Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 06:37 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times

Advertisements

Totally agree. The problem with Europe is their not having enough sex!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_end_don View Post
No need for flame suit! You at least make rational and thoughtful posts!
The argument "Whites" are disappearing is IMO largely over played. There are definitely low birth rates within many "White" countries and the "White" demographic in North America, but I think it's premature to think they'll disappear!
From an anthropological view point, it would be sad, just the same as any group of people disappearing!
That being said, there are no laws against white men and women doing the horizontal mambo (or variations) and making more white babies. Some people have to stop navel gazing and get on with life!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Turn on a sports talk show and listen to the callers, or listen to athletes being interviewed. Can you tell if a person is black or white by the way they talk?

I'm not making a value judgement. People can talk any way they want. The point is, they DO talk with a style that reflects the culture they grew up in, whether it's black, white or Latino. And I identify people by culture, not by color. The black news anchor on the 6 oclock news talks "white" because he would not be hired if he didn't. There's a pretty good chance that he is, culturally, "white" and hasn't spent very much of his life hanging around a black cultural milieu. If Barack Obama talked Jive, he would not be president. White voters accepted him as white culturally.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Turn on a sports talk show and listen to the callers, or listen to athletes being interviewed. Can you tell if a person is black or white by the way they talk?

I'm not making a value judgement. People can talk any way they want. The point is, they DO talk with a style that reflects the culture they grew up in, whether it's black, white or Latino. And I identify people by culture, not by color. The black news anchor on the 6 oclock news talks "white" because he would not be hired if he didn't. There's a pretty good chance that he is, culturally, "white" and hasn't spent very much of his life hanging around a black cultural milieu. If Barack Obama talked Jive, he would not be president. White voters accepted him as white culturally.
But you still didn't explain how a person talks White. What exactly is that? Give details. Be as elaborate as you can. You have yet to do that. Last time I checked, White people were not monolithic (nor is any other ethnic group). Would I be correct in believing that not all White people talk the same? Given that, does that mean that they are not all really White?

I'm also still unclear about how one comports him/herself as White? Please give details on how this happens.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have no problem with White people being proud of their heritage. There is no joy in watching White people being hyper-apologetic about their existence. No problem with White people having a preference for their children to marry within their own race.

With that being said, White people do not have to fight against negative stereotypes about their own group...there is NO struggle of having an identity of Whiteness.

The problem comes when the "pride" of being White turns into anti-everyone who is not...or White supremacy. That line is typically crossed by those who pretend to profess White pride but are really attempting to harm others who are not White.
If this post does not prove the point the thread poster was trying to make, nothing will.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey123 View Post
But you still didn't explain how a person talks White. What exactly is that? Give details. Be as elaborate as you can. You have yet to do that. Last time I checked, White people were not monolithic (nor is any other ethnic group). Would I be correct in believing that not all White people talk the same? Given that, does that mean that they are not all really White?

I'm also still unclear about how one comports him/herself as White? Please give details on how this happens.
If you don't know that sounds like, go and borrow a radio or a TV from somebody and listen to it. Listen to the mainstream stations or channels, to the speakers who have been educated and are speaking to a general audience. They are speaking White English, because they are speaking the language that has been passed down through generations from the time when nearly all educated Americans were white, and developed a uniform style of speech.

Look in a dictionary. The definitions of words in there are White English. Barack Obama uses words in the dictionary to mean what the dictionary says they mean. Find a book of English grammar. Obama forms his sentences according to those rules. NBA stars do not. That is as much elaboration as I am going to waste on you. Nome sain?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you don't know that sounds like, go and borrow a radio or a TV from somebody and listen to it. Listen to the mainstream stations or channels, to the speakers who have been educated and are speaking to a general audience. They are speaking White English, because they are speaking the language that has been passed down through generations from the time when nearly all educated Americans were white, and developed a uniform style of speech.

Look in a dictionary. The definitions of words in there are White English. Barack Obama uses words in the dictionary to mean what the dictionary says they mean. Find a book of English grammar. Obama forms his sentences according to those rules. NBA stars do not. That is as much elaboration as I am going to waste on you. Nome sain?
Hmm. You still didn't explain how one comports him/herself as White. I'm still waiting for that explanation.

White English? Now, isn't this that same old tired White Superiority argument being manifested in one of its many forms? Let me see: If you speak perfect English, then somehow that has to be a reflection that you are speaking White. There simply can be no other explanation. Of course, we both know that many White people in the U.S. do not speak flawless English (and that includes the educated ones).

Why can't it be the case that more educated people tend to speak English well, and less educated people tend not to speak it as well? And, of course, this is not always the case either.

It is a sad reflection of our U.S. history that we tend to claim "all things good" as being White. In many ways, this reifies (and reinforces) White privilege.

I typically speak English very well. I have heard some people mention that I speak White. My inclination is always to overlook those comments, because I know that the ones making them are speaking out of ignorance. Yet, I've come to realize that the only way to critically challenge this ignorance is to confront it head-on.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 PM

Go back and read my post again. If there is any part of it you don't undersand, ask somebody else to explain it to you.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 PM

709 posts, read 1,767,342 times
Quote:
The problem comes when the "pride" of being White turns into anti-everyone who is not...or White supremacy. That line is typically crossed by those who pretend to profess White pride but are really attempting to harm others who are not White.
Do you have a problem with Black pride groups like the Black Panther Party and the Nation Of Islam who preach hatred against White people.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Why it isn't ok to be white?
Because even white people wanne get a sun tan.

Yanowatamsayin’?

Originally Posted by kovert
Quote:
Totally agree. The problem with Europe is their not having enough sex!!
Whaddaya mean?
I have plenty of sex.
But I also use condoms.

Last edited by Tricky D; 06-19-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 09:32 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post

Whaddaya mean?
I have plenty of sex.
But I also use condoms.
Being the compassionate, humanitarian I am, I selflessly am willing to pledge my soul (along with my body) to help my European brothers and (in particular ) sisters in their efforts at repopulating the great continent and thus insuring the survival of Western civilization.

Last edited by kovert; 06-19-2009 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates