U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 12:01 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,482,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
maybe i'm just missing something here. But I think everyone should be proud of who and what they are. If your black you should be proud of that. Same with other races, you should be proud of adversity that has been overcome. I was married to a person of another race and he was ashamed of it. His self asteem was low because of it. He would not use his native language. He would of been a much happier person had he embraced his race and been proud. And maybe proud is not the best term, but it's the best one I could come up with.
I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't think that any of us should be ashamed of nor proud of something that we have no control over.

I have no reason to be proud of the fact that I'm 6'1". Nor should I be ashamed of it.

On the other hand, if I had been 400 lbs, and was now down to 200 lbs, I think that'd be something to be proud of.

So in a way, I don't see how any of us can be either proud or ashamed of our race. We have no control over it. It's just who and what we are.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:53 PM
miu

16,488 posts, read 33,459,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I don't think that any of us should be ashamed of nor proud of something that we have no control over.

I have no reason to be proud of the fact that I'm 6'1". Nor should I be ashamed of it.

On the other hand, if I had been 400 lbs, and was now down to 200 lbs, I think that'd be something to be proud of.

So in a way, I don't see how any of us can be either proud or ashamed of our race. We have no control over it. It's just who and what we are.
Is it okay for me to be very pleased with the human being I turned out to be? I love the way my brain functions. And at 50, my body is holding out very well. My only wish is that I wasn't nearsighted, but since no one is perfect, I can live with the way I am.

I've never had any wish to trade bodies or places with anyone else. I never wanted to look like a super model and have a lot of unwanted male attention. I enjoy my privacy. All I need is one special guy to love me at a time. And I don't need millions of dollars to make me happy.

So no pride here, just total acceptance and contentment with who I am.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,482,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Is it okay for me to be very pleased with the human being I turned out to be? I love the way my brain functions. And at 50, my body is holding out very well. My only wish is that I wasn't nearsighted, but since no one is perfect, I can live with the way I am.

I've never had any wish to trade bodies or places with anyone else. I never wanted to look like a super model and have a lot of unwanted male attention. I enjoy my privacy. All I need is one special guy to love me at a time. And I don't need millions of dollars to make me happy.

So no pride here, just total acceptance and contentment with who I am.
Right.

My point was simply that it makes no sense to be proud or ashamed of something we have absolutely no control over. Race is one such thing.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:11 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,640,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
How come you can be proud to be Asian
Hispanic
Black
Gay
But if you're proud to be white you are considered prejudice.
How come if your Asian,Black,Hispanic and you want your children to marry within their own race you are considered proud, but if you're white and want your child to marry another white you are considered prejudice?
I think anyone who claims they are proud to be X is racist. But people will continue to make arbitrary links to other people that have done great things.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 AM

43 posts, read 97,938 times
Wow 80% of white Americans are stupid. That my dear is quite a generalization. Were did you start your travels in America? How many states have you been to? How many white people did you actually spend time with while you were visiting? You must be exhausted because that is alot and I mean alot of people to meet and not only meet but chat with long enough to figure out they are stupid. Wow, you must have alot of frequent flyer miles, or do you walk all that way with a giant cross on your back. Either way good for you on spreading the love, keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Hate of americans is too general for me, i would put to one side the hispanics, blacks, asians to one side and a good 20% of whites who believe in equal respect and honor (Late President Reagan) in that list, yes there are some good white americans, whilst the remaining 80% are by and large, well, really stupid white americans.

Just for the record and ill only say this once, i come from the Mangyan tribe, look it up, you'll see a lot of similarities to the negritos accept we dont have fine curly locks. And yeah, there is descrimination from the wide general public, because? well, we are very dark complexion. But as oppossed being upset towards them, i decided to look at the bigger picture. Looked at the cause!!

You really think all Filipinos are Passive? perhaps for a time, many moons ago, you'd be right to think so. But like everything, times have changed, even more so for the younger generations of Filipinos, including moi.

Filipinos are now at a crossroad, with every passing day brings clarity to the much clouded picture (thanks to the colonialist) we starting to figure out who we really are and who really are our real friends.

You and your buddies all too happy to burry the hatchet and come out with bashfull meaningless words like, "Ohh that happened many many years ago, get over it".

Ohh yeah, when will the good us of a stop meddling with Philippine affairs?? even after so many people that have died during the occupation and oppression, america still doesnt have the intelect or morales in keeping out its nose where it doesnt belong!! Im hoping the Obama administration brings all but an end to what the late stupid bush was doing and the legacy of his predacessors, Meddling.

Read up on this.

Shultz and the 'Hit Men' Destroyed the Philippines

Old 09-26-2009, 04:22 AM

160 posts, read 264,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
One thing that always strikes me when I am traveling in the third world---how ugly European women are. Compared to the Asians, Africans and South Americans, the women from European countries have lousy complexions, stringy hair, poor posture, heavy gait, clumsy gestures, they're overweight, they dress frumpy and look ridiculous when they try to wear native dress.
You simply have bad taste. White people in general are the most attractive race.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:53 PM

13 posts, read 38,984 times
I've never had a problem being proud that I'm white. I'm you're basic Western, Southern, and Eastern European mutt that's fishbelly white with several generations in America. No one's ever said to me and I've never seen someone say, "Stop that St. Patrick's Day fest/Oktoberfest/Italian Heritage event and quit being proud!" I've always lived in very diverse areas, so I've had people of other backgrounds ask questions or wonder what's up, but never someone telling me I should be ashamed to celebrate my heritage because I'm white.

Though in your example, you cite "gay" as being okay for being proud; do gay white people spend their days both proud and ashamed on a rotating schedule?

Actually, I'd rather have everyone share and celebrate their culture/ethnicity/heritage. I don't get to travel much, so it's interesting when someone decides to have an event that celebrates their heritage.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:35 PM

871 posts, read 1,415,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88
One thing that always strikes me when I am traveling in the third world---how ugly European women are. Compared to the Asians, Africans and South Americans, the women from European countries have lousy complexions, stringy hair, poor posture, heavy gait, clumsy gestures, they're overweight, they dress frumpy and look ridiculous when they try to wear native dress.
This is rude and false because not all european women look or act that way, for all i know you could be describing a lot of american women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparaciii View Post
You simply have bad taste. White people in general are the most attractive race.

This is actually a racist statement but so common and there are others like it that no one says anything about it no matter what people may buy into.

So in answer to the op, this is why there is backlash is because of white priviledge and power that continues to override others in myriads of ways, some legitimate but a lot not legitimate even though accepted.

If "white" people are indeed the most attractive race, even in "general", then I wouldn't see or consider more than three-quarters average to ugly in any society which they often are. Even pockets of groups can be more attractive, maybe such as swedish young people but not all whites, just as teenage south koreans as a group are extremely attractive etc but not all asians etc and different groups have different features among ethnicities. for instance, for whites and nonasians, usually tall polynesians are more attractive to them because they have the larger size but also the rounder eyes etc. this is not an indication of actual beauty but personal taste, even if others agree of your race and not of your race.

Last edited by rory00; 09-28-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 AM

8 posts, read 12,453 times
It is OK to be white, and even be proud of it. Remember Whites are human beings like everyone else,the problem is not the pride,see, it's when the pride drives you to think that you are 'better' or 'superior' than others and drives to discriminate and commit violence(e.g.KKK,NEO-NAZIS,APARTHEID police) against people of other races or ethnic origins or skin colors.However, what is race? see! Skin color cannot always be a determinant of race,altough it's so ingrained in people's mind, especially those of Anglo-Saxon societies, such the US,South Africa,Australia etc...For those who don't know, in Africa there are many people who are albinos born from pure African parents but having a very pale skin and blue or green, what race are they then?See race is a ridiculous concept too. But it's Ok to be white!

Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 AM

316 posts, read 932,217 times
Let's take a different spin here - ever consider why no 'white pride' is because the other races feel that the white people are the ones that have over judged (quite evident in these posts), over fixed everything, and over turned everything?

Not that I'm picking a politial side here but whites put Bush in the White House, not that I think he totally screwed up the economy...but whites did (for the most part). Look at other threads, there is a definite arogance...and it comes from the white bread not the rye. Healthcare - over judging, over compensating white folk. Nancy Pelosi .,...nevermind that's too easy a mark.

Sometimes you have to step outside yourself to take a real honest look at what is going on. I just see Americans - yea the white ones - creating more crap than this country needs....and before you argue this point...I doubt it was some kid in the hood that started the text message while driving thing, or even test messaging in general. Nor did he think the house he bought in 1999 for $150,000 was worth 'magically' $400,000 in 2005, and then that he should by a $800,000 house he can't afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates