Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i came from a rough background so more hard times is no stranger. this is one advantage the kidults dont have and they are guna need it.
ain't that the truth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 05:26 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I have a nice home, cars, children. All of them I can afford. How would having that make anyone a "greedy pig"?

You're not making any sense. You assume that someone who has these things 1) can't afforfd them, 2) feels they desire them, 3) is an average American owing 11 times what they make. How would you know how much any given person makes.

Or are you just mad at "the rich" greedy pigs ("rich" being those who have a bit more than you do)?
I never said anyone was a 'greedy pig' ; I think you have me mixed up with another poster. I never said i knew how much anyone makes ; im repeating a figure i heard on national TV. Im not jealous at all of those who have more than i do ; Im living a very content, fulfilled life , have enough money , and have my priorities in the correct place with a personal relationship with God at the front of the line. How are you feeling today ?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:02 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I see Americans as, for the most part, being pretty spoiled. I think it would do us all some good to get off our high-horse and get a little taste of how the rest of the world lives - If nothing else we'll actually learn how to appreciate what we have instead of the empty desire to have more more more.
My families, friends, co-workers would always be so puzzled when I'd take trips to third-world countries. I would say: Well, I just want to get a peek at what our country will look like some day.

When I did get there, say to Central America, I was not discouraged, disappointed, depressed at any time. I tried to look at the good that could come out of a lower standard of living, which can actually be a higher standard of living.

Unfortunately, in the U.S., there is no perfect climate, like areas of Central America, so many will suffer due to our climate, requiring heat and air-conditioning.
Someone living in a tin-roofed shack, clinging to a hillside in Honduras or Nicaragua or El Salvador, will never freeze to death, and never over-heat
and with a 365 day growing season, they'll always be able to grow a few crops in their backyard to help them survive. These are luxuries they are totally unaware of.

But to have a lower standard of living in the colder or hotter regions of the country could be very painful, without enough money to keep your house heated and cooled.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:09 PM

'Originally Posted by cleatis
I see Americans as, for the most part, being pretty spoiled. I think it would do us all some good to get off our high-horse and get a little taste of how the rest of the world lives - If nothing else we'll actually learn how to appreciate what we have instead of the empty desire to have more more more.
'

Im afraid you are so right. Could it be our freedoms, liberty, pursuit of prestige, keeping up with the Jones', and entitlement attitudes.... are having an adverse affect on us ?

'

Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I never said anyone was a 'greedy pig' ; I think you have me mixed up with another poster. I never said i knew how much anyone makes ; im repeating a figure i heard on national TV. Im not jealous at all of those who have more than i do ; Im living a very content, fulfilled life , have enough money , and have my priorities in the correct place with a personal relationship with God at the front of the line. How are you feeling today ?
You are correct. I did confuse you with big daryle, who came into the midst of the discussion with the greedy pig comment. I mistook your clarification about someone whose 'eyes are bigger than their pocketbook' to be a clarification of the greedy pig comment. My bad. I meant to direct my post to big daryle. My apologies to you. I, too, have a personal relationship with God at the front of all my priorities. However, at the moment, I feel like I have egg on my face. That's what happens when one doesn't read carefully and is in a hurry. Forgive me. May I learn from this.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
You are correct. I did confuse you with big daryle, who came into the midst of the discussion with the greedy pig comment. I mistook your clarification about someone whose 'eyes are bigger than their pocketbook' to be a clarification of the greedy pig comment. My bad. I meant to direct my post to big daryle. My apologies to you. I, too, have a personal relationship with God at the front of all my priorities. However, at the moment, I feel like I have egg on my face. That's what happens when one doesn't read carefully and is in a hurry. Forgive me. May I learn from this.
Your forgiven, my Friend.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Your forgiven, my Friend.
You are most gracious. Thank you.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I've lived frugally most of my life, and raised my children to do so as well. I have always had a vegie garden, fruit trees, and berry bushes/plants; always canned, frozen, dehydrated my own vegies, always bought in bulk. I ran chickens for fresh eggs and meat until the town I lived in ordinanced them out. So - I moved to where I could have them and an even bigger garden! I even have a pasture now, and my brother and I are discussing going in together on a few steers... even some cows and a bull for milk, butter and cheese. I've made my own butter and cheese in the past, have butchered my own kills (and even make a really good jerky and sausage - ahem). Many of my jobs have been farm related, so I know how things are supposed to work, and am now living my dream of making them work - for me. This is what I have always wanted, no matter what the economy does.

Meanwhile the aquaintances that I have left behind, (Those who are still employed) in 'the big city' are still going out to eat every other night, still taking cruises, still partying, still buying the newest iphones and crackberries, and still living at the same heights that they always have. Hooray for them - as long as they can keep it up, I'm happy for them, if that's what they want. But like the ant and the grasshopper - I hope they don't come crying to me if they lose everything. Because if they aren't willing to plow and plant and weed and fertilize and harvest and can and hunt and 'feed up' and churn and cook, I just can't provide for them. More - I won't. People's lives, successes, and failures, as well as their recovery from those failures, are dictated by their own decisions.
There isn't enough land in the U.S. for every person living here to farm their own food.

Like it or not, people have to deal with living in cities and suburbs that don't allow for raising livestock (much less slaughtering them), and don't allow enough room to grow food.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:47 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
'Originally Posted by cleatis
'

Im afraid you are so right. Could it be our freedoms, liberty, pursuit of prestige, keeping up with the Jones', and entitlement attitudes.... are having an adverse affect on us ?

'
Oh certianly not! It couldn't be! This is the greatest country on earth. Why, you sir should be hanged for treason. You're being un-American, and should move to China. How not patriotic of you, you filthy hippie communist! You're going to HELL!

:

Old 07-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Oh certianly not! It couldn't be! This is the greatest country on earth. Why, you sir should be hanged for treason. You're being un-American, and should move to China. How not patriotic of you, you filthy hippie communist! You're going to HELL!

:
Well, i never claimed to be a 'politically-correct' Hippie !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates