U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 06:38 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,236,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
like... and names please.
Several attempts at treating strokes or diabetes. That some things that can work, or be done, on mice don't work on us is pretty much common knowledge. So much so I'm wondering if you're pulling my leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM

2,782 posts, read 3,637,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Several attempts at treating strokes or diabetes. That some things that can work, or be done, on mice don't work on us is pretty much common knowledge. So much so I'm wondering if you're pulling my leg.
DNA examples please.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
DNA examples please.
I see you're not pulling my leg, you really are just ignorant.

Okay

genome.gov | 2002 Release: The Mouse Genome And The Measure of Man

Meet the complete mouse -- whole mouse genome sequence published

The first talks more about similarities between our genomes, but both point out differences. Maybe that will help. I could also look for some biology books for you to read.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I see you're not pulling my leg, you really are just ignorant.

Okay

genome.gov | 2002 Release: The Mouse Genome And The Measure of Man

Meet the complete mouse -- whole mouse genome sequence published

The first talks more about similarities between our genomes, but both point out differences. Maybe that will help. I could also look for some biology books for you to read.
I like how you keep pretending like I am the ignorant one. If we can grow something from mouse DNA we can do it with humans. We are made up of the same molecules that make up our DNA.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
I like how you keep pretending like I am the ignorant one.
It's not pretending, I sincerely believe/know you are the ignorant one. That you just repeat the same thing over and over, while I give examples why you're wrong, just aids that.

We have not cloned a human. It hasn't happened. Considering regimes like China or Singapore it seems unlikely to me that ethical considerations are the only hold up.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:24 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:

We have not cloned a human. It hasn't happened. Considering regimes like China or Singapore it seems unlikely to me that ethical considerations are the only hold up.
What would it matter if we DID clone a human? A clone is, in effect, an identical twin who is not of the same age. How could it possibly affect anybody's life to have an identical twin somewhere? How could it possibly affect society of a lot of people had identical twins?

If some authority determined that I was so superior that several of me would be desirable, what is the negative ethical consideration to that?

Regimes like Singapore? The only reason I am not living in Singapore right now is because the cost of living is too high for my retirement income. Otherwise it would be my first choice---possibly the best country in the world to live in. And most people who do live in Singapore see it the same way.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Singapore has many good qualities, but it's not fully a democracy. Also it's been less concerned on "bioethic" type issues. They encouraged something like eugenics at one point. That's all I meant. It's wealthy and healthy with nice clean hotels.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:03 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Quote:
Singapore has many good qualities, but it's not fully a democracy. Also it's been less concerned on "bioethic" type issues. They encouraged something like eugenics at one point. That's all I meant. It's wealthy and healthy with nice clean hotels.
It looks to me like Singapore has been exemplary in bioethic type issues, having created a globally-recognized Bioethics Advisory Committee, to face issues that in most countries (including the USA) have just been left to radicals to scream at each other about, creating more heat than light.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 PM

Maybe I was unfair to them, maybe.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
It's not pretending, I sincerely believe/know you are the ignorant one. That you just repeat the same thing over and over, while I give examples why you're wrong, just aids that.

No one has drop a hydrogen bomb on a city, it doesn't mean it can't be done

I have to keep repeating myself, because your "examples" are insufficient at disproving my points.

You want to claim that a handful of cells are the same as a human being, then you need to prove it.
Every time a female has her period, and lets that egg "die", she has committed murder?
Every girl who takes a birth control which prevents the embryo from attaching to the uterus, she has committed murder?

You have no logical secular reasons to draw the line that you have.

This
http://www.babble.com/CS/photos/babble/images/3059/360x315.aspx (broken link)
Does not equal this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates