Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Why are liberals so concerned with living around their own kind? I have noticed probably 300 threads that read "Looking for Nice Liberal Area".

Now liberals claim to be all about diversity but how come they don't want to live in a diverse area when it comes to politics? Maybe conservatives just have no choice since every city in America is majority liberal so I guess we just get used to it and deal with it. I live in a gay/liberal area and I'm a very conservative person, and religious as well. I have no problem being the only conservative within 5miles. I have a gay neighbor and were great friends I just don't see the big deal with living around like minded political families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:28 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why are liberals so concerned with living around their own kind? I have noticed probably 300 threads that read "Looking for Nice Liberal Area".

Now liberals claim to be all about diversity but how come they don't want to live in a diverse area when it comes to politics?
They call it a paradox

A bigger problem is trying to find a "liberal school" for the children.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
They call it a paradox

A bigger problem is trying to find a "liberal school" for the children.
That's a great line in the movie departed: "I did well in school also, they call that a paradox" - Jack Nicholas

Isn't every school basically liberal? just like every business class is republican?

Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
It's no different than people who want to live among Christians, with Christian schools and Christian values. I see that come up alot too.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:

Now liberals claim to be all about diversity but how come they don't want to live in a diverse area when it comes to politics? Maybe conservatives just have no choice since every city in America is majority liberal so I guess we just get used to it and deal with it. I live in a gay/liberal area and I'm a very conservative person, and religious as well. I have no problem being the only conservative within 5miles. I have a gay neighbor and were great friends I just don't see the big deal with living around like minded political families.

your mindset is how more people should think. I think for the most part if you have a lifestyle that is not considered mainstream or have experienced hatred, you would want to live somewhere more tolerant. I do not mind living with people who are different than me but with that said I would not move to an area where men with muliple wives were the norm, as I would not find anyone to truly connect with. I would be telling the wives they either need to get 6 husbands to even things out, or I would be telling the women they were nuts to live like that. either way I would be the odd ball and I doubt I would find a true friend that understood me.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:45 PM

If I moved to an area 100% conservative, I would be completely bored, we need liberals and hippies to keep the entertainment alive. I love all the different characters you see in the city. Just sitting on my stoop of my rowhouse I will see a millionaire walk by then a homeless guy then a vegan then a NRA member. Life is too short to get all worked up over politics however a citizen should be involved in his neighborhood.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I've found you get along better with people you have the same basic belief systems with, and generally people don't want to be told the way they live their lives is wrong because it's not the same as the people around them.

The funny thing is there is no set definition of each, each is a degree of what the person feels are values of each extreme (which changes over time). I am considered the most conservative person in my office right now, in my last job I was considered a staunch liberal person...different states and just took a week to move. People have their own internal dialogs on what constitutes each, and the category the people around them fit in.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:

Liberal tend not to be like minded. Liberalism is a much broader philosophy than conservatism. There's only so many people I want to here from about how they were "born again."

Old 06-02-2009, 01:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thnik taht the key word in all those post is the NICE really. In toher words away from the area I am in how because of conditions.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
There's only so many people I want to here from about how they were "born again."
I'm 26 and friends with a lot of god lovers like myself and I have never heard anyone tell me how they were born again unless I asked. Just my two pennies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates