U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:07 PM

530 posts, read 583,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, you seem to have only one reason for requiring that everyone work. It taxes your imagination to try to think of a way to decide who works and who doesn't. Let me make it easy for you. People who want the basic necessities of life PLUS a lot of luxuries are the ones who will be awarded your privilege of working for the means to splurge opulently on them. Those content with the basic necessities need not work. There. Problem solved. Now you don't have to worry about who works and who doesn't. And I don;t need to worry about my fellow citizens suffering severe enough poverty to see their dignity swirl down the crapper.

Then, we can let members of our democratic society decide whether they "have more, want more" or not. And if they want more, they will create their own labor demand that they fill themselves. Instead of assumning that everybody will succumb to your own personal character defects.

.not just your greedy _____, which, you hate for some strange reason)

Feel welcome to fill in the space with anything you like, I will still hate the greedy ____ "for some strange reason"..
So lets all visit your little utopia...there is no art(because that requires work to lift the brush and brain activity to magine) there would be no food( because no one would bother to chop and plow, water, grow and cultivate, sell, or prepare it). There would be no clothes (because again with the growing, spinning, sewing, marketing or sales). So you'd all basically live naked in the forest, eating off the land, drinking water from streams and wandering from cold to warm climates because no one would built shelter? Or what, you'd pay someone to do it for you? With what money? Irregardless of your utopia we live in a society where work is a necessity. From the time you get up to the time you go to sleep, the vast majortiy of the world does some form of work. If you are independently wealthy and can afford not to work GREAT, good for you. But if you are not, then work is a necessary evil. We already pay our tax dollars to fund those too lazy to do so now. The welfare sysytem in this country is way far abused and needs to shut down. Let everyone survive by their own means, don't want to work, fine by me, starve! Because you choose not to doesn't mean those of us who choose to hould suffer at your expense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or