U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-26-2009, 05:59 PM
 
812 posts, read 2,079,022 times
Reputation: 467

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
What's ironic is Asia itself. It has pretty much burglarized Western culture and is trying to pass it off as its own, like it's something to be proud of. lol They have pretty much hijacked an entire race because their own wasn't strong enough to make something of itself. The nerve.
I absolutely agree. didn't see that coming, did ya? lol

But equally that doesn't negate western culture and you went around a conquerin and pushing doors down, so now you are whining because the tide is not in your favor at the moment. that's the real truth of why you are so upset. lol

though i do strongly agree with you about asians and a lot of western culture. but on the other hand they are using it to improve their country and cooperate with the modern world, trying to advance. also like i said, whites were very adamant about nonwhites adopting western ways including religion yet you are now blaming them which is pretty ****ed up.

i think you are the type of person who is like a white racist who is very narrowminded and focused on just making sure that whites always are on top dominating everyone else. i can understand you being upset at the amount of white worship/copy of western culture by a lot of asians but i don't think you are a team player on the world stage at large. i think you are rather petty and focused on egoism.

 
Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Reputation: 12285
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
I absolutely agree. didn't see that coming, did ya? lol

But equally that doesn't negate western culture and you went around a conquerin and pushing doors down, so now you are whining because the tide is not in your favor at the moment. that's the real truth of why you are so upset. lol

though i do strongly agree with you about asians and a lot of western culture. but on the other hand they are using it to improve their country and cooperate with the modern world, trying to advance. also like i said, whites were very adamant about nonwhites adopting western ways including religion yet you are now blaming them which is pretty ****ed up.

i think you are the type of person who is like a white racist who is very narrowminded and focused on just making sure that whites always are on top dominating everyone else. i can understand you being upset at the amount of white worship/copy of western culture by a lot of asians but i don't think you are a team player on the world stage at large. i think you are rather petty and focused on egoism.
LMAO, 'western culture' sure doesn't have the lock on counquering and pushing down doors now, does it? Asian culture did it's fair share of that as well, and did a thoroughly brutal job of it as well. Therefore, your defaming of 'western culture' on that sole basis, has no merit whatsoever. Every single culture on this planet has had it's fair share of conquerers and despotism, and it seems that all these commonalities shared the idea of racial superiority as a cornerstone of their rationale for making war on their neighbors as well. There is no single culture in our history that is 'more guilty' of this. To state that there is smacks of racism and bigotry in it's own right. Lol, it's all hate at the end of the day, now, ain't it.
 
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM
 
812 posts, read 2,079,022 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LMAO, 'western culture' sure doesn't have the lock on counquering and pushing down doors now, does it? Asian culture did it's fair share of that as well, and did a thoroughly brutal job of it as well. Therefore, your defaming of 'western culture' on that sole basis, has no merit whatsoever. Every single culture on this planet has had it's fair share of conquerers and despotism, and it seems that all these commonalities shared the idea of racial superiority as a cornerstone of their rationale for making war on their neighbors as well. There is no single culture in our history that is 'more guilty' of this. To state that there is smacks of racism and bigotry in it's own right. Lol, it's all hate at the end of the day, now, ain't it.
it's obvious i did state asian culture copying a lot of western culture right now. I've stated that several times on this forum. I criticize where I think asians are at fault. the person who made that post responding to obviously is prejudiced about asians or asian culture. that's what i was responding to. you are taking it out of context as well being 'hateful'. as if no one can tell. LMAO

i can come up with historical data showing that if it wasn't for a lot of eastern ideas and inventions, however primitive by today's standards and insignificant it may be dismissed, the west would not be what it is today without it, especially it's military. as well ghenghis khan did a huge service for the west by opening up trade routes and dying at that time. it actually turned out for the west's advantage.

i never said the west was more guilty but asia was more closed off at a certain point. it was the west who demanded the east open up for trade. it's OBVIOUS this point was brought up because they were so upset at asians copying western culture which is a bigoted statement because it doesn't even acknowledge that the west also has eastern influences. why the hell do i see people doing yoga, eating sushi, watching anime, practicing new age religions and meditation, green tea supplements etc.

you really think i can't tell when someone is a bigot or not including you?? or anyone else on this forum? do you really?

are you that obtuse or dishonest that i don't realize just about every post that person responded to one of my posts was out of context or turned around to defame asian culture or asians in some way which had nothing to do with my post or the topic?? do you think people are THAT STUPID?

I'm not defaming western culture. BUT i actually have as much grounds to as much as the other poster in accusing asians since asian culture traditionally stayed more to itself as well as had squabbles with it's own people whereas western culture was much more genocidal, and 'PUSHING DOWN DOORS' of other cultures. Even ghenghis khan wasn't racist and actually was more tolerant of different religions and peoples than whites were. Get your facts straight!!! You can pretend all you want as if you are some objective poster. I know how you white nationalists are. And this fits in with my earlier observation about the progressive nature of the constitution but an ideal and actual people are two different things. white nationalists believe america belongs to whites, should be under god(christianity) and that whites are the true and only real americans etc. this was perfectly a legitmate and poignant observation in regard to the paradox that is america in the ideals of the constitution and the usual tribalism whether it be between ethnicities or other races such as blacks and slavery. an indication of why race relations are still strained etc. this was turned around to note asia is ironic about western culture. it had no logical basis to that particular point because western culture spreads itself with intent. it does not stay within the confines of the west and it does not build a great wall around themselves or any such thing figuratively or literally.

You really don't think that i realize you are basically chiming in to support the other poster? it's implicit, it's obvious, it's obvious in the way you responded and what you chose to pick out of my post and ignore about the bigoted statement or tone of the other. it's a huge statement to do that in revealing your own bigotry and favoritism. my post was more on target than your opportunistic one.

it makes me happy that it boils people like you that asians are seen as a threat in some way or competition. it just pisses you off and makes you so hateful and convicted inside, doesn't it? that sense of nationalism and white pride fuels your hatred and ego to the hilt doesn't it? and at the end of the day and if you're honest you can't really blame them. if you look at the course of history in relation to today, the west got involved on their own. the opium wars, the colonization etc. interesting you never addressed how the west 'BURGLARIZED' others. yet you respond so self-righteously and pretend to be objective and like you are teaching me something which is contemptible. Even I didn't make such a pompous, erroneous and arrogant statement. LMAO

Last edited by leaana; 07-28-2009 at 05:33 PM..
 
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Obama playing field
716 posts, read 1,867,122 times
Reputation: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
What's ironic is Asia itself. It has pretty much burglarized Western culture and is trying to pass it off as its own, like it's something to be proud of. lol They have pretty much hijacked an entire race because their own wasn't strong enough to make something of itself. The nerve.
Uh huh, like the stupid white americans grabing all the german and jew scientists to make A-bombs to fuel its imperialist movement. And now what do you currently have?? You have:

Mexicans, doing what a normal lazy american cant or wont do, anything laborous? thats right, pass it on to the good ole Mexican.

Indians filling all the I.T job sectors and doctors, physicians that americans cant fill.

Filipino nurses in their droves filling all the highly qualified nursing position that america simply cannot find in its own backyard.

Hows about the outsourcing crap? if america was that great and so self dependant, how comes it cant keep those jobs here?

Hmm, another einstein in our midst.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 AM
 
1,257 posts, read 3,025,754 times
Reputation: 400
Gracie

That's the greatness of America.
All former Empires did the same.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:09 AM
 
27 posts, read 67,103 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Unfortunately, caucasoid settlers in America, once freed from the benign influence of European illustrated governments, have reverted to a "tribal" society based on race.
I see Leo - Hit everyone with a few factual statements with big words and throw in your opinion at the end! Caucasoid settlers? First of all it aint star trek here, you're not impressing anyone with the wording - caucasion or white would work - it doesn't have to rhyme with hemmoroid.

Secondly, and more to the point, it isn't all white people. Example - I seem to remember black communities defending "ebonics" as a language in it's own which was rich in African heritage! (believe Al Sharpton or Jessie Jackson injected their crap into it too)

Ebonics is nothing more than butchered lazy English which assigns alternate meanings to existing words to create a sense of pride and of community amongst the economically disadvantaged, typically black youth of inner cities. The call was for the schools to recognize this as a language and have teachers teach in it! This is an example of (mostly) blacks ostracizing themselves.

In truth it isn't really all race . It is economics. The inner city black population gets along well with white folks who were raised there and are on a similar economic plain. One poster before told of mostly black neighbors that he got along well with as a white guy - that's due to everyone being upper middle class and them being mostly "Huxtable families" (after the cosby show about a black family anyone would be proud to have as a neighbor). In the south where I'm originally from (a Virginia trailer park) we didn't see race because we were all poor! (I actually see more racism in suburban NJ now then I did 20 yrs ago in VA!)

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's dream was of a world where one would be judged "Not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"

You can't legislate that. Affirmative action laws and racial quotas for school admissions and hiring are inherently unconstitutional. Moreover these policies create a sense of bitterness amongst white folks like myself, and lead to disrespect for black graduates as it is assumed that standards were lowered or preferential treatment granted to allow them to graduate (whether that is true or not). These policies lead to seperation. They change attitudes the wrong way! Progress is not found in statistics, it is found in attitudes! Change attitudes and statistics will follow!

What we need is to quit with the accusations of racism, and the throwing of a pity party every time we don't like something (listening black people?) and attempts to legislate everything (listening Washington?) and each choose to respect one another and judge based on the reality rather than our assumptions (listening white people?).

We all have a roll to play. And we individually need to be responsible. Don't count on Barack to lead the way (hes too busy butchering healthcare)

Race relations could improve 100% overnight if everyone decided to let it.

I await the barage of dissenters I'm likely to get, and will try to answer criticism as politely and professionaly as I can!
 
Old 07-29-2009, 04:27 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,236,543 times
Reputation: 6657
As I recall people who are white tend to have problems with skin cancer and blindness. In nations like Tanzania those born white are sometimes attacked as part of an odd/occult healing practice. Even without that problem the whites often have a difficult life in Tanzania due to it being sunny. Some also feel whites are stereotypes in things like "The Matrix" as ghostly specters or ghouls. "The Grim Reaper" is sometimes portrayed as a ghostly white figure rather than as a skeleton. "The Da Vinci Code" was also seen as perpetuating the "evil Albino" mythos. That one of the most heroic white characters "Powder" was in a film by a convicted pedophile maybe didn't help. So "it's not okay to be white" likely comes from a mix of the health problems associated with albinism and the cultural image of death as a pale specter. Still there are efforts to raise awareness and sympathy in Africa. I read Tanzania gave white/albino people free cell-phones so they can call someone if they're being attacked. I imagine in a country like Tanzania free cell-phones is a neater thing than it is here.

Also the more pinkish-colored European descendants, like myself, are often referred to as "white." Usually they/we aren't actually white unless we've experienced a massive loss of blood or other ailment. Still this kind of "white people" seemed to be deemed "okay" in many to most cases. Reese Witherspoon is one of the best-liked celebrities in the US according to a study last year. Witherspoon is very much European-descended, likely even of substantial English ancestry. Most of the best-loved ex-Presidents or religious leaders in the US are also European-American.

Reese Witherspoon tops list of most-liked celebs | Entertainment | Reuters

Apologies if this has been dealt with before.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 AM
 
27 posts, read 67,103 times
Reputation: 39
Alot of talk about Asians as a race before. Wanted to weigh in.

Asians are SMART! Isn't that the #1 assumption?

Remember when you got an A or even a B and you got a gold star on the calander? Remember having to do your homework for like 45min before you went out to play?

You probably assume your asian counterparts were soooo smart they didn't have to study and just got a automatic A+. Not true!

When the generation came here and opened the Dry Cleaners, Laundromat, or chinese food resturant (cooking and cleaning for the white people) they reinforced the value of hard work and education. Thus study habits ran deep in the culture. (like 3hrs in a night!)

Every Asian person isn't a Genius. There are stupid asians! However they are always set aside from all minorities or lumped with white people - cause they're supposed to get an A+ - it's expected! What a bar! Can you imagine if that was expected all the time? What a weight on your shoulders!

So you see theres a historical reason why Asians own resturants and cleaners. Theres a practical reason that they are so often academic acheivers. ..............I would like to see some statistics on percentage of car accidents asians are involved in...... As we've seen stereotypes are often based at least somwhat in historical fact.
 
Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 AM
 
812 posts, read 2,079,022 times
Reputation: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by PompLks View Post
Alot of talk about Asians as a race before. Wanted to weigh in.

Asians are SMART! Isn't that the #1 assumption?

Remember when you got an A or even a B and you got a gold star on the calander? Remember having to do your homework for like 45min before you went out to play?

You probably assume your asian counterparts were soooo smart they didn't have to study and just got a automatic A+. Not true!

When the generation came here and opened the Dry Cleaners, Laundromat, or chinese food resturant (cooking and cleaning for the white people) they reinforced the value of hard work and education. Thus study habits ran deep in the culture. (like 3hrs in a night!)

Every Asian person isn't a Genius. There are stupid asians! However they are always set aside from all minorities or lumped with white people - cause they're supposed to get an A+ - it's expected! What a bar! Can you imagine if that was expected all the time? What a weight on your shoulders!

So you see theres a historical reason why Asians own resturants and cleaners. Theres a practical reason that they are so often academic acheivers. ..............I would like to see some statistics on percentage of car accidents asians are involved in...... As we've seen stereotypes are often based at least somwhat in historical fact.
what makes you think asians are smarter? what makes you think whites are smarter? the person with one of the most highest iq's in the world is a korean guy who is just an adjunct professor of a little college in korea. you would think someone like that would have achieved something great by now.

achievement and the nature of it has as much to do with personality characteristics as it does with iq.

btw, the reason why asians historically opened such businesses is because they were discriminated against positions and employment. of course things have changed. the hard work ethic is not exclusive to asian-americans and of course not all asians are smart. lol

the thing is though even those who study and are successful have some ability. you can't study your way to success either. that's bull**** because you have to be able to understand complex concepts. this doesn't mean others aren't as smart or smarter, it just means that work plus ability usually both play a role in success.
 
Old 07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
 
Location: 48205
382 posts, read 596,084 times
Reputation: 325
Unfortunately, "white pride" is typically synonymous with hatred of other groups of people; deep-seated hatred that sometimes leads to murder. Other ethnic groups can celebrate their accomplishments and be proud of their achievements w/o using such things as a catalyst for, or justification to, hate and brutalize others.I've heard some whites say they're ashamed of being white because of such atrocities as slavery. I can understand their guilty feelings to some degree. If I were white, I would probably be ashamed of the oppression of others; lynching and racial biases/injustices administered against minorities; the cont'd indoctrination of hatred to innocent children; unwarranted hatred of other groups; taking credit for other groups' inventions, artistic creations/contributions; denying literacy to certain groups, etc. Of course, I'm generalizing; that's not to say all whites are guilty of such feelings and behaviors. Considering my ethics, it would just be difficult to process and stomach it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top