U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 07:50 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

2) Cut, not increase federal funding, for schools not cutting it. Show me some instances where throwing money at the problem has done any good.

3) School vouchers so parents can choose which schools are best and to make the schools more competitive forcing the bad schools that have money poured into them, to die the death they deserve.

5) Pay parents to homeschool their kids if parents meet certain standards. If small class sizes are ideal then REALLY SMALL class sizes should be even better. The pay is to compensate them, at least a little, for staying home from work. If Department of Education sticks their bureaucratic nose in it, forget I mentioned it.

7) Put more businessmen and women on the Boards of Education, than educators. .
I agree with some of what you say, but not all.

2) If the purpose of general education is to make America a better place, then America (not the individual students) ought to pay for that benefit. Making students pay themselves for college education doesnt revalue a degree, it elitizes those who have a chance to get one.

3) It makes no ecomonic sense to drive existing schools out of business and require new ones to contruct new buildings. Schools are expensive infrastructure.

5) you want the government to pay parents to homeschool, but not for college. That's a contradiction in economic philosophy.

7) Voters put people on school boards.

I disagree with your undertone that "preparing kids to make money" is the objective of education. I always thought education was an objective in itself. In fact, most college graduate recruiting is done by employers who want to train well-educated people to be good company men, and don't want people who "already know" how to do things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 04:11 PM

517 posts, read 2,241,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
1)
b) Eliminate all remedial college classes for incoming colege freshman. If their high schools just pushed them through to increase graduation rates, send them back to high school for the remedial classes they need for college and publish the statistics so we know which high schools are churning them out, stupid.
Remedial college classes are pure money making for the colleges. Students pay the same fees but get no credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or