U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 09:35 AM

8,567 posts, read 14,516,394 times

Advertisements

I knew there was a reason why I use condoms.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 AM

17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
Do you have a problem with Black pride groups like the Black Panther Party and the Nation Of Islam who preach hatred against White people.
The Black Panthers were much more about Black empowerment and community self reliannce than being "anti-White". There only issue with White people was the oppression and bigotry that Blacks suffered. The purpose was not to exterminate White people as is the goal of White Pride Neo Nazi and KKK type organizations.

And most Black Americans are completely turned off by the anti-White and anti-Jewish messages of the Nation of Islam.

These groups are about as representative of the feelings of Black America as the KKK and White Supremacy movement are to White Americans. You can not take the views and ideologiy of fringe groups and attempt to present them as the views of the majority.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:54 AM

365 posts, read 1,023,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Being the compassionate, humanitarian I am, I selflessly am willing to pledge my soul (along with my body) to help my European brothers and (in particular ) sisters in their efforts at repopulating the great continent and thus insuring the survival of Western civilization.
What a selfless act! Kudos to you Sir!
Way to take one for the team!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:58 AM

6,940 posts, read 8,875,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
We've established that it is important to be okay with who you are. Why then, should it be important to take pride in what is nothing more than a result of probability? In an ends that was not your doing?
Exactly. EXACTLY!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 PM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
What I find very curious is how so many young white kids try and emulate black and Hispanic culture in the way they dress, talk and the music they listen to. Stuff like "Yo' this and that, the turned around ball caps, saggy baggy clothes, listening to 'gangstah' music etc. I have to wonder if these types have any clue how silly they look. It's not 'cool' to try and be something you are not and never will be ,you know. Clint said it good in Gran Torino, "These guys don't wanna be your 'bro' and I don't blame em'".

Old 06-22-2009, 08:55 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Go back and read my post again. If there is any part of it you don't undersand, ask somebody else to explain it to you.
I think he got it pretty well, actually...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 PM

379 posts, read 514,020 times
It's not about being proud of your race, it's just the word used (White) conjures images of what the media shows like the KKK. However, if you say you're proud to be German, British, Irish, etc, people would think nothing of that. Again, it's just the word used.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
What I find very curious is how so many young white kids try and emulate black and Hispanic culture in the way they dress, talk and the music they listen to. Stuff like "Yo' this and that, the turned around ball caps, saggy baggy clothes, listening to 'gangstah' music etc. I have to wonder if these types have any clue how silly they look. It's not 'cool' to try and be something you are not and never will be ,you know. Clint said it good in Gran Torino, "These guys don't wanna be your 'bro' and I don't blame em'".
What these young White kids are emulating is not "Black" culture or "Latin" culture but the hip hop culture.

Since when is a genre of music or style of dress exclusively designated for one race?

I am trying to be something that I'm not if I decide that I want to learn to cook paella or try to learn flamenco? Is a White person trying to be someone else if they eat sushi and learn to speak Japanese? If an Asian person enjoys jazz or the blues, are they trying to be another race?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,881,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
What these young White kids are emulating is not "Black" culture or "Latin" culture but the hip hop culture.

Since when is a genre of music or style of dress exclusively designated for one race?

I am trying to be something that I'm not if I decide that I want to learn to cook paella or try to learn flamenco? Is a White person trying to be someone else if they eat sushi and learn to speak Japanese? If an Asian person enjoys jazz or the blues, are they trying to be another race?
Very well said!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:08 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,036,503 times
Being white is not a culture. There are tons of white in the U.S. that have no idea what their heritage is. They know they're white. I'm white. My culture is not bluegrass, coal mining, farming, etc. My culture is where my grandparents are from (Europe). My family is bilingual. My grandparents came to this country for opportunities. For work. They grew to love baseball, apple pie and all that. I'm thankful that I'm white because I think it's still a benefit to be White in this country. But I have no ties to Plymouth Rock, Appalachia or the West. My family hasn't been here 100 years. We still cling to our "ethnic" traditions, which are White, but European. Being a family of immigrants, albeit white immigrants. I completely understand why people from other countries risk their lives to move here. For opportunities, just like my grandparents. If you're white, your forefathers came from somewhere else too. So if the Puerto Ricans wants to drive through my city, as they did last week with huge Puerto Ricans flags, so be it. Erasing one's heritage should not be a prerequisite upon moving to the U.S. I think many U.S. born Americans are bothered by it only because they don't know what their heritage is. Chances are if your name is something like Michael McGrath and your family has been here over 100 years. you're probably Scotch-Irish, as is a lot of the U.S. South. So learn about those countries because that's what's in your DNA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates