U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 09:36 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times

Advertisements

that is not the plan. the plan is to put a whole lota wanabees on a lower standard of living and for the SUV rush limbaugh boys to stay right where they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 09:53 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,461,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
that is not the plan. the plan is to put a whole lota wanabees on a lower standard of living and for the SUV rush limbaugh boys to stay right where they are.
Never heard of them before. Who are they?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:08 PM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Are you prepared for a lower standard of living than you have lived in the past?
No.

Nor will we have to live in a lower standard.

Preparation was the key.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
If you thnik teh american dream includes cellphone.compuers ;a home that is 2500+ sq ft'two vehicles;and eating out frequently that is not the american dream . The american dreasm was owning a home'a singlew vehicle ;food for evry meal and then having enouigh obver to apy for medical and so-so dental care.The dream changed and so did the cost. Especailly has we became dependent on enrgy produced by oither countries. That we are going to pay more so tehy can have their dream is a given unlesss we start drill for crude and producing more natural gas . Alternative that will replace even half the enrgy and products of crude are far down the road and will not be any cheaper until the massive research cost and infrastrusture cost are paid to distribute them.Nuclear elctricity is perhaps the easiest to achieve in the sho0ratest time and that is why so many others like France have keep up that increasing use to the tune of producing 70% of their elctricity thru it.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,557,510 times
texdave - Please use a spellchecker. I want to understand what you are saying. I cannot understand what you are trying to say because of the confusion.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:59 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,366,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
texdave - Please use a spellchecker..
Thank you. Thank you!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:32 AM

3,700 posts, read 3,027,760 times
There is one overiding fact regarding credit, it was set up as a supplemental wage fattener. Most people in the fifties were living on their wages, by the sixties, they were beginning to see how their indebted neighbor's were able to have things by signing on the line. Next came the cards, gas, dept stores, direct cash advance, etc. Added to that strung out payment plan was the fact of more Women entering the workforce.

I don't blame those who were out living it up, they were simply responding to our huge growing economy, they were contributing through their purchasing, after all, wasn't that really the dream? We now see the fingers pointing at those who bit off more than they could chew, but I think it was just the way we were, blinging was the foundation of this huge economy we were all buying into, it doesn't matter that some bought big homes while others joined in on the huge explosion of investment wealth.

What does matter is that we can now see that it was a setup, yes, the excess was truly astounding, but the American dream was to get more than the previous generation, more what? More of everything, because that is how we defined success, I know that most of us can remember the smiles on the faces of those who were proudly quoting the rise in their homes equity, as though it was some kind of personal achievment. This newfound wealth was reeling in the money for investment houses and other purveyors of the American dream.

As you drive in the suburban world of strip mall shopping, you can see the problem, a nation of folk's who couldn't or wouldn't get to far without running into another copy of the same rows of the same stores every five miles. These people didn't build this construct, they didn't want their neighborhoods filled with cars and stores, but, they did like the "convenience" of it all. This paradox is played out across America like those drum loops from the disco days, we no longer can support the stretched dollar that credit gave us, in the future we'll have to make some big changes, but what about all those jobs at these redundant outlets of consumer heaven? Are we to think that a scenario of less buying won't crack the hull of the general economy? It isn't that simple, is it? Yes, we will go down with the rest of the world, grasping at solutions while failing to see the real horror, and that is, that we built an entire economy on the premise that we could sustain everyone on the sale of trinkets and beads........

Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM

7,091 posts, read 10,488,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
texdave - Please use a spellchecker. I want to understand what you are saying. I cannot understand what you are trying to say because of the confusion.
I'm sorry, I have to agree...I usually enjoy your additions to what is being discussed when I can understand it, but there are some posts that are so badly spelled or mixed up it's gibberish.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 AM

2,662 posts, read 5,137,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Americans have far too many "wants". We're fat, lazy, spoiled people.

When did it become "a right" to live in a huge house?
When did it become "a right" to drive a fancy car, minivan, SUV and 4x4 truck?
When did it become "a right" to have digital cable TV and cell phones?
When did it become "a right" to eat at fancy restaurants?

America's poor are richer than most of the people in the world. In addition, we've already spent our future, by racking up enormous credit card debts, paying exorbitant amounts of money for houses, and insisting we have to drive new vehicles every few years.

I better stop before I start to rant.
We are comfortable, meaning almost zero debt, eat out a few times a month (Outback, etc), drive cars that are 4 years old and live in a nice townhouse. We also take a vacation once a year, even if it's a short roadtrip. I never considered myself "flashy" or materialistic, but do enjoy a few nice things once in a while. We plan our purchases and if we can't affford something right away, we save for it.

Oh, and I'm far from lazy. I workout 6 times a week and I actually sweat, lol.

In regards to cell phones, well, they are more or less a permanent and somewhat necessary fixture in our society now, so I really can't classify that as a "right" or "want".

I do respect and understand your points. There are indeed those who feel entitiled to certain things without the work and sacrifice required in order to achieve them. However, if someone can afford those things you mentioned and have worked hard, then why begrudge them?

Old 06-08-2009, 11:10 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,694,421 times
Like I was telling my wife soon as we get Leaders that know what their doing we will be able to live like the most Powerful Country in the world.

Tax the crap out of Imports,put people to work making American Made once again.They will have the money to buy quality stuff.The other countries will have to learn to put out better product in order to sell it here.

hillman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates