Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Fair enough. Can you explain to me a situation where NOT having kids is clearly the harder route?
I can tell you that having kids would not make my life easier. NOT having kids for me is harder because I have to defend my choice to NOT procreate to all the zealots who think I have taken the easy way out. After your statement about childless couples with their trips to Europe, I had a revelation. It just sounds like envy to me. Believe me, you would not want to be in my shoes. I have been taking care of my mother for the last 7 years after her stroke. You might as well say I have an 81 year old child living with me and my husband. She pressures me to have a child so that I have someone to take care me in old age. No thanks...I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I have much respect for myself and my choice.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:38 PM

199 posts, read 652,802 times
I have a child of my own and I cannot imagine life without him.... I am not sure if I get respect for having a child, but I do respect that a couple has decided not to have children.... NO doubt raising kids are haaaaard work (you only realise how much once you do it) but if it's not for you then I'd rather they choose not to have kids than just have kids for the sake of it and screw up the child's life by not caring for it (how many parents are on the news today for killing their own young? casey's mom for instance?)

Having children does not make you a great parent or a great person and not having children does not make you a bad person either.

Last edited by indie05; 06-11-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Hi all. I want to point out something else. Just because someone does not like children, it doesn't necessarily mean that he or she HATES children. They might donate to children's charities without ever spending any one on one time with them.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:48 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Nobody's elses business.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:24 PM

901 posts, read 2,986,784 times
Just because someone does not want children of their own does not mean that they hate children. I don't want to have children, but I like children a lot. I'm a teacher and I spend at least 35 hours a week with children.

A family member of mine who does not want children of her own treats her nephews and nieces like gold. She doesn't just buy them stuff, she spends time with them.

So, let's cut out the stupid assumptions that all people who choose not to have kids hate them. In my case, I just don't want to spend my free time with kids.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:31 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,507,850 times
I do not get the concept of finding the perfect one just to pop out a few kids and having that be your main focus.

Oh, and by the way I do hate kids. I do not get why that's so taboo. We live in such a child centric country where people must walk on egg shells constantly because of the children. F*ck the children.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I do not get the concept of finding the perfect one just to pop out a few kids and having that be your main focus.

Oh, and by the way I do hate kids. I do not get why that's so taboo. We live in such a child centric country where people must walk on egg shells constantly because of the children. F*ck the children.
I really did LOL when I read your post. But really, not all childless people hate children.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:42 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
I don't get it. If you don't want children, why should that matter to me? It makes absolutely no difference in my life. And why should anyone care that I do want children? We were all children once, why so much venom?

Old 06-13-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I don't get it. If you don't want children, why should that matter to me? It makes absolutely no difference in my life. And why should anyone care that I do want children? We were all children once, why so much venom?
The OP was commenting on the way her family and friends reacted to her decision. The point wasn't that it should matter to every person with children that there are people in the world who do not want children.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:00 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
My husband and I do not want children-ever. We've always felt this way but made the firm decision when he came home from Iraq. We are the only married couple inside of our circle of friends without children.

When I told an acquaintance that we weren't having children, she gasped and said "Oh my God, that is so abnormal. Is there something wrong with you?"

Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend that in this day and age, there are people who don't want kids?

What are your opinions?
Bravo! Brava!

I applaud any couple that chooses NOT to have children, just as much as those who DO...
Our world certainly does not need any more miserable people ( or parents or children).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates