U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2009, 08:52 AM

3,088 posts, read 7,635,533 times

Advertisements

This is like the 2nd thread of this topic.

13 f'ing pages?????

If you do not want kids who the hell cares. Who cares what people think of you let them worry about themselves. If anything there is really no point to having kids unless you live on a farm or in a country where the culture requires it.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:55 AM

893 posts, read 1,352,922 times
Plain and simple, kids aren't for everyone. Some people find that out after it's too late. I have found that childless couples seem to have far less stress in there lives, they seem to enjoy eachother and live a bit better life. There are those gross parents that live vicariously through there children, overshadowing the kids lives all the while growing apart from their spouse. Like anything else, it comes down to preference and no one should have a say in it but you and your spouse.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
Plain and simple, kids aren't for everyone. Some people find that out after it's too late. I have found that childless couples seem to have far less stress in there lives, they seem to enjoy eachother and live a bit better life. There are those gross parents that live vicariously through there children, overshadowing the kids lives all the while growing apart from their spouse. Like anything else, it comes down to preference and no one should have a say in it but you and your spouse.
Hmmmm... I've found the opposite to be true.

I talked to an elderly couple several weeks ago, and they mentioned not being able to have any children. And for some reason, they never adopted either.

They actually had great sadness due to having no children and grandchildren. While they usually focused on other things, that sadness - or emptiness - was always with them.

That was their situation.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:25 AM

893 posts, read 1,352,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Hmmmm... I've found the opposite to be true.

I talked to an elderly couple several weeks ago, and they mentioned not being able to have any children. And for some reason, they never adopted either.

They actually had great sadness due to having no children and grandchildren. While they usually focused on other things, that sadness - or emptiness - was always with them.

That was their situation.
While I do have sympathy for them for being sad, I don't get why they would be. How does one miss what they haven't had? There is no guarantee that any child will be successful, productive citizens. We all hope and do our best to mold that, but you can see it throughout the world.

I should have said of all the childless couples that I know, which are several, are happier. My neighbor and I discussed this very topic last week and I think it comes down to what you want in life. I, personally, am a social person and don't think there is a difference between close friends and family, but then again, my entire family is like that. We just aren't the "holiday get together" type family. I have one daughter, and she will be the only one. I'd rather spoil her than to have 2,3, or 4 kids running around throughout my house all the time or give up my career to cater to a bunch of childrens needs.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko75 View Post
While I do have sympathy for them for being sad, I don't get why they would be. How does one miss what they haven't had? There is no guarantee that any child will be successful, productive citizens. We all hope and do our best to mold that, but you can see it throughout the world.

I should have said of all the childless couples that I know, which are several, are happier. My neighbor and I discussed this very topic last week and I think it comes down to what you want in life. I, personally, am a social person and don't think there is a difference between close friends and family, but then again, my entire family is like that. We just aren't the "holiday get together" type family. I have one daughter, and she will be the only one. I'd rather spoil her than to have 2,3, or 4 kids running around throughout my house all the time or give up my career to cater to a bunch of childrens needs.
Well, I guess that's a testament to different people.

The old couple I'm speaking of were sad. That is all. Whether it's because they didn't really have many friends, or whether they honestly just yearned for children, I don't know.

In the case of my wife & I, we couldn't be happier with our choice to have 3 kids. One is getting married this fall, another next summer. We're delighted. It has worked wonderfully for us.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:49 AM

7,673 posts, read 11,281,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Hmmmm. Let's see. Shrill, childless man bandying about terms such as "Feeble" and "Idiotic," for my mildly suggesting that being childless can mean that one ultimately may not reach full emotional maturity. Thanks for making my case for me. That couldn't have worked out better if I had scripted it.
AN ODE TO CPG

Perpetual adolescence is the fate of all who live childfree
Or so says the supercilious, condescending cpg.
They have not ripened! They cannot know!
What life is about, without kids in tow.

Her thought process is addled, her opinions perverse
Nothing else on this thread, could have been worse.
For her ridiculous comments I gave her an award,
For the most idiotic post on the entire debate board.

Ah, but she was not done, she tried to reply
But her attempt at insulting me went complete awry.
For her pitiful rejoinder, she got another nomination
For posting yet another unintelligent abomination.

With that I will close for it’s a beautiful day
And I have no further need, her intelligence to flambe.
I will continue living my life, carefree and wild,
And will be doing it happily, without nary a child.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
My husband and I do not want children-ever.
This obviously is a very personal decision - one which you and your husband have made.

Personally, I can, and do, respect your decision.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:12 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,211,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
AN ODE TO CPG

Perpetual adolescence is the fate of all who live childfree
Or so says the supercilious, condescending cpg.
They have not ripened! They cannot know!
What life is about, without kids in tow.

Her thought process is addled, her opinions perverse
Nothing else on this thread, could have been worse.
For her ridiculous comments I gave her an award,
For the most idiotic post on the entire debate board.

Ah, but she was not done, she tried to reply
But her attempt at insulting me went complete awry.
For her pitiful rejoinder, she got another nomination
For posting yet another unintelligent abomination.

With that I will close for itís a beautiful day
And I have no further need, her intelligence to flambe.
I will continue living my life, carefree and wild,
And will be doing it happily, without nary a child.
That's kind of funny. But it would be better if you wrote in some recognizable meter, poseur that you are. Sharpen up the quill pen and do it again.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:13 PM

197 posts, read 328,016 times
i can understand your decision fully, even if its just as simple as not wanting kids. I have genetic problems... and bluntly, my childhood was horrid. I don't wish to put that onto anyone else, let alone my children. that aside, if you can't support a child in every way, you shouldn't have a kid. If one of the parents doesn't have a good stable job, you should have kids. If one of the parents or both of them jointly, isn't able to commit a massive amount of time to their kids, they should have them. If your marriage is in anyway unstable, you shouldn't have kids. However, even if your perfectly fine, having kids changes everything in all ways. You are very limited as to what you "should" do in regards to activities in the early years with your children, and in general.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:49 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,273,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm not sure you understand child development, based on this.
You're the parent, you're in charge. Story over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates