Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:10 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

If it's such a good idea, why do you have to bribe people to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Make up your mind.

First, you said: "1. Force everyone to pay $1,000 a year, whether they get health insurance of not, to bail out the the insurance industry (the only industry that's not in trouble)."

NOW, you said: "Everybody pays the $1,000. It can either be a down payment on a private health insurance plan, or a fine for not paying it to a private insurance company."

See the difference??

]
If you have this much difficulty with simple concepts, how do you expect to deal with hard ones.

Look. Everybody has to pay the first thousand dollars, right? It's either a quarter of their health insurance (the part that goes to insurance companies profits, advertising and wasted overhead), or it goes as the fine. Nevertheless, everybody pays it, and it's a thousand bucks. Everybody. Unless the handlers actually do work out some plan to help the lazy/stupid that you are so fond of casstigating. If you still don't get it, ask somebody else.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:32 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you have this much difficulty with simple concepts, how do you expect to deal with hard ones.
It's not simple concepts that give me difficulty - it's simple people.

Quote:
Look. Everybody has to pay the first thousand dollars, right?
No, wrong again. I admit it wouldn't cover much, but if I switched to the cheapest plan available to me, my annual premium would be less than $1K.

Quote:
Unless the handlers actually do work out some plan to help the lazy/stupid that you are so fond of casstigating. If you still don't get it, ask somebody else.
You might be thinking of someone else. And believe me, I'm not looking to you to help me understand a thing.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i love mr obama, but vouchers wont make the unemployed buy houses and cars.
the gap between the disenfranchised and the elite is widening like the grande canyon at warp 9.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
The "cash for clunkers" plan is sleight of hand. Who owns a qualifying vehicle AND can afford/wants a brand new car???

Owning a vehicle of the age that qualifies suggests two scenarios: 1) Owner cannot afford more, 2) Owner is frugal and knows about depreciation.

I drive a 1994 Isuzu Trooper and just rolled 200,000 miles. It runs perfectly. Paid off for a long time. Why would I purchase a $25-45k NEW car??
Actaully the clunker paln was done by the state here in Texas. The purpose was to get many of the high polluting vehicles off the roadway as they contribute so much to it. It was very successful and the money that was alotted ranout pretty quickly. It allowed some to get a new vehicle and took alot of clunkers off the roadway.People con themselves into believing that electric and hydrogen vehicles are just around the corner when they will be expensive;take tons of new infratructure and have their own pollution problems like battery disposal ansd the electric grind. The main thing is they won't be cheap ;so this plan makes some sense;especially when you look at the rest of the stimulus much of which does nothing for the common man really. I'd much rather see some mother with kids riding down the highway in a new corrola say than some junker with the wheels about to fall off and burning more oil than gas.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I admit it wouldn't cover much, but if I switched to the cheapest plan available to me, my annual premium would be less than $1K.

Your plan would pay according to a per-condition schedule, and would NEVER pay more than 10% of your actual billed cost, no pre-existing conditions at all, and pre-existing would include anything new that came up the first year, and as soon as they had you hooked, your premiums would be at least doubled within 2 or 3 years and you'd still have no real coverage for anything. I've known people who had that plan. You'd be better off paying the $1,000 fine. At least, it would still be $1,000 each year, instead of escalating.

Anyway this thread is about the car czar, which is going to be just another punishment heaped onto the shoulders of those who would dare to be poor.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-04-2009 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-05-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Your plan would pay according to a per-condition schedule, and would NEVER pay more than 10% of your actual billed cost, no pre-existing conditions at all, and pre-existing would include anything new that came up the first year, and as soon as they had you hooked, your premiums would be at least doubled within 2 or 3 years and you'd still have no real coverage for anything. I've known people who had that plan. You'd be better off paying the $1,000 fine. At least, it would still be $1,000 each year, instead of escalating.
Wrong yet again. You've "known people who have had that plan", eh? Fine - tell me exactly what plan I'm talking about.

Come on. You can do it.

Actually, you have multiple opportunities to be right, since there are at least two fee-for-service plans and several HMOs where my annual premium would be less than $1000. So, which one are you talking about?

Quote:
Anyway this thread is about the car czar, which is going to be just another punishment heaped onto the shoulders of those who would dare to be poor.
Yes, very good - the thread is about the "cash for clunkers" program. And just one of the pearls of wisdom you've contributed to the thread:

Quote:
Force every driver to buy a new car, to bail out the auto industry.
Which, of course, is wrong.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:03 AM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtur88
Force every driver to buy a new car, to bail out the auto industry.

Originally Posted by GreenGene
Which, of course, is wrong.
And, of course, you know it to be wrong... because?

Not all of us buy into the hype. If you wish to swallow the rhetoric from DC, then fine. So far it's been 100% accurate and transparent, right?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 AM

Watch and see. The whole objective is to get car production back up to speed. It is a fact that the vouchers are valid only against the purchase of a NEW car. Which compels participants to not simply replace their old clunker, but to buy a new one.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And, of course, you know it to be wrong... because?
How do I know that the statement "Force every driver to buy a new car, to bail out the auto industry" is wrong? I've read the bill. Have you? There is no, repeat no, provision in the bill that requires all drivers to buy a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates