Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:26 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,510,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Bad. I even find the name silly.
I agree. A "twit" was a derogatory label. A stupid twit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 05:01 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,086 times
I'm not sure if I would say good or bad. Just...pointless and trivial and trite. I opened up an account but frankly I don't see the point of it.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Boring and utterly pointless.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:31 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,316 times
It's a fad, and hopefully one that will fade away into obscurity sooner rather than later.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:47 PM

224 posts, read 675,622 times
I like Facebook a lot, and I don't see the need to have both. And the last thing I want is my phone chirping every two minutes because something happened in the world. When news breaks, it's not like it takes hours for us to get it. So if I Twitter, I might find out a few minutes sooner? I'm not a fan.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:10 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
It's an exceptional idea that has just begun to realize its full potential. Those of you who are summarily dismissing it aren't seeing just how versatile the technology is. I guarantee that you'll see an explosion in the use of Twitter and copycat technologies.

One real-world example of what I'm talking about - the Las Vegas Metro Police Dept uses Twitter to send notifications of missing children, suspects wanted for various crimes, notifications of community meetings/events and sometimes safety tips. I have Twitter set to forward their tweets (they're "tweets", not "twits", you twits ) to my cellphone, so I get instant notification when they send out a message. If I'm out of the house, I can watch for that car, suspect or child they're looking for. If half the people in the city did the same, imagine how quickly they could locate these people...

That's just one example. There's many other uses that are outside the scope of the traditional social networking role. Twitter is here to stay, and I predict that the "social" aspect will soon become the minority of its usage.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,011,124 times
Not interested. What are you doing? Making a sandwich. Update: eating a sandwich. Update: cleaning up after making and eating a sandwich.

*yawn*

I find Twittering to be yet another example of the current narcissism fad. The celebritization (is that a word?) of self. Has anyone determined whether Twits are more interested in being the follower or the followed? I'm betting most Twits want to be the followed, having toadies breathlessly hanging on their every action. Sort of a paparazzi lifestyle that you can turn off when you get bored with it.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:52 AM

857 posts, read 1,421,944 times
I dont use twitter but FB has status which I assume is a copycat and essentially the same thing. And I have mixed feelings about it, because some people use it well and some don't. Some people only post when they want to announce something of note, while others want to announce everything they are doing. I like hearing that so and so is getting married or promoted, I dont care that so and so is currently at the gym or shopping or whatever trivial day to day task it may be.

I dont know if twitter is the same but fb posts your sttus on your profile so if I dont log on for a couple days I can check the person's profile and still read whatever they announced. So if I missed the news the day of I can still keep up to date with the people I care about. The problem is most of the time its something trivial like, "I am full from chipotle".

Old 06-05-2009, 10:18 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
By the time I consider it, it will no longer be the cool thing to do, so I'm going to ride this one out and wait for the next best thing.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:05 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,510,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Not interested. What are you doing? Making a sandwich. Update: eating a sandwich. Update: cleaning up after making and eating a sandwich.

*yawn*

I find Twittering to be yet another example of the current narcissism fad. The celebritization (is that a word?) of self. Has anyone determined whether Twits are more interested in being the follower or the followed? I'm betting most Twits want to be the followed, having toadies breathlessly hanging on their every action. Sort of a paparazzi lifestyle that you can turn off when you get bored with it.

Great post!
Yes, it seems getting attention seems to be the big drug du jour.
It seems Paris Hilton has more influence than we credit her for. How many people seem to think their mundane lives are for others' interests? The Learning Channel, with its myriad of shows following large families around, is just one example.
I guess some with low self esteem try to create this idea that their life is interesting...to who...I don't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates