U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 AM
 
Location: The Midst of Insanity
3,225 posts, read 6,125,444 times
Reputation: 3209

Advertisements

My husband and I do not want children-ever. We've always felt this way but made the firm decision when he came home from Iraq. We are the only married couple inside of our circle of friends without children.

When I told an acquaintance that we weren't having children, she gasped and said "Oh my God, that is so abnormal. Is there something wrong with you?"

Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend that in this day and age, there are people who don't want kids?

What are your opinions?

 
Old 06-04-2009, 01:45 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Reputation: 10915
I fully support it--I'm the same way. Kids are a distraction to the relationship, when you could be focusing on each other instead. My stepbrother and his wife have been married like 20 years, and haven't had any kids either.
 
Old 06-04-2009, 01:49 AM
 
2,385 posts, read 3,705,265 times
Reputation: 2395
I don't think it's abnormal in that you're defective for not wanting them, but evolutionarily speaking, you're only here on Earth to duplicate yourself.

What happens in old age? That's the thing. Who's going to take care of you, and love you enough to make sure you get treated well when your spouse passes on? I don't want to be shut-up somewhere in a nursing home with no visitors.
 
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 40,279,788 times
Reputation: 10915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I don't think it's abnormal in that you're defective for not wanting them, but evolutionarily speaking, you're only here on Earth to duplicate yourself.

What happens in old age? That's the thing. Who's going to take care of you, and love you enough to make sure you get treated well when your spouse passes on? I don't want to be shut-up somewhere in a nursing home with no visitors.
Having kids is no guarantee that won't happen anyway. I wouldn't take my parents in--after all they'd done to me, nor would my sisters.

EDIT: Even if you're the best of parents, it's still no guarantee. And you shouldn't be a burden to your kids anyhow.

Last edited by TKramar; 06-04-2009 at 03:00 AM..
 
Old 06-04-2009, 02:08 AM
 
2,385 posts, read 3,705,265 times
Reputation: 2395
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Having kids is no guarantee that won't happen anyway. I wouldn't take my parents in--after all they'd done to me, nor would my sisters.
well, ok, but I'm not planning on being a crappy parent
 
Old 06-04-2009, 04:50 AM
 
Location: USA
1,107 posts, read 2,520,381 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
My husband and I do not want children-ever. We've always felt this way but made the firm decision when he came home from Iraq. We are the only married couple inside of our circle of friends without children.

When I told an acquaintance that we weren't having children, she gasped and said "Oh my God, that is so abnormal. Is there something wrong with you?"

Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend that in this day and age, there are people who don't want kids?

What are your opinions?
I think it's your decision, and anyone that judges you for it is being unfair. A lot of people don't want to have children for various reasons, which is their business, nobody elses. There are so many children born to abusive and neglectful parents in this country, and the way that the world has become, I think it's harder on children. You can't take your eyes off them for a second because of all the dangers out there.

I say good for you and your hubby, don't let the judgmental people get you down.
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:02 AM
 
Location: Southwestern Ohio
4,112 posts, read 5,727,110 times
Reputation: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegirl View Post
I think it's your decision, and anyone that judges you for it is being unfair. A lot of people don't want to have children for various reasons, which is their business, nobody elses. There are so many children born to abusive and neglectful parents in this country, and the way that the world has become, I think it's harder on children. You can't take your eyes off them for a second because of all the dangers out there.

I say good for you and your hubby, don't let the judgmental people get you down.
Well said. My DD is only 20, but has told me that if I wanted grandchildren, I should have had another child. She is in a LTR and says he's okay with it. They have to be happy with their choice and if folks don't want kids, it's definitely noone's business but theirs.
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:29 AM
 
Location: MS
3,949 posts, read 3,856,381 times
Reputation: 1370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
What happens in old age? That's the thing. Who's going to take care of you, and love you enough to make sure you get treated well when your spouse passes on? I don't want to be shut-up somewhere in a nursing home with no visitors.
I won't get to that point. I've already told my wife that I'll have a gun cleaning 'accident'. If I can't do it, she will do it for me. I'll do the same for her. We will not be apart.

We are both 40 and no kids by choice. We love our neices and nephews but after a few hours they can go back to their parents. Our cats are much easier to take care of.

-Robert
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:34 AM
 
1,297 posts, read 3,051,201 times
Reputation: 1505
I used to feel that way too. And the thing is, I just don't think people without children truly understand. There is nothing wrong with it...if you don't know what you are missing, then there is no way you will ever know.

But after having a child I will say this. I always wondered "what the meaning of life is." Once you hold a new born baby that you have given life to, you will always understand.

The meaning of life is to create life. Period.
 
Old 06-04-2009, 05:50 AM
 
Location: USA
1,107 posts, read 2,520,381 times
Reputation: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I used to feel that way too. And the thing is, I just don't think people without children truly understand. There is nothing wrong with it...
She didn't say there was anything wrong with it. She said she and her husband CHOOSE not to have children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
if you don't know what you are missing, then there is no way you will ever know.
What if she chooses not to find out ? Obviously, the original poster and her husband have discussed this, and have made a decision that they feel is right for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
The meaning of life is to create life. Period.

Maybe for you, and that's wonderful for you, but you can't pigeon hole and decide what is the right thing to do for everyone when it comes to having children or not. There are plenty of people who do not have children that are wonderful, and caring that have contributed a lot to better the world in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top