U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-09-2009, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,435,992 times
Reputation: 735

Advertisements

America is the continent. It is not a country.

United states of America is a sentence, not a name.

Why can't it have a name like Bob or Bill just like every other country?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 AM
 
Location: In a house
5,230 posts, read 7,322,321 times
Reputation: 2558
It does have a name. Its the United States of America.
Which country is it thats named Bob or Bill?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
 
9,198 posts, read 21,163,602 times
Reputation: 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
America is the continent. It is not a country.
No, "North America" is the continent. And there's also South America and, although not a continent, Central America. And South America and Central America are sometimes called "Latin America."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: John & Ken-ville
13,692 posts, read 15,120,333 times
Reputation: 9492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
America is the continent. It is not a country.

United states of America is a sentence, not a name.

Why can't it have a name like Bob or Bill just like every other country?
North America is the continent we share with Canada and Mexico.

The United States is our country name. Which really makes a lot of sense.

United States citizen, or American is the familiar name of people who come from THE UNITED STATES.

What's the problem?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: California
29,613 posts, read 31,923,958 times
Reputation: 24744
USA. That's the nickname anyway.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
 
26,910 posts, read 38,152,457 times
Reputation: 34849
Land of the Free
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,435,992 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
North America is the continent we share with Canada and Mexico.

The United States is our country name. Which really makes a lot of sense.

United States citizen, or American is the familiar name of people who come from THE UNITED STATES.

What's the problem?
Mexico has states and they are united.
Isn't it also a united states?
Mexico is in America, so it's also United states of America.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Chicago- Lawrence and Kedzie/Maywood
2,242 posts, read 5,435,992 times
Reputation: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
It does have a name. Its the United States of America.
Which country is it thats named Bob or Bill?
What in the hell are you talking about?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
 
9,198 posts, read 21,163,602 times
Reputation: 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Mexico has states and they are united.
Isn't it also a united states?
Mexico is in America, so it's also United states of America.
Actually it's the "United Mexican States." (Estados Unidos Mexicanos)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
 
2,221 posts, read 3,113,889 times
Reputation: 767
How about Julio ????
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top