U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,263,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I don't think so. You're projecting. And honestly, it sounds as though you're the bitter person here.
Seems that way. Of course, I think it's kind of funny that somebody has a thread wanting people's honest opinions, then trashes people for actually providing them.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:32 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,513,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
My husband and I do not want children-ever. We've always felt this way but made the firm decision when he came home from Iraq. We are the only married couple inside of our circle of friends without children.

When I told an acquaintance that we weren't having children, she gasped and said "Oh my God, that is so abnormal. Is there something wrong with you?"

Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend that in this day and age, there are people who don't want kids?

What are your opinions?
Why are you so defensive about it? And, why do you care what other people think? Your choice is your choice, end of story.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:39 PM

15 posts, read 29,170 times
I didn't have kids to take care me in old age. I just want to say that when I see people without kids, I don't think that they are unhappy, just un-aware of the total joy of parenthood. I didn't understand this before I was a parent. I don't think that people are wrong for not wanting kids. if you enjoy your life as-is, then kudos to you. Enjoy being child-free, that is 100% your choice and no one but you has a right to tell you otherwise.

I think that my big thing is that I want other people to enjoy life as much as I do and I know that my kids are a big part of it. I guess I'm just a fixer at heart.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,795,182 times
Especially being a military family! When my husband was in the Marine Corps, everyone we knew had kids, we waited till we were 27 to have our first, old for military standards,lol...as for your decision, I find it quite rude what your friend said to you. It's a decision made by you and your husband and really nobodies business. Honestly, I find it odd when a couple decides that's what they want, since I can't imagine my life without kids or would want to. But just because I find that decision odd, it doesn't make me think any different of the couples I know who have decided to not have children.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:52 PM

588 posts, read 2,495,604 times
Echoing the sentiment of others, I have nothing against couples who choose not to have kids, it is their own private decision. There is no law that states you must procreate.

However, all other things being equal, I have more respect for a couple with kids than one without. The couple with kids has shown that they can handle the daily challenges of life not only for themselves, but also can handle the raising of brand new members of the human race. This is no small accomplishment. (Yes, I fully realize that not all parents are competent at this, but the vast majority are).

Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seems that way. Of course, I think it's kind of funny that somebody has a thread wanting people's honest opinions, then trashes people for actually providing them.
Yeah, I hadn't really thought of it that way, but you're right.

It's kind of like a wife asking her husband if she has put on weight...

Old 06-05-2009, 05:01 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,310,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
You can't help if you start losing your mental capabilities as you get older. If you would kick your parents out on the street if this had happened to them, it's your choice, but it seems a little heartless to me.
I wouldn't have anything to do with it. They'd be living their own lives wherever it is they're living them. If they found they needed assisted living, that's their problem. IF you retire--I don't plan to--you should have enough income to pay for any eventuality.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:05 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I wouldn't have anything to do with it. They'd be living their own lives wherever it is they're living them. If they found they needed assisted living, that's their problem. IF you retire--I don't plan to--you should have enough income to pay for any eventuality.
Wow.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:12 PM

620 posts, read 1,589,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
My husband and I do not want children-ever. We've always felt this way but made the firm decision when he came home from Iraq. We are the only married couple inside of our circle of friends without children.

When I told an acquaintance that we weren't having children, she gasped and said "Oh my God, that is so abnormal. Is there something wrong with you?"

Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend that in this day and age, there are people who don't want kids?

What are your opinions?
I don't see a thing wrong with it. Of course, I could be a bit biased. I'm not even sure I'll ever have children myself lol.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,795,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Wow.
double wow...does this person even have parents??? or children???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates