U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM

199 posts, read 570,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I guess it is not necessary because whites are the ones credited with much of the innovation, and modern technology. White people include the world's most physically attractive as well. Even other races improve their looks when mixed with whites. Being proud is so silly though.
HA HA HA what history book are you reading? Who told you whites are most beautiful, who told you all technological innovations only belong to whites? This is what being prejudiced means. You are truly very ignorant.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM

199 posts, read 570,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissy View Post
I don't like any racial pride. It's stupid. People just use it as an excuse to claim that they are better than others. White pride, black pride, asian pride, hispanic pride, and any other pride has to go!
I agree...being unashamed of your roots or your origin, that is a little bit different though.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:18 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,882,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Biologically there's no such thing.
I can buy the argument that race is not a biological reality. However, it is definitely a "social" reality. You just have to look at the US historically (and currently) to see that we ascribe differential social meaning to racial categories. Oftentimes, this gets manifested in differential allocations of power and privileges. Indeed, this differential social meaning has made racial categorization very real in the US.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:27 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Quote:
Biologically there's no such thing.
That is absolutist statement that no biologist would ever make unless he sold out to political correctness.

The "theory" that there is no such thing as race is no better founded than the "theory" that there is no such thing as evolution, and is based on exactly the same kinds of external societal pressures placed on individual biologists.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-10-2009 at 04:40 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,056,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
That is absolutist statement that no biologist would ever make unless he sold out to political correctness.

The "theory" that there is no such thing as race is no better founded than the "theory" that there is no such thing as evolution, and is based on exactly the same kinds of external societal pressures placed on individual biologists.
No, the other poster is right. There is no such thing as race biologically.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:05 PM

8,293 posts, read 22,486,190 times
Hey - I'm white, and I'm fine with it.

I don't suppose I'm proud of it, because it's not something I chose or accomplished.

On the other hand I'm not ashamed of it, for the same reasons I'm not proud of it.

So big deal...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
How come you can be proud to be Asian
Hispanic
Black
Gay
But if you're proud to be white you are considered prejudice.
How come if your Asian,Black,Hispanic and you want your children to marry within their own race you are considered proud, but if you're white and want your child to marry another white you are considered prejudice?
In all fairness: there is no Hispanic race----------if anything, 'Hispanic/Latino' are de facto code words for (usually) Mestizos who cling to an archaic form of Spanish culture.

Needless to say: my 'White guilt' died a while back for a number of reasons.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
One thing that always strikes me when I am traveling in the third world---how ugly European women are. Compared to the Asians, Africans and South Americans, the women from European countries have lousy complexions, stringy hair, poor posture, heavy gait, clumsy gestures, they're overweight, they dress frumpy and look ridiculous when they try to wear native dress.
Stereotyping much?

Here in the USA: Mestizo (Hispanic) or Black women are either homely or quite attractive............there does not seem to be a middle ground.

Besides; if discussing Argentina-----------it is 97% White, racially speaking.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,484,664 times
im not white but it would seem whoever got the money and chicks is fair game.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
The entire concept of talking about race and ability is a subterfuge and a distraction from what is important. In the United States we are pledged to treat people as individuals. Using inconsequential differences among group averages as the basis for the treatment of an individual is abhorrent.

In the case of some minorities, like African Americans, where there was several hundred years of institutional discrimination, the courts decided that remedial action was warranted. The fact that we now have our first president with black roots shows that the process was needed and is working.
Flip side: arguably the most successful socio-economic group in the USA today are Blacks (and their US born children) who immigrated freely from Africa.

Once the Jim Crow laws went away; natural selection kicked in hence folks like Colin Powell, Tiger, Obama, Oprah, etc. in positions of real power and/or influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates