U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:10 AM

12,549 posts, read 13,165,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
To me this sounds like an irresponsible way of thinking. To just do something because it's fun, appealing or inviting rather than doing something because it is the right thing to do.
it is the difference between living life in joy, and living life in heaviness and drudgery. I choose joy.
We choose our relationship with God the same way. Do we see God as a presence that is nurturing, kind, comforting, joyful, loving, fun, safe, and protective? Or do we see God as a presence that is punishing, stern, judgmental, harsh, mean, scary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I guess I didn't make my basic question clear. It is this:

Is Religion some universal truth, much larger than yourself, that you must shape yourself to fit into?

Or is Religion any suitable plug, only large enough to keep your soul from leaking out during your lifetime?

Is Religion a Big Picture, that you must fit into, or a Little Picture that must fit into you?
Religion is not spirituality.

Yes, spirituality is the big picture, larger than myself. I don't have to make myself fit into it, because I am already part of it, in the same way a drop of water is part of the ocean.

A drop of water doesn't have to make itself fit into the ocean, it just does naturally because that is where it came from and where it returns.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, motivations fall into three categories. Someone told me to, its fun and/or profitable, and its the right thing to do. He seems to be unaware of the third one.
to my way of thinking there are only two motivations:
is this my will, or is this god's will

in the same way a person is in one of two states at all times:
love or fear

every decision comes from a place of love, or it comes from a place of fear. I choose love. same as aligning myself with god's will at all times.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 PM

342 posts, read 583,932 times
Quote:
Has anybody ever considered changing denominations within Christianity, and then wondered if Christianity is in fact the "true" monotheism?
I have looked into the doctrine of other churches and found some not to be a match for me and what I believe the bible to say. No to the second part of your question

Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM

35,835 posts, read 39,614,637 times
I didn't choose the church I grew up attending; I went from birth. My family on my dad's side were among the founders of the rural German Lutheran congregation in the mid 1800s. I loved it, but it was a place I was born into, not a place I chose.

When I moved from the area, I worked for a church (also Lutheran), so I attended that one. It was the sort of place I'd have chosen had I not had a professional affiliation with it.

Now, having moved again, I haven't found a church that appeals to me enough to attend regularly.

I've attended/visited churches of other denominations (various Catholic churches - Jesuit, Benedictine, Franciscan, non-denom, Unitarian-Universalist, Quaker), but none have spoken to me in the same way that ELCA Lutheranism does. So while I am open to examining other places to worship, I'm most inclined to find a Lutheran church home.

I look for:

*A strong, friendly, open, and inclusive community
*Small size
*ELCA Lutheran denomination (unfortunately hard to come by where I live)
*Politically liberal congregation
*Music as a large part of worship
*An active younger adult component (20 and 30 somethings), which is TOUGH to find outside of evangelical megachurches, which aren't really my scene.
*Not SOLELY a "young people" church, I want a church that's cross-generational, and has singles, couples, families.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,362,897 times
Quote:
How many of you, seeking a new church, have ever walked into a non-Christian place of worship, and asked a Hindu or a Muslim or a Buddhist to explain how the word of God has been revealed to them, and why they are sure it is the truth?

I wonder if it's like walking into a gay bar, for a person who is afraid he/she might like it.
I have gone to Temple (Jewish) but other than that I have not actually gone to a place of worship blindly. I feel that to be a bit disrepectful. I like to know a little about a faith before entering their place of worship, so I may do so properly - were I to do so.

I do enjoy chatting with persons of all faith and their reasons for their faith. I have yet to be swayed from mine

Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,356,365 times
Quote:
This is intended to be a philosophical discussion (aka Great Debate) to address the question of whether you are obliged to accept the church that your God reveals and presents to you, or whether you get to pick and choose a church that lets you feel comfy, with no sacrifices necessary, to make your religion be what you would like it to be. Do you get to invent a religion, and then look for a church that doesn't ruffle your feathers too much?

For example, if you move to a new city, how do you decide what congregation to affiliate with? Within Christianity, how do you decide which denomination you are? Do you know enough about other faiths to be sure that you are not actually being called to some other religion, and not Christianity at all?
Well, for me I went and visited a couple of churches and just knew which church was the right one for me. When I looked for the right church, I was looking to see if God's spirit was working in the church and if the pastor was teaching out of the bible and not by his own doctrine.

Then I noticed that God woud give my pastor a word just for me, that know one knew about but God and me. So, If God would give my pastor a word for me, then I knew that God wanted me in that church. I have grown spiritually in my church and have gotten what I needed to grown that I never got from others churches.

So, if you allow God to lead and direct you, then you will know which church is the right church. Just allow God to direct your way and path.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:48 PM

13,624 posts, read 10,743,465 times
hmm just preach in your own mind you might get more results that way!!! i think god cares for spiritual thought not material structures.. or in other words you don't need to go worship in a steel and concrete building. god is in every partical in every universe.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:55 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,362,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
hmm just preach in your own mind you might get more results that way!!! i think god cares for spiritual thought not material structures.. or in other words you don't need to go worship in a steel and concrete building. god is in every partical in every universe.
While I don't disagree with you in theory, I have to disagree in practicality. I cannot tell you how many times I was sitting and listening to the message in my Church, and I could know the Bible passage well enough, but then, the pastor would make some analogy, or some thought process, and I would be like....WOW....I never thought of it quite like that before!

Sortof like political discussions, or Great Debates here, someone can always give you a different slant, or viewpoint or perspective that adds value and dimension to your thought process you never could have achieved by 'preaching in your own mind' as it were.

Additionally, God made us to be social creatures, and the Gathering is almost as important as the preaching, so..it is important - the whole steel building portion of worship as well.

I do agree with you that I see God's fingerprint on everything good in this world!! Even those particles I cannot see...every breath my child takes...the wind the butterflies light on...the lightning that comes down in a thunderstorm...all beautiful things to my eyes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates