Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't take sick days. I'd rather not be required to take vacations. I'd rather receive the money for them at the end of the year, like I did in the military. Of course, this is the first company I've worked for where I even got vacation days! None of the other companies even offered them.

As far as health care goes, I don't get funds deducted from my paycheck for health insurance.

If you're not dying, come in and work. That's what I do.
but as i've told you before in other threads, you and your "i'll shoot myself when i'm old and lame" mentality don't work for humanity, and aren't rational or logical.

you don't take sick days. great. so when you get the flu, you go in and infect everyone else. nice going there, gomer.

you don't like vacations. great. don't take them.

your problem is that you are judging other people by your ridiculous standards. if you want to shoot yourself when you get old, feel free–but quit trying to tell the rest of us that we need to do the same. some of us like living, even if we are getting old. some of us like vacations. some of us want and need health care (even in the sorry state that it is in), and some of us like knowing that we're not getting everyone else in the office sick when we come down with bird-swine-horse-cow flu.

again, if you are sick, stay home. if you're not, don't stay home. pretty simple. doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you have kids.

good grief. aaron out.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't take sick days.
If you're not dying, come in and work. That's what I do.
If you are ill - stay home.

By NOT doing so, you are putting other employees at risk of illness.

As an employer, if one of my staff comes in obviously ill, they are sent home.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:29 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,917,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Oh GD.. give me a break.. the quote below

I was simply stating a fact: that employers often go to people that are single and / or childless and asked them first to cover such shifts as holidays etc. AND when you chose to be childless you leave yourself open to being asked first .. it's simply part of being single and/or childless. (which is a choice just as much as being a parent is a choice)
This is where many childfree have an issue. The first person asked to work a holiday should be the one who had it off last. It should NEVER be about who is at home. If one WANTS to work a holiday go for it but it should NEVER be assumed that because one doesn't have kids at home they should be the first one asked to work it. Last time I checked, we like holiday's off as well. Having or not having kids should never be a part of the workplace. Work is about work. I hope I am never told I ought to work a holiday because so and so has kids. If kids interrupt your work and you cannot contribute as much as your co-workers, that particular job isn't for you. My two cents.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:16 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
I had to pick up the slack quite a bit for an ex-co worker. At my job, everybody works alone and you can't leave until the next shift relieves you. My shift ends at 7 a.m. and the morning shift takes over. She would often come in at 7:30-7:45 because she had to take her kid to day care.

This was a huge problem because I'm in school and I had class at 8, so I was late a lot. My professor for that course was the type to mark you down for being late and deducted points from your grade. My grade actually dropped because I was late so much-and this made me mad.

I spoke with her but she basically said "Well, I have to take my kid to day care so it's not my problem if you're late for school". I complained to management and she ended up quitting. They hired someone who could come in on time.

Being late once or twice happens, but three or four times every week is completely unacceptable.

Agreed that picking up the slack more often than not involves individual work ethic and merit.
I'm sorry you had that unfortunate experience. The employee in question should have made concessions to get her children off to daycare earlier so she can be at work on time. That she was consistently 30 minutes late shows a lack of respect for you and her employer as well as poor time management skills. If there is an issue with child care, she should have discussed this with management to have her schedule adjusted and not have burdened you by forcing you to stay over your shift.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I must have missed that explanation during the new employee orientation:

"All right everyone, listen up!"

"All employees get two weeks paid vacation and all federal holidays off."

"However, those of you who are bereft of children will be expected to cover holiday shifts and other extra assignments so that all of the mommies and daddies here can spend wholesome quality time with their family. I am sorry if this inconveniences you in any way, but you should have been fruitful and multiplied as God intended. Whether you made a decision to remain childless, or whether you are childless due to medical reasons is of no consequence. Your lives pale in comparison to all the wonderful mothers and fathers employed by our company and you must suffer the consequences."

"That is all."
That's what I was thinking!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
This is where many childfree have an issue. The first person asked to work a holiday should be the one who had it off last. It should NEVER be about who is at home. If one WANTS to work a holiday go for it but it should NEVER be assumed that because one doesn't have kids at home they should be the first one asked to work it. Last time I checked, we like holiday's off as well. Having or not having kids should never be a part of the workplace. Work is about work. I hope I am never told I ought to work a holiday because so and so has kids. If kids interrupt your work and you cannot contribute as much as your co-workers, that particular job isn't for you. My two cents.
Thank you!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:57 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Neither my parents nor my husbands parents will ever be living in our home.

This is not because I don't want them to be taken care of, but rather because I've seen what that can do to a household. My father's father passed away before I was born. My father's mother moved in with my parents and lived with them for 20 years before one of the other siblings took over the responsibility. My grandmother hated my mother and tried every day to make her life miserable.

I will never put myself through that. Ever.

I will make sure my parents are taken care of, but it will not be in my household.

Millions and millons of families lived like this just fine and its was the strength of many strong families in other times. Just one disfunctional example does not make much of a point. At least 50% of marriages end this way too. In fact even children that live with their parents often endup hating them.Dysfuntional relationships is very common.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
but as i've told you before in other threads, you and your "i'll shoot myself when i'm old and lame" mentality don't work for humanity, and aren't rational or logical.

you don't take sick days. great. so when you get the flu, you go in and infect everyone else. nice going there, gomer.

you don't like vacations. great. don't take them.

your problem is that you are judging other people by your ridiculous standards. if you want to shoot yourself when you get old, feel free–but quit trying to tell the rest of us that we need to do the same. some of us like living, even if we are getting old. some of us like vacations. some of us want and need health care (even in the sorry state that it is in), and some of us like knowing that we're not getting everyone else in the office sick when we come down with bird-swine-horse-cow flu.

again, if you are sick, stay home. if you're not, don't stay home. pretty simple. doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you have kids.

good grief. aaron out.
If I could avoid taking the vacation days, I would, but I'm required to. I'm NOT required to take sick days, and I see no reason to. I've never been so sick I couldn't work. Other people have to take up YOUR slack when you call out--so I don't. I have more respect for my coworkers. Who, by the way, I have little interaction with. We all have our own individual responsibilities, and working side by side is a waste of resources. There's plenty of work to do so that each person can work ALONE.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yes, if you are the employee that doesn't have a family you are going to be the first one they go to to cover holiday shifts or extra type stuff. That's a part of YOUR choice to remain childless. But again, you are also compensated and hopefully recognized for that.
I do choose to remain childless, but I still have parents, brothers, and sisters who would like for me to be able to see them on holidays a couple of times a year. Not having kids doesn't mean that I don't have a family.

Where I work if you are promoted based on your choices to (or not to) reproduce you can sue for discrimination.

Fair is fair. If you sign on to a job that demands certain hrs, schedules, or commitments then you fulfill your obligation. If you willingly sign a contract that you know you cannot fulfill then you should be obligated to suffer the consequences of breaking said contract. Your fellow employees should not have to make up for your difference since they were hired to do the job in their contract, not the job in yours.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:42 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Completely agree. My job is one that runs and operates 24/7, 365 days a year so somebody has to be there on the holidays. We all sat down together and filled out the holiday schedule, and everyone worked X amount of holidays and had X number of holidays off so it was fair.

It was initially tough to work the schedule because those who had children felt that they shouldn't have to work any holidays and those of us who were childless should be required to work all of them. So our families don't count? What about our husbands/wives, mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews? Anyway, management stepped in and reminded everyone that as a condition of employment, EVERYBODY had agreed to work the holidays when hired because it is a requirement of the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates