Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 04:42 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,256,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Get this right, Its Filipinos with an "F" as a means to describe one's ethenticity. Philippines is the name of the Country.

Watch the episodes, pay attention to part 3 where Filipinos are regarded as NEGROS because of our dark complexions.

YouTube - Spanish American War the Philippines and Filipino Genocide1

This is the legacy of colonialism, where it was portrayed that if your of dark complexion you would be from an inferior gene pool. I spit at the faces who think like this, ive ridiculed them in public and i love it!!

There have been many efforts to reverse this mindless trend, only the elite who do their darnest to attain pale complexion keep this crab mentality but their days are all but numbered and they know it. Yes, there are still who think like this to this day, but they are few between. We're just waiting for another revolution to eradicate it once and for all and undo what was bestowed upon us from your forefathers!! unfortunately american meddling to this day, holds back that dream.

You now have communists and islam rebellion on the rise to smoke the country of an American backed government. And whats alarming is that, both who cant stand each other are willing to put their differences aside for what they hope, will tilt the balance. Are you learning anything yet??
Although I sympathize, one must always be careful not to impose 2009 sensibilities to earlier times (in this case 11 decades earlier). This especially goes to anything Spanish.

Red wine in parts of Spain is called "vino negro." Darker skin from suntanning is referred to informally as "negro." In the Philippines on the 1890s, I am sure lighter and darker skinned Filipinos were referred to as "blancos" and "negros."

This is not to say that Americans were not demeaning, condescending, or racist--which if true, would be very sad given the great independent spirit of the Filipinos--but be careful to key off of modern hot button interpretations of words that in proper context were not seen as controversial whatsoever.

S.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:30 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,423,158 times
Sand

Negritos are a race in Phillipines that descend from the original inhabitants of the island. They have no relation with the rest of mongoloid or pure Chinese Filipinos. In fact, they don't belong to the black race, they are related to Australian aborigines.

They were called "negritos" (little black people) by Spanish explorers because they thought the were blacks.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 AM

18,123 posts, read 15,513,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Sand

Negritos are a race in Phillipines that descend from the original inhabitants of the island. They have no relation with the rest of mongoloid or pure Chinese Filipinos. In fact, they don't belong to the black race, they are related to Australian aborigines.

They were called "negritos" (little black people) by Spanish explorers because they thought the were blacks.
Quite right. They are a native people displaced by Filipino culture. Not unlike, at all, the American Indian. Situation wise. They are tribal, have their own language and culture ,and I'll tell ya, know the jungle like the backs of their hands. They were the Navy's top instructors in the JEST program. Lol, many a Naval aviator came out of the jungle a changed man after trying to keep up with a couple Negritos for a week. LMAO, I remember one group that came through the program, pilots from the Big E. They set up a couple jeep loads of beer and steaks to be in the jungle for them during JEST. My Dad got wind of this and planted a bug in Tommy's ear. Told him him to make sure those jeeps didn't get their cargo out and the Negritos could have whatever was in them. The drivers were found , trussed up and quite spooked, at the 'rendevous' point, and the jeeps were quite empty. Party in Negritoland that night! I would have loved to have seen those guys faces. Priceless.

Last edited by NVplumber; 08-04-2009 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 AM

122 posts, read 223,569 times
Who the **** is proud of their race? You never chose it. Rrrrrrr...

Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM

12,881 posts, read 13,544,694 times
This question has perplexed me since I was a child and knew that my grandfather ,one of nine siblings , was one of the only ones to designate himself as a "negro" on any official document. Unlike his brothers whom he kept in touch with, he married a black woman and became black. while others in his family Passed for white. What was so wrong with being white in 1900 for a man who had a choice?

Last edited by thriftylefty; 08-04-2009 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
Sand

Leo,
But that exactly is my point.

In the English language, the term Negro is steeped in such political symbolism so as to render it virtually impossible to discuss.

Virtually no Africans in Spain in the 19th century. Spanaiards arrive in the philippines. The most dark skinned are "negro." This is peffectly natural. They were not makign a scienfitic determination.

Same goes for those who work in the South Pacific when referring to Southern Indians. Darker skin than jsut about all those of African descent in the US.

How about a number of Melanesians? Clearly, they are among the early waves of migrants from Africa.

In 2009-speak, we have the research and knowledge to classify them properly as to their placement on the post-African diaspora to which we all belong. But in the late 19th century? We were WAY down on the learning curve as to bioanthropology--in an age of virtual witchcraft and ignorance.

S.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
This question has perplexed me since I was a child and knew that my grandfather ,one of nine siblings , was one of the only ones to designate himself as a "negro" on any official document. Unlike his brothers whom he kept in touch with, he married a black woman and became black. while others in his family Passed for white. What was so wrong with being white in 1900 for a man who had a choice?
Maybe he asked himself, "What is wrong with identifying with your beloved spouse?" especially given the racial eliminate of 1900? Pretty brave if you ask me.

S.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 PM

30 posts, read 74,192 times
I think people should stop being pround to be anything but HUMAN cause that is what we all are, I really get tired of prejudices which MAINLY come from the SO called minorities who are prejudice against whites who are now the minority! The mexicans have it easy when other cultures came to America We didn't start filling everything with GERMAN writing FRENCH writing we didn't force everyone living here to change just cause a new culture came in! "Black" people STILL cry about how THEY were prosacuted BIG DEAL so where the INDIANS, THE IRISH AND everyone else that wasn't ENGLISH OR CHRISTIAN and you don't see an INDIAN PRESIDENT do ya so get over it! When the world looks at one another and doesn't say WHITES are the best, AMERICA is the best or (INSERT culture of your choice) and just say we are human and there fore WE ALL ROCK no matter what country, race, religion or FAVORITE MUSIC (heheh) we will then be truly the BEST!

Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,468,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeow View Post
I think people should stop being pround to be anything but HUMAN cause that is what we all are, I really get tired of prejudices which MAINLY come from the SO called minorities who are prejudice against whites who are now the minority!
I'm with you 100% on the de-emphasis of race. As to "whites who are now in the minority," let's just say I think your statistics could be a little more accurate.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 AM

341 posts, read 686,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatLoaf_Enchilada View Post
Who the **** is proud of their race? You never chose it. Rrrrrrr...
maybe i'm just missing something here. But I think everyone should be proud of who and what they are. If your black you should be proud of that. Same with other races, you should be proud of adversity that has been overcome. I was married to a person of another race and he was ashamed of it. His self asteem was low because of it. He would not use his native language. He would of been a much happier person had he embraced his race and been proud. And maybe proud is not the best term, but it's the best one I could come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates