, murders... the list goes on. Obviously, yes, there is going to be some illegal immigrants who ARE bad people. But we shouldnt label them ALL this way. There are much more Americans Citizens doing these same things, and worse, who are never caught. There are some good, law-abiding illegal immigrants who have just come here for the good ole' American Dream, the illegal way. Processing dates are slow, taking a decade or more in some cases. Though, the growing population has become a serious problem. Another point I make, is that many legal, non-english speaking, and english speaking hispanic immigrants are being discriminated against every day for who they are, an hispanic. They are tired of being considered a lower class because of the bad reputation of illegal hispanics. Many feel American Citizens, cacausians specifcally, look down at them and see them as criminals, when they are not. So, I ask, what do you see when you look at a hispanic/spanish-speaking family grocery-shopping, or at a resturant, enjoying dinner?
Do you discriminate against them too, making asumptions without personally knowing them? Or do you see them fairly, as every American should ?
Well, I think you raise some very good points. If it's possible to make this kind of blanket statement without being hooted down, I would say the Latino community in our area have proven to be good residents and neighbors, plus diligent hard workers. And, to be honest, I really have noticed no negatives statements in the conversations I've had in our community.

Now, I'm going to push back a little and say that a very sizable proportion of the Latino community in this country are indeed here illegally. I don't think any truthful person can really deny that fact. So if a very large proportion of the Latino community is indeed here by flouting our immigration laws, then is it unreasonable to wonder if any given Latino with an accent might not be here legally?

To be sure, I think there needs to be an overhaul of the entire immigration mess, perhaps instituting some kind of guest worker program. But quotas exist for a reason--they exist to ensure that the existing legal residents of the country can absorb newcomers into the economy without undue strain on social services and the whatnot.

And in times such as these, an illegal alien earning a paycheck in this country is most likely a man who is taking a job from an American taxpayer. There is just no two ways to look at it. When this country was at full employment two years ago, it was a lot easier to look the other way. It's not so easy now to look a laid-off factory worker in the eye at a meat packing plant and say, "Sorry, Joe, but we're not hiring today," while any number of workers in the back are here illegally.

So to all that, I would offer that the Latino community in this country should, if anything, support vigorous enforcement of immigration law, for turning a blind eye to it actually increases the likelihood of prejudice. After all, virtually every American (With the obvious exception of the Indians) is descended from somebody who came to the border and passed muster at the hands of immigration. What's more, there are hundreds of thousands of people who are waiting their turn to immigrate by playing by the rules.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:34 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,352,440 times
I don't see color anymore...no I'm not color blind. but all I see is a family, unless they are waiving a gun around I could care less. They seem more family oriented then most White Americans...actually every race is more family oriented then white families...and I am white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates